• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dimage Z1 (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
Anyone out there with knowledge of the Dimage Z1?.
As a stand alone Digital Camera and for digiscoping?.
I see that it is only a 3 MP Camera, but it takes AA batteries, has a 10X Optical Zoom., uses SD memory.
It looks like it can take a Wide Angle converter kit so in theory there is a thread somewhere!.

What I couldn't see in the writeups was whether there is the option of a remote lead

Last edited:
Diane
Thanks for the reply, I didn't find anything that specifically mentioned an adapter ring. I do like the adaptor you made for your G3 or is it a G5. It changes with what you are looking at!.
I'd like to know if anyone has stuck this little beastie up to a scope though!.
I do like the Canon G5 with its wireless but its a little pricey for me!.

On DP Review it mentions in the list of features - whether it has a lens thread - and then says yes, with adapter. On Steve's Digicams it's on page 2, features and controls, the paragraph above the third image.

Mine is the G3.

Today I managed to get my hands on a Minolta Dimage Z1, which I suspect must the only model in my area of the country at the moment! I've already tried virtually every other camera shop before finding one at Jessops in Darlington and even they only had one of them.

I spent half an hour tinkering with it running through all of it's features and comparing it with the Olympus C740. I asked for the C730 but they had none in stock. They had C720's, C740's and C750's.

IMHO compared to the C740 the Minolta had the better handling. I liked it's fast almost instant power up, it's fast speed of operation and the ease of use of it's three menu pages which each had a page to itself rather than having to scroll down through pages. It was also altogether faster in operation and locking onto focus. I could come to live wih the unusual quirky design but I'm not so sure about it's smallness in the hand. The Olympus C2100UZ is just a nice size for me to grab hold of with fingers automatically in the right places. The layout of the Z1 was very similar apart from the rear of the camera being that much smaller, though the C740 was pretty compact too. The LCD screen was a bit on the small size but very crisp. The viewfinder, electronic like the Uzi was bright and clear. Manual focus was about the same as the Uzi, no better nor worse. I think the Uzi still has the edge through it's IS, but on the whole the Minolta looked a better layout and even easier operation. For me it would mean having to buy XD media, in addition to the SM and CF that I already have, but at least it takes the right batteries, AA's. Unfortunately the shop couldn't answer my query about the addition of tele-lenses - in fact I knew more about the Z1 and the C700 series than what the assistant did. I even had to work out how to switch it on for myself ;) Nor did the handbook give any info. I could see that the barrel had a threaded section which looks as if it could be either 46mm or 49mm but I think I'll have to try the Minolta website before deciding which I'd buy. Of course I couldn't actually see any photo results on the computer, but that does seem to be the way of things nowadays for all camera purchases.

Overall I have to say that if my Uzi packs in tomorrow than I'd probably plum for the Z1 as it's almost too good to be true for it to be that well specified for that price. They can be got for around £280 over here though at Jessops they were £330, but they do price matching with competitors. Dixons had them on their books for £290, but none in stock and none expected.

It's a shame it doesn't have 5mp even for a little dearer price - some people are never satisfied!

Hi Ian and other users of the Dimage Z1
I have had mine for about a week and am getting to like it.
I bought it from buyacamera.co.uk for £274.98 inclusive of VAT and next day delivery.
Ian you mentioned XD card, but the Z1 takes SD card. I got a 256mb SD card from buyacamera for £70. I also got a SD card reader (essential I reckon) for £16.
The Minolta web site is a disaster. No use whatsoever. Nothing about lenses etc. So I can't help there.
I have taken a super Clouded Yellow butterfly with the macro which I am very pleased with. Macro looks very good.
I have only used the auto so far, but pics are very nice and clear.
I took the camera to Fratton park yesterday to take a few snaps of Pompey 1 Liverpool 0 (great game). Not bad for a pure amateur. Used the zoom which looks quite good.
I had hoped to do some digiscoping, but the vignetting is bad. You can get a whole picture with the zoom out but that makes 200x with a 20x eyepiece and is impossible to keep still. I will have to investigate clamps. Got one from Jessops to clamp it to the table.
My Coolpix 775 is much etter for digiscoping with the my Kowa.
The batteries are a nuiscance and makes the whole thing heavier. I immediately invested in rechargeables.
I also bought a binoculars case with a handle which takes the camera nicely with spare batteries.
I like the handling of the camera. But I do not like the view finder which is all grainy.
I will keep you all updated on progress.
Brian

Thanks for that Brian. I prefer to read the reviews of actual owner/users rather than relying on the advertising hype and review sites. Sorry about the XD/SD media thing - either way it means my SM will be obsolete. I think the featues and ease of use put this camera ahead of the opposition as regards my personal needs. I'd certainly miss not having an Image Stabiliser as I use the max zoom possible for most shots.

I'll hang on a while an check out the new Panasonic 12x due out next month. It has a 12x zoom, 5 mp and IS though doesn't look like it takes tele-lenses and no doubt will be a lot more expensive than the Z1.

Ian (and others),

The Panasonic has 4mp, if it had 5 mp I would probably be ordering it myself(although since we are not metric, maybe that is the difference ;)). BTW, after having read more about it, it seems like a typical camera in its abilities, nothing really great as far as shutter speed or aperture, and in fact it has less modes than my Pro90 does. This is not a negative review of the camera, just an observation. In fact, I think it is going to be a great "starter" camera (sheer speculation on my part). Panasonic has a good reputation for having user friendly cameras. I have not been able to find out yet if it has a threaded lens.

Ian and others
I am warming to the Dimage Z1. It is no good for digiscoping. But I have a little Nikon Coolpix 775 which is good for digiscoping, though no one else rates it. You should see my recent Redshank and Greenshank. You have to treat it properly.
The Dimage is very good in macro. The 10x zoom is OK, but not brill. I have tried it with waders. I got an excellent shot of an Egret relatively close up. Will keep in touch
Brian

Hi Dimage Z1 users. Another big advert in the Daily Telegraph. They must want to get rid of these cameras! I have had the Z1 for 2 months and love it. Take it everywhere. Excellent for general photos. Recharageable battries are essential. Also a big card - I have 2 Fuji 256mb cards at about £80 each. The 512mb is very expensive for some reason. Still no good for digiscoping. But macro is excellent. Does anyone else use this camera?
Brian F

Hi BrianF
still looking at the Z1 but with prices falling as they are,
I am looking at the A1. but will wait till the new year
and see whats in the sales fingers crossed.

brianfellows said:
<snip>
I have taken a super Clouded Yellow butterfly with the macro which I am very pleased with. Macro looks very good.
I have only used the auto so far, but pics are very nice and clear.
Brian
<snip>

Brian - interested in what you say above.

I acquired a Z1 last week (birthday pressie). I'm a newbie when it comes to digital and autofocus stuff. I had wanted something to play around with before deciding whether I should spend a significant sum and trade in my trusty Canon T90 and assorted lenses for a digital set-up. The Z1 came highly recommended by the local Jessops (and in recent literature) which influenced my partner's purchasing decision.

I've been doing a bit of playing the last 2 days but have been disappointed with anything other than some landscape stuff. I have had particular difficulty with the autofocus in macro mode and also when switching into digital zoom .... I'm not sure if it is my technique or the camera, but the focus at times seems to be well off. Interested if you have any views ? I guess I need to carry on playing before I head back to Jessops to complain !!

I am, however, very impressed with the flash .... really decent red eye compensation for portraits ... and the menu system does seem easy to navigate around (although I haven't investigated anything other than the basics).

I agree with your comment about the viewfinder - I found it very grainy to start off but I'm gradually getting use to it.

The big plus, however, as a long term film user is the instant gratification of being able to upload and view my results straight away - that I LOVE !!!

Cheers .......... Annie

Annie

Stay with it. You will love it in time. I have some fantastic photos. The key is to get a big SD card - 256 MB and take lots and lots of snaps. Then look at them on your PC. I love getting back home after a session out photo-ing to see what I have got. One or two may be good, the rest you discard. Just done my Xmas cards with photos from the Z1.
Brian

I believe the new Panasonic 4MP 12X camera has 49mm filter threads. Unfortunately it uses a propietary battery. It is also very large.

rka said:
I believe the new Panasonic 4MP 12X camera has 49mm filter threads. Unfortunately it uses a propietary battery. It is also very large.

Actually I think it's a 72 mm thread on the new FZ10. Several people in the USA are successfully using it with the Tcon17 / B300 using a 72-55 mm step-down ring.

Z1

I bought the Z1 a week before Christmas and am also disappointed with focus. I can't seem to get a clear indoor shot. Most of the outdoor photos seem pretty well focused. I've tried Auto mode, and many setting in manual, and when the pictures are looked at 100% they are either blurry or grainy, much worse than my previous UZI (that died). It does appear to have settings for almost anything you'd want. I don't think the indoor problem is a shakey hand, since outdoor is OK. Weather has been lousy, so haven't really done any good bird or animal tests. I've seen a lot of on-line shots that look VERY sharp, so I must be doing something wrong, or I have a lemon.

It does not appear to have any threads, so I have no clue how their adapter attaches. I would like to be able to attach a B300. If anyone has threaded something to a Z1, what thread is it (and where is it?)

Brian? Annie? You both seem to have very different opinions, mine leans towards Annie. Any better results? Suggestions for indoor shots Brian? Thank you, and happy holidays!

TConnors said:
I bought the Z1 a week before Christmas and am also disappointed with focus. I can't seem to get a clear indoor shot. Most of the outdoor photos seem pretty well focused. I've tried Auto mode, and many setting in manual, and when the pictures are looked at 100% they are either blurry or grainy, much worse than my previous UZI (that died). It does appear to have settings for almost anything you'd want. I don't think the indoor problem is a shakey hand, since outdoor is OK. Weather has been lousy, so haven't really done any good bird or animal tests. I've seen a lot of on-line shots that look VERY sharp, so I must be doing something wrong, or I have a lemon.

Well I've been playing around a little more over the last week ... though non too seriously as Christmas and entertaining the family has rather gotten in the way and like Tom have been suffering from lousy weather !!

However, when I have had the chance I am still finding problems with the autofocus particularly when using the digital zoom - it appears to permanently focus in the foreground about 6 inches infront of the intended subject and the results are either blury or grainy (or both !!). Like Tom I've tried various of the auto settings as well as manual but am consistently getting the same results.

Interestingly, have had better luck indoors with some nice shots of the family (I really do like the inbuilt flash !!). Also, now I've got to grips with it, am finding the macro OK (both indoors and outdoors) - although again the light has not been brilliant to play around too much.

When I manage to prize the computer away from the kids (both old and young !!) I intend to sit and plough my way through the manual and see if I am missing something obvious. I still feel it may be something to do with my technique (never having used autofocus before) ... so I feel I should try and play around a little more before heading back to Jessops. I have also seen results on line that are rather impressive so am coming down to it either being me or this particular camera.

I've got another week off work - so weather permitting (I'm a fair weather photographer), I'll head off to the woods in th enext 7 days and see what I can do to improve!!!

Keep me posted on how you are getting on Tom.

AnnieW

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back