• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Swan in New Jersey (with pics) (1 Viewer)

usman

So last summer, I went to feed the ducks near my house in New Jersey (USA) and I found a Black Swan.

Here are pictures of it: one and two

I thought it was a goose, but my friend found this picture proving me wrong.

SO MY QUESTION IS, what's a Black Swan doing in New Jersey??? According to the link above, it's only supposed to be in Australia and New Zealand.

Last edited:
They're introduced to Europe apparently but they are also ornamental birds so your Black Swan could be an escapee. A couple years back, there were some reports of Black Swan in Louisiana swamps but I don't think anyone serious saw them and I think the conclusion was that it was a case of hysteria? But since I have encountered folks occasionally who had Black Swan on their ponds as ornamentals, I'm not so sure these people didn't see what they thought they saw.

Hi Usman,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Guess you're answer is in the link photo - it escaped from Sedgwick County Zoo . . . or whatever other zoo is nearest to you. Or at least from someone who keeps them as pets (you'd be surprised what some people like to have!!)

I see them escaped over here (northeast England) from time to time as well

Michael

peachfront said:
They're introduced to Europe apparently but they are also ornamental birds so your Black Swan could be an escapee. A couple years back, there were some reports of Black Swan in Louisiana swamps but I don't think anyone serious saw them and I think the conclusion was that it was a case of hysteria? But since I have encountered folks occasionally who had Black Swan on their ponds as ornamentals, I'm not so sure these people didn't see what they thought they saw.
Thanks for your reply, I'll look up my local INS. :)

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Usman,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Guess you're answer is in the link photo - it escaped from Sedgwick County Zoo . . . or whatever other zoo is nearest to you. Or at least from someone who keeps them as pets (you'd be surprised what some people like to have!!)

I see them escaped over here (northeast England) from time to time as well

Michael
Thanks for your reply. Shouldn't importing non-native species like this be illegal? I recall reading that the mute swan has turned into a huge pest after it was introduced to the United States.

Seaside Heights Black Swan Photos

My wife returned from visiting her parents in Seaside Heights, NJ where this black swan visited their dock. We just got the photos back, enjoy!

Attachments

• Black Swan (1).jpg
    Black Swan (1).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Black Swan (2).jpg
    Black Swan (2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Black Swan (3).jpg
    Black Swan (3).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 211
  • Black Swan (4).jpg
    Black Swan (4).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Black Swan.jpg
    Black Swan.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 202
Very nice! I noticed that the black swan I saw was very aggressive, did you get the same impression?

I have never seen them being aggressive myself. I wonder if they are? Maybe that they are a success, where they end up.

I have seen lots of Black Swan escapees. And I have heard that they are supposed to be pretty mean too, even though I have found Mute Swans more to be like that. In Long Island, where there are very many Mute Swans, I used to be chased away by them. Once I thought I stand and be brave and I got a bad bite on a finger!

Found 3 black swans in Towaco NJ this morning. They definitely look lost.
Sorry for bumping a super old thread, but it came up on google and I already had an account here :)
IMG_20130401_073913.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back