• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 20-60x zoom lens (1 Viewer)

Gaz Shilton

United Kingdom
Debating whether to purchase a zoom lens for my APO 77. Can anyone give me an honest opinion to this question. Bought the scope with a 32x :h?:

Well worth buying - but you'll still find plenty of occasions when you put the 32x back on as the zoom has a far narrower field of view. Surprisingly bright and sharp, though - a lovely piece of optics and engineering.

scampo said:
Well worth buying - but you'll still find plenty of occasions when you put the 32x back on as the zoom has a far narrower field of view. Surprisingly bright and sharp, though - a lovely piece of optics and engineering.
Thanx v.much for that.Now just need to convince the wife!!! :frog:

scampo said:

Agreed

Mark

M N Reeder said:
Agreed

Mark

Gaz: If it helps to convince your wife with more votes, here is one more: I can only fully agree, as well. I have used the zoom for years, and only recently added a 32x. I still mostly use the zoom, however, because of the greater versatility. It is truly a superb piece of optics. I bought the 32x because I tried to get a somewhat wider field, but I think the possibility to zoom in is more important to me in most cases.

Good luck!

Robert

Another vote of confidence in the zoom eyepiece - it is excellent I would not be without it. Worth having a look around too as you can sometimes pick them up cheap... Just looked on warehouseexpress.com and they have a mail order return one for £139 - may be worth looking at.

I have the 32w and the zoom and I use both regularly. The zoom I find particularly useful for digiscoping and it has greater flexibility. But I still use the 32 a lot for "general" birding particularly on days where (because of wind, heat haze etc) high zooming is not practical.

Another vote from me!

Hello Gaz,
I bought my 2nd hand Apo 77 with a 32x lens...and later bought a 20-60 zoom from warehouse express. The 32x has not been out of it's box since!!!
Cheers Dave

It must depend on the kind of birdwatching you do - a good zoom is very useful, but a super wide angle comes into its own like no other when scanning a reservoir, sea watching or watching, say, a flock of finches.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back