• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sierra Nevada Ocellated Lizard - Timon (lepidus) nevadensis (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Does anyone know what the distribution of the Sierra Nevada or Grey Ocellated Lizard Timon (lepidus) nevadensis might be? The name suggests it's unique to the Sierra Nevada but I gather it's also found in Almeria and Murcia. I understand that most authorities regard it as a well marked subspecies but it will be interesting what the new reptile FG makes of it ...

nevadensis is a full species!
distribution: see map out of Andreia Miraldo's thesis (2009): Phylogeography and population dynamics of secondary contact zones of Lacerta lepida in the
Iberian Peninsula.

there are more maps, but thats the one I found fastest ;)

Mario

Attachments

• nevad.jpg
    nevad.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 59
Many thanks for the map Mario. I assume that the pale blue is the range of nevadensis and that the pink represents a hybrid zone. I'd imagine too that it is the only lineage that deserves full species rank. Thank you too for the reference. I don't seem to be able to find a link to the paper you kndly directed me towards (or any other information online) that's freely available. However the map is the critical thing for which I am grateful (any others that you can post would be interesting but this one does the job),

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back