• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and Simple Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

pkv

Hello...I'm new to this forum...so Hi!

I hope it is appropriate to post the following question re "simple digiscoping"

My Nikon 4500 has finally packed up (the zoom mechanism isn't working). I have a second broken model so tried to get one of the two working, but the camera shop advised against this...as the cost would be prohibitive for an uncertain result.

I only need a camera for very simple digiscoping...and this just for photos for my blog and to send to people who see my colour ringed gulls. See blog for examples www.guernseygulls.blogspot.com

Of course internal zoom...and no gap between the lens and cover (when open or removed) is vital so that I can simply put the camera lens on the eyepiece(no connector) to zoom in (hence internal zoom)...and click away...

However...most digitals seem to have external zoom . I just wondered if someone could please advise on a suitable camera.

I emphasise that I am not a photographer...and photographing the gulls is very secondary to recording the colour ring numbers - hence the need to be able to take a quick photo without adapters/connectors (unless they just fit on and off very easily) etc.

Apologies if this is not the right forum to ask...but very grateful if anyone can either advise or point me in the right direction. Many thanks pkv

Hi pkv and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Digiscoping forum - I'm sure you'll soon get the advice you need.

D

Simple Digiscoping

Hi

Can someone please advise on simple digiscoping. I have a Swarovski ATS 80HD scope, which I use with a 20-60 zoom.
I would like to be able to take very quick digiscope images (for record purposes) of colour ringed birds in my projects. I have tried using a simple digital camera with internal zoom against the eyepiece, but this doesn't work at all - so I guess I'm going to have to use some sort of adapter?

Is there a simple - easy to slip on and off - connector for this scope...and if so what would be a suitable camera (given that I only need a reasonable quality). It doesn't even need to be a new camera..so an older model would be OK?

Thanks very much if anyone can advise.

Paul

Hello...I'm new to this forum...so Hi!

I hope it is appropriate to post the following question re "simple digiscoping"

My Nikon 4500 has finally packed up (the zoom mechanism isn't working). I have a second broken model so tried to get one of the two working, but the camera shop advised against this...as the cost would be prohibitive for an uncertain result.

I only need a camera for very simple digiscoping...and this just for photos for my blog and to send to people who see my colour ringed gulls. See blog for examples www.guernseygulls.blogspot.com

Of course internal zoom...and no gap between the lens and cover (when open or removed) is vital so that I can simply put the camera lens on the eyepiece(no connector) to zoom in (hence internal zoom)...and click away...

However...most digitals seem to have external zoom . I just wondered if someone could please advise on a suitable camera.

I emphasise that I am not a photographer...and photographing the gulls is very secondary to recording the colour ring numbers - hence the need to be able to take a quick photo without adapters/connectors (unless they just fit on and off very easily) etc.

Apologies if this is not the right forum to ask...but very grateful if anyone can either advise or point me in the right direction. Many thanks pkv

Hi Paul, sorry you haven't had a response to your question so far. This might be worth looking into (used):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-NV3-Digital-Camera-MP3/dp/B000H09QVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296679464&sr=1-1

This guy uses one with the same scope as you, though I see his site hasn't been updated recently. No adapter, though I think 'In Focus' optics shops used to sell one specifically for this camera as part of a kit. You might be able to acquire one via a request on the classifieds section here on BF, though I can confirm that it does work hand held as I used to own this camera too and only sold it recently as I hardly used it (prefer a more complicated camera!) I have the same scope & EP as you.

http://www.freewebs.com/richbonser/

ATB

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for Advice

Thanks very much Steve. I will give this a go. The photos on Richard's web site are more than good enough for my purposes! Much appreciated!

Best Wishes

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back