• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Thanks Ben Nevis, it's great to be back. Not long before we will meet up in the north. Looking forward to it.
Hi Craig, if you can post the better one, that would be great, mine are really poor but still recognizable. I'm sure yours will be better though! I saw them by the telegraph wires too. Mike

Cala sant Vicenc gave 3 ospreys flying west, one doubled back so might be two. Redstart in orchard near pines, small eagle high up and far away. Shag in harbour as well. Back in PP I had possibly the best 20 minutes of birding anywhere in my life considering the circumstances. There is a small park running South for 2/300 metres from the Bocquer Valley roundabout. Playground, dog run, gym, people, winos, traffic and dog walkers. Today it was dripping with warblers as we walked up from the sea. Check those sparrows out, NO, among the sparrows I had willow warbler, chiffchaff, wood warbler, whitethroat, pied flycatchers, garden warbler and redstart. So much moving I did not know where to look. Talked to a Geordie from South Shields who says it has been like this for two or three days, waves of stuff coming through. Went back later on and the numbers were down but the variety was as good. Topped off with a whinchat just off the Bocquer car park. The valley itself was relatively quiet - spotted fly and crag martins. As I am in the Puerto Azul right beside the park I need a slap for not checking it out last year when I could see it from the balcony !! 5 days left this year so it will get a daily check or maybe two.

Hoping for a car tomorrow and a drive/ walk to Lluc monastery, but maybe I should just stay in the park!!

Arrived Saturday for 12 days Holiday in Puerto pollensa To chill and some good birding!
Current sightings:
Sat29th Apr: 4 Red Footed falcon from Transfer.
Sun 30th: area around c'an cuarasa: 1x Reed warbler, 1x Spotless Starling, 1x Turtle dove, Bee-eater 'heard', 2+ Pallid Swift picked out of 100's of moving Swifts.
Foot end of Boquer Valley: Probale Female COLLARED FLY on avenue by roundabout, Redstart 1m, 8 Crag mart below casa boquer, Black Vulture x2.
May 01st: 'Back Lanes' towards Llenaire, 4 moving Tree pipit, 3 Msh harrier through, Female MONTY through (good view), 3x GOLDEN ORIOLE inc 1ad Male at top of lane towards Hotel, Rr Swallow X1, 3x Blck Vulture, plus 1 GRIFFON circling with 2 of Black, 1x limping Stone curlew in field by roundabout.
Albufreta: 12x Lit R plot & 2 Dunlin.
Puerto Poll, good movement of hirundines along front around 7.30pm inc 1x Rr Swallow and several Pallid Swift.

Lishers

Cala sant Vicenc gave 3 ospreys flying west, one doubled back so might be two. Redstart in orchard near pines, small eagle high up and far away. Shag in harbour as well. Back in PP I had possibly the best 20 minutes of birding anywhere in my life considering the circumstances. There is a small park running South for 2/300 metres from the Bocquer Valley roundabout. Playground, dog run, gym, people, winos, traffic and dog walkers. Today it was dripping with warblers as we walked up from the sea. Check those sparrows out, NO, among the sparrows I had willow warbler, chiffchaff, wood warbler, whitethroat, pied flycatchers, garden warbler and redstart. So much moving I did not know where to look. Talked to a Geordie from South Shields who says it has been like this for two or three days, waves of stuff coming through. Went back later on and the numbers were down but the variety was as good. Topped off with a whinchat just off the Bocquer car park. The valley itself was relatively quiet - spotted fly and crag martins. As I am in the Puerto Azul right beside the park I need a slap for not checking it out last year when I could see it from the balcony !! 5 days left this year so it will get a daily check or maybe two.

Hoping for a car tomorrow and a drive/ walk to Lluc monastery, but maybe I should just stay in the park!!

Derek, this was the park I was in, probably around half two! Great place, will definitely check it again before I leave! Debbie

02 May, 06.45 - 09.30. Around Llanerie back lane. (Puerto pollensa)
2 Golden oriole in flight, 5 Bee-eater, Wryneck singing, 2 Pallid Swift, and 2 good examples of (yellow throated)Grey headed wag (thunbergi)and 1 uk (flavaissama) in with 20+ Iberiae types in sheep field.

Cubar res, a surprise female Ring Ouzel and 2 moltonis warbler (lifer) were the main highlights but usual black, griffon vultures, booted eagles, peregrines, cirl buntings, Firecrest and 5 Viper snake things.

Just back from Vilafranca after a short visit around four until five thirty. Lots of heat haze but I saw at least four Red-footed Falcons, only one was a male. I have some pretty appalling photos but good enough for ID.
There were a few birders there when I left so I hope they have further news. In previous years the numbers tended to build up so it's a site worth keeping an eye on for the coming days.
Good luck to anyone who goes.
I also saw what may have been a female Lesser kestrel but I'm not 100% because it was distant. I believe Jason saw four earlier in the day so if anyone has more news it would be good to have confirmation that they are still there.
Thanks, great meeting up with other birders. Mike

Welcome back Mike..still have not seen your US list..looking forward to being there next week..keep those birds there!!!

Mike Swiss

Just back from Vilafranca after a short visit around four until five thirty. Lots of heat haze but I saw at least four Red-footed Falcons, only one was a male. I have some pretty appalling photos but good enough for ID.
There were a few birders there when I left so I hope they have further news. In previous years the numbers tended to build up so it's a site worth keeping an eye on for the coming days.
I also saw what may have been a female Lesser kestrel but I'm not 100% because it was distant. I believe Jason saw four earlier in the day so if anyone has more news it would be good to have confirmation that they are still there.

Hi mike i felt i had at least 2 female lesser kestrels yesterday but thought the light was playing tricks on me. Now you say they are there im confident thats what they were.

5 Great White Egret flew over the hotel together this evening. EIX LAGOTEL forgot to mention the calling wryneck and plenty of pied flys at cuber res.

Graham and I were there between 08.15 and 09.00hr en route to the airport. We saw a minimum of six RFF inc 3 males. There were a couple of "Kestrels" on the pylons too far away in the heat haze to allow specific ID - are Lessers still coming through this late in the Spring? - Nick

Attachments

• RFF.jpg
    RFF.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 68
A couple of hours at the pools behind Lidl in Puerto Alcudia this morning. RC Pochard Lt ringed plovers, common sandpiper, plenty of coot and Lt grebes busy with young.

I can confirm a male Lesser Kestrel at Villafranca today, and maybe a female with it but too distant to ID. Also two female RFF at Maria del Salut, very distant for decent pictures.

Attachments

• Lesser Kestrel.jpg
    Lesser Kestrel.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Red-footed Falcon.jpg
    Red-footed Falcon.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 88
Nice photos Patrick, certainly better than mine. The photo I have of a female kestrel is without much doubt, a Lesser kestrel. I didn't see any males.
I think the dates are well within range for this species. It will be interesting to see how many more pass through in the next few days. Mike

Just back from Parc Mondrago listening for Nightjars. Nothing yet but at least four calling Scop's owls. Interesting to note the difference between the male and female, they were "duetting". Seeing them is another matter though. They are often attracted to the street lamps behind our apartments, presumably hunting all the moths and insects which are attracted to the light. Nightingales were everywhere as usual and Stone curlews were very vocal. A nice way to end a day's birding. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back