• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FG to Amphibians & Reptiles of Britain & Europe (1 Viewer)

beside the changes in taxonomy (but already out of date at time of print :) ), it is a really good one (know the authors) and have done some remarks on the draft

I've 'pre-ordered' it too in the sense that it's been promised as a gift for favours done. Interesting to read Mario's comment. I was hoping by now that we'd be able to see some plates etc via the 'Look Inside' function on Amazon

This has been on my radar and to get list for some time, looking forward to getting it. Set to become the 'standard' guide they say?

Andy

I bought the PDF version for my tablet. What a shocking, awful experience that was.
Buying it was easy.
Then I had to register with Adobe, install a software package on my partner's PC. (My PC is Linux, and wouldn't run the software).
After fathoming how to register this PC with Adobe, I was able to download the book. This took about 40 minutes.

Add another 30 minutes to copy the file (287mb) onto my tablet, and install the app needed to run this PDF, register this app with Adobe, and you are nearly there.

So it opens in this app (aldiko), and you can read the book if you are prepared to scroll one page at a time, and with a small delay between page turns.

The file won't open with android Adobe acrobat.

I would advise steering clear of the epdf version, on android unless you can strip out the drm which would enable it to be read via Adobe acrobat with a presumably slicker experience!

I bought the PDF version for my tablet. What a shocking, awful experience that was.
Buying it was easy.
Then I had to register with Adobe, install a software package on my partner's PC. (My PC is Linux, and wouldn't run the software).
After fathoming how to register this PC with Adobe, I was able to download the book. This took about 40 minutes.

Add another 30 minutes to copy the file (287mb) onto my tablet, and install the app needed to run this PDF, register this app with Adobe, and you are nearly there.

So it opens in this app (aldiko), and you can read the book if you are prepared to scroll one page at a time, and with a small delay between page turns.

The file won't open with android Adobe acrobat.

I would advise steering clear of the epdf version, on android unless you can strip out the drm which would enable it to be read via Adobe acrobat with a presumably slicker experience!

Nothing compares to the feel and smell of a real, new book, the only thing better is a real, old book!

Andy

An update.. whilst making a backup, the drm appears to have fallen off my eBook. It now scrolls fairly slick using Adobe on my tablet.
One nice bonus presumably of the book being of huge file size is that you can really zoom in on those illustrations, and photos and wow, are they detailed.

I'm still waiting for my copy - a gift for favours done. I hoped to at least see a copy in my local Waterstone's but discovered they've no intention of stocking copies (although they will get one to order). No wonder folks increasingly buy stuff online when the nation's biggest bookseller, which seems to have no problem stocking an awful lot of very obscure books, more cookery books than anyone could use in a lifetime and a good deal of nonsense, increasingly fails to stock good, relatively high profile wildlife guides. This isn't the first time this has happened at my local branch; perhaps we wildlife enthusiasts tend to buy online more than most ...

I'm still waiting for my copy - a gift for favours done. I hoped to at least see a copy in my local Waterstone's but discovered they've no intention of stocking copies (although they will get one to order). No wonder folks increasingly buy stuff online when the nation's biggest bookseller, which seems to have no problem stocking an awful lot of very obscure books, more cookery books than anyone could use in a lifetime and a good deal of nonsense, increasingly fails to stock good, relatively high profile wildlife guides. This isn't the first time this has happened at my local branch; perhaps we wildlife enthusiasts tend to buy online more than most ...

Evening John,

I tend to go into Waterstones in hope these days. Perhaps instead of having two branches in Canterbury and Maidstone, they could expand their nature section.

Regards

Evening John,

I tend to go into Waterstones in hope these days. Perhaps instead of having two branches in Canterbury and Maidstone, they could expand their nature section.

Regards

The smaller of the two branches in Canterbury used to be much better on wildlife titles as until he retired the manager was a birdwatcher. As it happens he's the bloke who owes me the book! Pity we no longer have any small independent booksellers in the city - they were much better!

I bought my copy a couple of weeks ago through the Natural History Book Society - really great service, special price, quick delivery, in perfect condition all the way to Hungary. I've used them several times and really recommend them. they often have very good sales.
And I find it a superb addition to my NH bookshelves (agree with the people who said about having real books in the hand.... my library is over 7000 books, of which about 1000 are on Natural history topics...)
Best
David

Used this field guide in anger this morning. Identified a terrestrial Palmate Newt, but have to say, this book wasn't particularly helpful. Other online resources went into much more detail for this phase of their lifecycle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back