• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

Yes, Andy, you've hit exactly on the difference between a simple plural and a possessive plural, for " Pears' " isn't a simple plural, it's a possessive plural, which as you say indicates 'belonging to'.

I always look for any possessive indication while writing or reading so that I can sort out in my mind which it might be. With practice, it becomes automatic.
MJB

If we take another example e.g the family name Smith, Smiths' bakery would indicate that there is more than one family member in the business called Smith as opposed to Smith's yes?

A

I've enjoyed this thread since its beginning.
Many of us sharing the passion of what flies, regardless of how.
Fabulous photographs have been contributed,
along with the thoughts of good people.
Cheers!

Below, were both taken at my former favorite patch, when I lived in the area.
Confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers,
Columbia Bottoms Conservation Area

First are two Apache AH-64D helicopters
(hummingbirds hover and fly backwards)

Second, B-25, sound of those radials is still echoing.

Attachments

• IMGP7969.jpg
    IMGP7969.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 54
  • B25_K5__0139.jpg
    B25_K5__0139.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 60
Today for a change I decided to revisit my old patch next to the airport I used to go with my Grandpa to watch planes land & take off. Brought back fond memories I hadn't been back down for a couple of years.

Attachments

• IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 77
Beluga

Quite often see these going over (was at the Chocks Away Café at Broughton once when and saw one take off) but don't usually have a camera to hand. Today I was photographing the Long-tailed Duck on Fagl Lane Quarry Pit when Number Four put in an appearance....

Attachments

• IMG_8908.JPG
    IMG_8908.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8919.JPG
    IMG_8919.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8923.JPG
    IMG_8923.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8926.JPG
    IMG_8926.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8928.JPG
    IMG_8928.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 54
Quite often see these going over (was at the Chocks Away Café at Broughton once when and saw one take off) but don't usually have a camera to hand. Today I was photographing the Long-tailed Duck on Fagl Lane Quarry Pit when Number Four put in an appearance....

Now I am genuinely gripped!

John

Some kind of cargo plane? What is it? Airbus?

Klm B738 # Ph-bgc

I was out photographing Fieldfare at Pleasington Lancashire when this KLM B738 # PH-BGC was going around in the Rosun Hold this Morning 08/11/2017.

P.S. have a look at our sister site aviationnostalgia.com

Attachments

• IMG_4124.JPG
    IMG_4124.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 47
It is a Airbus A300B4-600ST nicknamed Guppy used for transporting aircraft parts to other Airbus Factories from Broughton UK.

There used to be Guppies based on, for instance, the Canadair CL-44 (similar to the Bristol Britannia) and the Boeing Stratoliner/Stratotanker series (itself a double-decker development of the B29 Superfortress). Airbus used a number of those for moving outsize but light cargo like fuselages and wing sections until they grew old, then produced the new generation Beluga as capably illustrated by Arch. At least one remains at Bruntingthorpe, which is a place I recommend for nostalgic Cold War spotters. I'll put a pic up in a while.

John

Been many years since I've seen the old Guppies (silver jobbies with an orange stripe, and prop rather than jet if memory serves), precursor to the Beluga. They always seemed to fly a lot higher than the Belugas, never used to see them quite so well. If I manage to get any more shots I'll be back to share them.

Hi,

Been many years since I've seen the old Guppies (silver jobbies with an orange stripe, and prop rather than jet if memory serves), precursor to the Beluga.

Not the best shot, but one of these is preserved at Airbus Finkenwerder:

Super Guppy.jpg

It appears there two more are preserved, one each in France and in Britain.

This one is actually a Super Guppy, recognizable by its turbine powerplants. The original "pregnant guppy" still had the Boeing 377's piston engines.

In the Super Guppy, the cockpit is part of the swing nose, which serves as front loading door. From I've read, this was rather inconvenient as it meant a lot of connections had to be broken and re-connected for before and after loading activities.

Which explains the unique and peculiar shape of its successor, the Beluga: The Beluga's cockpit is below the main fuselage section in order to keep it clear of the front loading door and avoid a lot of unnecessary complication!

Regards,

Henning

Took me a while to find these, can hardly believe it was 2012 when I went to Bruntingthorpe for a Cold War Jets day. Two bonus shots, thought I might as well make use of the facility to post five. Brunty only does fast taxi runs, as the CAA (Campaign Against Aviation - oh no, its the Civil Aviation Authority, I always forget) doesn't like the idea of civilians aviating aeroplanes above the speed of sound. Rather ignoring the fact that airlines used to do it. Anyway:

Super Guppy X 3

Canberra (don't worry, all that smoke is just the starting system, it's supposed to do that)

The incomparable English Electric Lightning

John

Attachments

• 2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (9).JPG
    2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (9).JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (10).JPG
    2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (10).JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (11).JPG
    2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (11).JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (19).JPG
    2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (19).JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (41).JPG
    2012_08_26_Bruntingthorpe (41).JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 56
To answer the thread title: Yes, love them both....but not when tw@ts like this are allowed in the cockpit :-@

Taken today over Pagham Harbour.....at some points he can't have been more than 40ft off the deck....absolutely ridiculous and when the literally thousands of waterfowl and waders flushed up (and he still kept circling lower!) it was amazing that he didn't get a Brent through the canopy. Pr1ck

_X0A8513 (Large).jpg_X0A8524 (Large).jpg_X0A8531 (Large).jpg_X0A8551 (Large).jpg_X0A8562 (Large).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back