• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon1 V2 with Swarovski STX 85 (1 Viewer)

Harrish,
Help me understand better your reasons for liking the 85 over the 95. I thought the 95 would have better light gathering capabilities than the 85 and therefore a smaller aperture (number wise). It seems most on here are shooting with the 95. Any assistance understanding your choice would be appreciated as the 85 is cheaper. Thanks,
Frank

Sorry Frank but as I already wrote in another thread:

... the ATX 85 because the 85 mm has a starting aperture which is more open than the 95 mm. You win +2/3 exposure (= more light).
The ATX 95 is only better for birding than the ATX 85 but noz for digiscoping.

rgds Werner

Harrish,
Help me understand better your reasons for liking the 85 over the 95. I thought the 95 would have better light gathering capabilities than the 85 and therefore a smaller aperture (number wise). It seems most on here are shooting with the 95. Any assistance understanding your choice would be appreciated as the 85 is cheaper. Thanks,
Frank

Harrish,
Frank

Werner has already responded to this. Specifications aside(F9.6 Vs F8), as you zoom in, the aperture value increases, this in turn reduces the DOF. It is very difficult to get good details at such super magnification and somewhat frustrating in digiscoping but, good for bird watching.
Other than that the bokeh( busy back ground), image quality due to sensitive aperture value and stability factor( even with a sturdy tripod it takes time) made me decide on 85.
Thank you.
Harish

Last edited:
Good work Harish. The change of scope worked well for you.
I agree that the 95 mm is a bit much for most people. Ideally I would like a range of 20 - 50x in the eyepiece for digiscoping. I go from Great Egrets to Red-necked Stints at 30 meters.
Neil.

This question is for the digiscoping experts that frequent this forum. I realize this is primarily a bird forum, however, if one were going to be using the Swaro for both birds as well as larger mammals at distance (bears, mountain goats and bighorn sheep) would the 85 still be the favored over the 95?

This question is for the digiscoping experts that frequent this forum. I realize this is primarily a bird forum, however, if one were going to be using the Swaro for both birds as well as larger mammals at distance (bears, mountain goats and bighorn sheep) would the 85 still be the favored over the 95?

Although I have not tried it, my answer is yes. If you can spot a bird from far away it should not be too difficult to spot a large animal with the 85, I think.
Harish

Harish,

Which digiscoping adapter are you using? TSL APO?

Thanks,

Dave

No, I am not to happy with the quality of images from TLS APO. I am using the
DCBll adapter. I bought a couple of extra mounting plates so I can switch from N1 to M4/3. Lately, it has been all N1 V2 though.
Harish

Anything at distance would be better with the bigger objective of the 95 mm. Especially in clear mountain air as you be able to get the best out of it. Also useful for raptor nests.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back