• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm gonna love this (1 Viewer)

Woody

Hi All,

I finally got out with my new scope (Kowa 822), camera (CP990) etc and, as a total beginner with both, managed to get plenty of shots of hunting kestrels.

I know that they're not the greatest digiscoped shots and that I've a long way to go, but I can't tell you how chuffed I am with them as a firts go, all hand held etc.

The best bit though is that the bird was a long way off and she just carried on hunting so I didn't disturb her at all! I hope she got her breakfast.

So thanks again for all the advice so far and I'll add my own advice for anyone thinking about getting their first scope and digicam to have a go at this:

DO IT! :t:

Attachments

• kessy.jpg
    kessy.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 316
Hi Grousemore (Do you? ;)

The kessies were all shot using a 50x eyepiece.

I suspect I'll get better, sharper shots with the 32x but that's next weeks little bit of learning. For now I'm so gobsmacked by the close up views using the 50x that I can't bring myself to take it off yet! ;)

Woody

Hi Woody, thats a promising shot you have there, well done! I know nothing about digiscoping (yet) so it will be interesting to see how you come along. Keep posting your results:t:

I'd say that is a pretty good start Woody, congratulations :t:

One of the best things about digiscoping is the lack of disturbance of the subject. One quick tip, I sharpen (or unsharp mask) every shot I take using a photo software package such as Paint Shop Pro - it boosts the images no end with very little effort.

Thanks Ian,

The shot has had a little work done on it , including unsharp mask, but I haven't gone overboard as yet.

As I said, the bird was a long way off over a hay meadow so heat haze will have played a part in softening the image as well as hand holding the camera.

I suppose it may be worth mentioning that I earn a crust as a 'digital image manager' which basically means using photoshop all day (unless I'm browsing BF of course!)

Woody

Hi Woody, looks like we are going to be treated to some wondeful shots once you get the hang of it. This is better than many peoples first shots with conventional photography. :t:

Cheers Tony, I'm looking forward to learning as the weeks go by.

If only I had more time....

Woody

Woody said:
Thanks Ian,

The shot has had a little work done on it , including unsharp mask, but I haven't gone overboard as yet.

As I said, the bird was a long way off over a hay meadow so heat haze will have played a part in softening the image as well as hand holding the camera.

I suppose it may be worth mentioning that I earn a crust as a 'digital image manager' which basically means using photoshop all day (unless I'm browsing BF of course!)

Woody

Ouch ;) I think I'll be looking for you for some tips then as I'm a no-hoper with Photoshop.
I'm finding heat-haze is my biggest problem at the moment, though as Summer is about over I should think it won't matter for much longer. Then it will be the dull overcast days to contend with :-C

Hi Ian,

since I do most of my birdwatching/photography early in the mornings I think the next problem may be camera shake from the vibrations of my teeth chattering! :)

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back