• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this the right forum for Birding Trips advice? In which case, S France, January! (1 Viewer)

Apologies if I'm not using the right forum - please redirect me if that's so.

A friend of mine and I are heading to S France at the very beginning of 2018.

Two things: one, it would be great to know if there are any local guides who might take us to good spots and save valuable time; two, and failing that, we would love some advice about where to find some of our target birds (realizing that some are easier than others, and some are really unlikely):

- Wallcreeper
- Alpine Accentor
- Citril Finch
- Snow Finch
- Eagle Owl
- Moustached Warbler
- Pin-tailed Sandgrouse
- Great Spotted Eagle (still there?)
- Long-legged Buzzard (still there?)
- Bonelli's Eagle
- Nutcracker
- Little Bustard
- Calandra Lark
- Hazel Grouse

Matt

Matt - I've moved your thread to the 'France' forum, which is the best place to ask for advice on all things related to birding in that country.

The Camargue are is likely to be your best bet for many of those species, I would say. Les Baux de Provence is good for Wallcreeper and Alpine Accentor in the winter. I've seen Little Bustard fairly easily on the plain west of Miramas and also at the airfield at Salon Eyguieres.

Whereabouts in the South of France are you going? Birding in the Languedoc provides guided tours, and there are a couple of downloadable guides on their website that may be of help to you. They may also be able to point you towards local guides, depending on where you're headed. I haven't used their services, but have downloaded the guides since we often go birding down there. https://birdinglanguedoc.com/birding-languedoc/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back