• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RAW Problems with CS3. (1 Viewer)

Shaggy2070

I recently reformatted my hard-disk and started with a fresh reboot. Before I "wiped" the computer I used Photoshop CS3 and reinstalled it the other day.
I opened CS3 clicked "Help> About Plug-in > Camera RAW" and it says Version 4.0, which doesn't read my Canon 450D CR2 files, so I downloaded the "Camera RAW" update and went to put it in the plug-in file within CS3. The downloaded version is 4.6 which does read my CR2 files.
I know you are supposed to open the CS3 files on the computer, move the old Camera RAW Plug-in and replace it with the new one, but there is no Camera RAW Plug-in there:h?:. So I just pasted the updated 4.6 version in and tried that.
Now the Raw files will open in CS3, but I cannot see the image thumbnail in Adobe Bridge like I used to. I have to open the file to see which shot it is:C.

Now when I open CS3 and click on "Help> About Plug-in >" there are two Camera Raw in the plug-in list, version 4.0 & 4.6. I know they can conflict with each other but how can I remove Version 4.0 if I can't find it in the Plug-in files:-C???
I hope all this makes sense.

BTW I'm pretty dumb with computers so if anyone can help me please make it as easy to understand as possible;):-O.

Cheers Shaggy2070.

I found this article from Adobe when you list 2 different RAW viewers. Which sounds like your issue.

Solution 2: Remove and reinstall Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

If Photoshop or Photoshop Elements is loading multiple instances of the Camera Raw plug-in, then these plug-ins conflict with each other. To resolve this problem, remove and then reinstall Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

Important: Before you uninstall the software, make sure that you have the installation media to reinstall it. Replacement media isn’t available for previous versions of Adobe software.

To remove Photoshop or Photoshop Elements on Mac OS:

1. Quit all Adobe applications.
2. Back up any personal files, including third-party plug-ins, you want to save in the Applications/Adobe Photoshop [version] folder or the Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements [version] folder.
3. Do one of the following:

* If you have Photoshop CS3 or later or Photoshop Elements 6, double-click the uninstaller for your application or for your edition of Adobe Creative Suite in /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers. Then, follow the onscreen instructions to remove Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.
* If you have an earlier version of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, drag the Adobe Photoshop [version] folder or the Adobe Photoshop Elements [version] folder from the Applications folder to the Trash.
4. In the Finder, navigate to /Library/Application Support/Adobe.

Note: This file path refers to the Library folder at the root level of the startup disk volume. It does not refer to the Library folder inside the user Home folder.

5. If you see a folder named Plug-Ins in the Adobe folder, then drag the Plug-Ins folder to the Trash.
6. Restart your computer.
7. Choose Finder > Empty Trash. If the Trash does not empty completely because it contains locked files, press the Option key and choose Finder > Empty Trash.

To remove Photoshop or Photoshop Elements on Windows:

1. Close all Adobe applications.
2. Back up any personal files, including third-party plug-ins, you want to save from the Program Files/Adobe Photoshop [version] folder or the Program Files/Photoshop Elements [version] folder.
3. Choose Start > Control Panel (or Start > Settings > Control Panel), and then do one of the following:

* Windows XP: Open Add Or Remove Programs.
* Windows Vista, WIndows 7: Select Uninstall A Program from the Programs section of the Control Panel Home. Or, if you are in Classic view, open Programs And Features.
4. Select your version of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements from the list of installed programs, and then click Change/Remove (Windows XP) or Uninstall (Windows Vista, WIndows 7).

Note: If you have Photoshop installed as part of a suite, select your edition of Adobe Creative Suite from the list of installed programs.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove Photoshop or Photoshop Elements..
6. In Windows Explorer, navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe.
7. If you see a folder named Plug-Ins in the Adobe folder, then delete the Plug-Ins folder.

After you have removed Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, reinstall the application using your original installation media. Then, try to open your raw image. If you cannot open a raw image, then repeat the instructions in Before you begin, above.

If it's a valid copy of CS3 have you tried using the Updater to see if there are any updates for the application? That might work better than downloading just the ACR Plug-in. Having said that, I use a Mac so it might be completely different on a PC.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back