• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (1 Viewer)

If the finders of the recent rarities, i.e. Corncrake, Spectacled Warbler and Calandra Lark, could please submit these sightings to the recorder, it would be much appreciated.
Details of how to do this are provided on post 567 by estebannic. Thanks.
I have a friend who has had a nasty fall and I have offered to take him for treatment tomorrow, so I may not be able to make it to the tower after. It may be a bit chaotic anyway. I will probably go in the week instead. Mike

I have just been to the site where the Italian sparrows were seen but they must have moved on.
I will be at the tower tomorrow after all and hope some others make it up there. Mike

A few pics from April/May

Attachments

• maj may 2017 051 (640x397).jpg
    maj may 2017 051 (640x397).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 74
  • maj may 2017 092 (640x466).jpg
    maj may 2017 092 (640x466).jpg
    163 KB · Views: 87
  • maj may 2017 096 (640x428).jpg
    maj may 2017 096 (640x428).jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 99
  • maj mar 2017 081 (640x466).jpg
    maj mar 2017 081 (640x466).jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 83
  • maj mar 2017 222 (640x374).jpg
    maj mar 2017 222 (640x374).jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 85
Last day today so spent a few hours first thing at Albufera,nothing special to report apart from about a million Mosquito which had a field day with my blood.
Couple of nice summer Dunlin and Little Stint from Bishop 2 though.
Only other unusual sight was about six Viperine Snakes just over the Spanish Gates on the third bridge.
All different sizes and they seemed to be trying to cajole one injured snake into moving on but it had a large wound on it infested with flys,maybe a Heron or some other bird had had a pop at it.
One really large snake was swimming in the water next to them,I put a couple of Scandi birders onto them and they were well pleased as I don't think they had seen a snake before.
We joked that maybe we had just witnessed a Viperine funeral.
Anyway another fantastic two week visit to Mallorca and good birding to all who follow.

Cheers

Bob

Evening stroll along Fishermans Walk at Calle San Vincente. Very Quiet except the screeching of 1000s Common Swifts. Wonderful spectacle. A few Sardinian Warblers but little else except a peregrine fly past at 21.00.

Have a great Migration day tomorrow

Mike Swiss

Thanks Bob for all your posts, glad you had a good time. Have a safe trip and I hope that we get to meet up when you are next over. Mike

A nice morning spent at the tower with Lalo and friend. A bit quiet but one Honey Buzzard seen, one Black Kite, a couple of migrant Kestrels and Marsh harriers. Very close views of two Black vultures, superb.
I did get news that both Red-footed Falcons and Lesser kestrel are still being seen at Maria de la Salut. Mike

Good morning in Bocquer Valley to avoid the Iron Man road rage!

Birds seen included Wyrneck, 3 Booted Eagles, 2 Elanoras Falcons, 2 Black Vultures, Balearic and Sardinian warblers, cirl bunting, 2 Ravens and Blue Rock Thrush.

6 Bee eaters flew over later

A brief visit to S'Albuferata in the evening gave nice views of Purple Herons, Blackwinged Stilts, Common terns, Little ringed plover, Green sandpiper, Little egrets and Woodchat shrikes

The locals are having a good morning at the tower, Albercutx (that's because I went yesterday) with eleven Honey Buzzard, one Red-rumpled swallow and an Egyptian Vulture.
Egyptian Vulture usually only breed at the Arta peninsula but this year a pair have been seen around the tower most days and in the Boquer Valley. I'm not sure if they are breeding though. Mike

Morning trip to Son Real

Arrived early before the locals invade the beach.

Birds seen included Osprey and Booted Eagles fly past, Kentish Plover, Hoopoe, Thekla and Greater Short toed Lark, Tawny Pipit. So many Nightingales. No sign of Dartford or Balearic Warblers.

Visit to the hide ( Track4 ) at 13.00 - 13.30 was surprisingly busy with birds:

Tawny Pipit, Sirens, Spotted flycatcher, Crossbills, House Sparrows, Linnets, Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Great tit, Corn Bunting and Short toed Lark.

And best was a nice Turtle Dove.

Interesting to watch a Hermanns Tortoise take a drink from the pond! He managed to climb out again!

Mike

Last edited:
A lovely report Craig, a joy to read, many thanks for posting it. How I love those Collared Pratincoles!
Just one question. I was told the jellyfish were Purple stingers. Are they the same species as your photo?
Many thanks, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back