• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar 10x32 (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Anybody have this binocular or tried it out. Opinions welcome. Also are there any binoculars comparable to this bin eg 10x lighweight, view etc. Thanks Ger.

According to Optics4Birding, the 10x32 model was introduced in 2005, so somebody must have tried them by now. Perhaps “Meopta Man” (Frank D.). He’s tried or owned just about every other model in the Meostar series.

With Dennis pushing his 8x32 FLs every time someone mentions a midsized bin, I have to balance the scales and put in a plug for the 10x35 EII. I doubt if the 10x32 Meopta matches its resolution, although I did think it matched its FOV.

O4B, B&H Photo and SWFA all list the 10x32’s FOV as 6.9*! I guess one copied from the other, obviously Meopta must be correct.

Check out the specs:
http://www.optics4birding.com/meopta-meostar-b1-10x32-binoculars.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/616450-USA/Meopta_520490_10x32_MeoStar_B1_Binocular.html

http://swfa.com/Meopta-10x32-Meostar-Binocular-P45957.aspx

Brock

Thanks for the links and replies. I have a pair of Minox hg 8x33 so I wont be looking for another 8x midsized (Disclaimer: Doesnt mean I wont ever get another 8x in the future;)) I'm looking for a good midsized bin at 10x and the Meopta was the one that stood out for me.

I used to own a pair of nikon e11 8x and yes they are an excellent bin with one flaw, they are not waterproof. I am a waterproof nut, If the bin is not waterproof its off the list.

Looking through previous threads I came across Cabelas. I'm guessing this is something like Zen ray and Hawke same bin different name or am I completely gone sideways.

Another question are Meopta bringing out a hd bin with super secret coatings that if found out you'll be getting a call from the StB.

Anyways, Meopta, still looking for users or for people or persons who have tried this bin out. Thanks Ger.

If you can locate a now discontinued Nikon 10 x 32 HG L/LX L, (Now renamed "Premier" after Nikon introduced the EDG. There is no 10 x 32 Premier.) you will find it more than satisfactory and maybe even better than Meopta's version. You can find a detailed analysis of them in this Alula review by Kimmo Absetz.

http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_8_Leicaultravid_GB.shtml

I have one and happily used it for several years until I got the 10 x 32 EDG. IMO a new one would be worth the same as a new Meopta.

Bob

Thanks Bob, The review links to the Nikon 10x32 hg. Is that the bin you were talking about as opposed to the hg L which I think is still in production.(I could be wrong on that though). Looking at the specs the nikon is over a 100grams heavier than the meopta which is quite a bit heavier and with my dodgy neck, the lighter the better. Ger.

Hi Squidge,
Yes, it is the HG. I believe that it is 20 grams heavier than the HG L which replaced it and which weighs 695 grams. http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/highgrade/x32/spec.htm So they are about 4 ounces heavier than the Meopta. (Nikons always seem to run big compared to other binoculars.)

I believe that the HG also used lead glass rather than the eco glass used in the later HG l/LX L models. I will hazard a guess that Brock will know this. In any case they are known as "Premier" now and the 10 x 32 format has been discontinued so you will have to look for an older HG L/LX L. HG means high grade I believe.

I've never used the HG but I know my eyes and I know I would have a hard time distinguishing them from my LX L. My 10 x 32 LX L is not quite as good optically (not as bright as the EDG which has dielectric prisms) and ergonomically as my new 10 x 32 EDG but it is in all respects a first rate binocular which I have no qualms calling an "alpha." It has a huge sweet spot, great edges out past 90% of the view and outstanding glare control.

Bob

Last edited:
Trying to find info on the older hg is like trying to find hens teeth. Although, being 20g heavier than the hgL makes them pretty heavy considering I sold a pair of Minox hg's 8x43 (695g) because I wanted something lighter.

There are excellent reviews on the HG L and indeed I would class them as an alpha based on said reviews, specs and price.

Another bin that has come up in my quest is the bushnell legend hd 10x36. These fit all the criteria aswell, Looks like I will have a lot more research to do before I take the plunge. Ger.

Brock,

Sorry my friend. I have never tried, nor seen, the 10x32 version. I did own the 8x32 a couple of years ago and found a cracking deal on a new one just recently. Loooovvvvveee the ergonomics, the flat field and the large sweet spot. It still has a bit of a yellow/green color bias but not to the point where I think it takes away from the overall enjoyment level of the image.

.....you might have to ask the real "Meopta Man" that posts here on the forums. It is probably the only configuration from Meopta that I did not try, though I look forward to checking out the new ED glass objective versions when they finally filter down to the 8x42.

Hi everyone,

The Meostar B1 line of binoculars did come out in 2005, but our 32mm offerings, the 8x and 10x did not come out until 2007-2008 (8x then 10x). Generally speaking, the 8x32 has been the more popular and better selling version. Personally I use a pair of the 10x32's when hiking and outdoor observation...the 32mm's are the series that fit my hands the best and are convenient when backpacking.

Hi everyone,

The Meostar B1 line of binoculars did come out in 2005, but our 32mm offerings, the 8x and 10x did not come out until 2007-2008 (8x then 10x). Generally speaking, the 8x32 has been the more popular and better selling version. Personally I use a pair of the 10x32's when hiking and outdoor observation...the 32mm's are the series that fit my hands the best and are convenient when backpacking.

Hi MeoptaMan, I am interested in the 10x42. I read a review that there are some issues with the colour of the image and difference in transmission between the left and the right. the http://www.allbinos.com/index.php?test=lornetki&test_l=149.

Are these true / or are they problems with the piece tested. Also, where can I try out a meostar in Scotland (All the dealers seem to be dealing with rifle scopes)?

Thanks,
Jaysan

Slightly off topic, and my excuses to you Meopta fans, but I think that the Zeiss 10x32 FL is the 10x32 with its enormous AFOV, brightness, easy eye placement and perceived depth of field for a 10x. It behaves better than most 8x32s, for example a lot better than my previous Minox HG 8x33.

I'd love to own the Meopta 8x32 too, but as a spectacle wearer I think the 10x32 is not very usable.
(and I can say that there are miles between the FL and the Swaro EL in this respect, where I found the EL unusable)

If funds would allow I'd go for the Zeiss fl 10x without hesitation but as these are around £500 dearer they are out of my range unless I have a windfall or some Philantropist were to donate to ger's optics fund.:-O

Speaking of the 10x32 Nikon HG.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-PREMI...120807085786?pt=Binocular&hash=item1c20a9d6da

That is one heck of a price.

Check out the box. It says LX. They are not "Premiers" as advertised, but the original Venturers. I figured that since Bob said Nikon dropped the 10x32. Still not a bad price for eBay though I've seen them sell for about this price on Amart.

The slower focuser, open bridge ergos and ED glass in the 10x32 EDG I would probably be more to my liking. Only $1,159.99 new on Amazon! That is one heck of a price considering that Anacortes is selling the same model (7564) for $1,799.95!

Well, I'm "full up" on tens right now with the EII and SE so I will have to pass on these bargain bins. But I gotta feeling that Frank is going to pull the trigger on the 10x32 LX.

Brock

Last edited:
Brock,

You know I would be tempted if they were the 8x32s but I just never could get comfortable with the 10x32 configuration. Now if there just was a 10x50 Venturer!

;)

Brock,

You know I would be tempted if they were the 8x32s but I just never could get comfortable with the 10x32 configuration. Now if there just was a 10x50 Venturer!

;)

Me neither. 10x35 is as low as I care to limbo. However, Bob loves his 10x32 EDG, and the 10x32 FL has gotten rave reviews. So perhaps at the alpha level, the 10x32 might be worth considering.

Surprisingly nobody bought the 10x32 LX for $419. It was a private listing, that might have something to do with it.

Nikon has shunned larger aperture bins in its premium lines. The largest they have to offer is the 12x50 SE. Nikon's larger apertures bins are confined to the lower end.

That might be the downside to trying to be everything to everybody and manufacturing so many different lines of bins compared to the Big Three.

Meopta has two tiers now, and from what MeoptaMan said it sounds like they only plan to offer the "HD" in 10x42 and 8x42 configurations. They will probably be HDizing the 8x32 and 10x32 models too since birders have a greater need for CA control than hunters.

As Wayne Mones said in Audubon Magazine, we are living in the Golden Age of Binoculars. Unfortunately, some of those Golden Age binoculars cost their weight in gold! -:)

Brock

Hi MeoptaMan, I am interested in the 10x42. I read a review that there are some issues with the colour of the image and difference in transmission between the left and the right. the http://www.allbinos.com/index.php?test=lornetki&test_l=149.

Are these true / or are they problems with the piece tested. Also, where can I try out a meostar in Scotland (All the dealers seem to be dealing with rifle scopes)?

Thanks,
Jaysan

Hi Jaysan,

McGregor's is a dealer up in Scotland that I know off the top of my head. Otherwise you can get in contact with our UK distributor Marchwood (www.marchwooduk.co.uk) for more information on dealers in your area.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back