• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clueless (1 Viewer)

Hi folks,
I am a newbie to both the forum and scoping, I am looking to put a compact digital point and shoot on a Celestron Ultima 80. Every article I read says to get a camera with a 3 or 4 times zoom, however most of the newer cameras have much larger zooms.the one I have in mind is a canon is130 that has an 8 x. Can anyone advise on whether or not it would be suitable or should I look for something old and used. Thanks in advance.
Steve

Hio Steve,

Try to get as close as possible with the eyepiece from your camera lens and see the level of vignetting. If too much, backward a bit and see from it.

Hi folks,
I am a newbie to both the forum and scoping, I am looking to put a compact digital point and shoot on a Celestron Ultima 80. Every article I read says to get a camera with a 3 or 4 times zoom, however most of the newer cameras have much larger zooms.the one I have in mind is a canon is130 that has an 8 x. Can anyone advise on whether or not it would be suitable or should I look for something old and used. Thanks in advance.
Steve

Steve,
You should be able to find a Canon with a 4/5x zoom which is more likely to work.
Neil

Steve,
You should be able to find a Canon with a 4/5x zoom which is more likely to work.
Neil

Just got hold of a Nikon s550 which has a 5x but am having problems setting it up right, I think it's going to be a long process with lots of deleted shots! The quality of image I an getting at present is really poor, however early days yet.
Steve

Just got hold of a Nikon s550 which has a 5x but am having problems setting it up right, I think it's going to be a long process with lots of deleted shots! The quality of image I an getting at present is really poor, however early days yet.
Steve

Hi Steve, hope I am not hijacking your thread her (mods please remove if I am) but it sounds like you have more or less the set up I may getting, is the Celestron ultra 80 living up to expectations? and I will later be needing to get a camera as well, so I am very interested in what you have, what tripod did you get for the Ultra 80?

Hi Steve, hope I am not hijacking your thread her (mods please remove if I am) but it sounds like you have more or less the set up I may getting, is the Celestron ultra 80 living up to expectations? and I will later be needing to get a camera as well, so I am very interested in what you have, what tripod did you get for the Ultra 80?

Hi Sandra
I don't mind at all, we all have to learn and have fun!! I love the scope, it's my first and while it isn't the best it is living up to my expectations. I have only used it in the back yard at present since we have had over 3 feet of snow since the beginning of December. I am just a beginner in both birding and scoping, but did not want to spend a fortune. I already had a manfroto 190XPROB which I bought for my camera set up so I am using that at present.
Have fun and good luck.
Steve

Steve

Steve,
Post a photo of your setup and post a photo of what you get at wide zoom and about 50 mm. Also select Macro mode as this aids focusing and Aperture Priority. Make sure the aperture is low e.g. f3.5
Neil.

Steve,
Post a photo of your setup and post a photo of what you get at wide zoom and about 50 mm. Also select Macro mode as this aids focusing and Aperture Priority. Make sure the aperture is low e.g. f3.5
Neil.
Hi Neil
If I can get the camera working again I will post, battery has failed and will not charge, waiting for replacement to come through the mail, failing that will either abandon all hope, get an adapter for the Pentax DSLR or buy a new canon point and shoot. Other than than I think I will grab a beer from the fridge and just drink instead!!!
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back