• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (4 Viewers)

Well, if you thinking of trapping in the garden, then you need to think about your neighbours.

If your garden is overlooked by other houses, then your suggested type of trap (Actinic) is your only option as its not a very bright light. But, if you've got plenty of privacy, and you can afford it, then a top of the range Robinson MV trap is a must. The Alana option (£430) seems very expensive to me, and I got mine 8 months ago from www.angleps.com for £295, and I am very happy with it. But, what I would say, is that as a begginer, its probably a good idea to get a low-powered trap first, because you may well end up being overwhelmed by hundreds of moths in a high-powered trap. I regularly got c50 moths in my 25w Actinic, and that was a manageable amount.

If your looking for a field guide, then an absolute must is Townsend and Waring: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide...9980/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338708421&sr=8-2

Sean,

Thanks. Very comprehensive answer. I've got that Field Guide (and a number of others) - started off with the Bernard Skinner book years ago. I'll look at www.angleps.com in a minute. I should be able to get VAT free so might order here and end up trapping in the desert; we've got Striped Hawkmoth.

Thanks again.

Rich

Last edited:
Still no new passage waders over the weekend despite some passage of Sanderling, Knot etc across the UK. This morning 5 LRP, Lapwing, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, 3 Blackcap, 3 Whitethroat, 2 Chiffchaff, 5 Reed Warbler, Reed Bunting, 2 + Skylark, 2 Common Terns etc. The Terns are still occupying their nest in the workings as are the Black Headed Gulls so fingers crossed for some fledglings soon.

John.

Nothing new to report this morning, although there were a pair of Teal on the floods which seems unusual. Perhaps statto Kev can confirm any previous records from June??

John.

Nothing new to report this morning, although there were a pair of Teal on the floods which seems unusual. Perhaps statto Kev can confirm any previous records from June??

John.
Prehaps a failed breeding pair. Seems to be a very poor breeding season this year for alot of species.

There have never been any reports in either June or July.
The last report this year was on the 6th April. The latest ever spring sighting was on the 4th May 2011 and the earliest autumn return was on the 6th August 2009.
Most autumn returns are at the last week of August into September.

Kevin

Not a lot to report to day with Kev no chicks from Tern or B H Gull 2 Little Greab and 5 Tufted Duck.
Good Tices day out to Pennington Marsh Black-winged Stilt, Little Tern and many more and another Marsh Warbler at Ibsley above Ringwood with Dave Sean and Matt.

Two Tern chicks seen this morning, but they look so vulnerable now on their little island with the rain having raised the water level in the workings this week. Otherwise not much else to report other than at least 1 Lesser Whitethroat seen/heard in addition to the other 5 regular Warbler species.

John.

Two Tern chicks seen this morning, but they look so vulnerable now on their little island with the rain having raised the water level in the workings this week.

John.

Thats great news, when it looked like a couple of months that we would have no breeding Terns this year. The chicks are at most 3 days old as the adults were still sitting on eggs on Wednesday. Not sure how old they have to be but they can swim when still chicks.
If the weather forecast is correct then Monday will be a big test for them, with heavy rain forecast al day and night! But for the last 10 days they have predicted this and it changes everyday, so may not happen.

Kevin

The Tern chicks were snugly underneath one of the parents this morning, another well known breeder also has 4 chicks, the BHG's are still sitting at the moment.

John.

Curlew flew out of workings at 10am, mid day Hobby and Pergrine .
Sean will be doing a Moth Trapping session at Tices on Sat 4th Aug from 9pm all welcome.
Rich.

GOOD NEWS after the rain on Monday 11th.

The two Common Tern chicks have survived and the second pair are still sitting on a nest. Also a third pair were seen displaying and look good to be nesting shortly on another island. On the other family just one adult seen looking after a single chick in the same area. As well as the Terns the BHG is also still sitting on a nest, should be due to hatch. soon (will work out a rough date)
After the rain the meadow looks like it is at winter levels again. This should mean unless we get a few weeks of really hot weather again it will last into July! The workings has risen by a good few inches. This means however that the Tern chick island is now one of the lowest islands in the workings being only a couple of inches above the water level. The chicks will have to move soon. I viewed the ex deep slit pond in the dark but it appears to have risen by a few feet! I could not see the Kingfisher post. More heavy showers are expected on Friday and we are sure to have more rain with events like Royal Ascot, Wimbeldon and the Olympics coming up.

Other sightings :-A drake Teal on a island in the workings, 11 Tufted Duck 9m/2f, 5 Coot and a pair of Canada Geese with 6 goslings ( not sure if they are from recent nest on the islands?)

The adult Tern was hanging on for dear life to keep on the island and the chicks today as it was absolutely blowing a gale! I wasn't able to locate any other chicks, but the weather was making it difficult to keep the scope steady, plus I'm not sure where the other nests you're talking about are... A pair of BHGs were fiercely mobbing a Kestrel though. At least four adult Common Terns, including the one on the nest, and also a few more gulls; 2 Herring, 10+ LBB, c.10 BH. 1 Garden Warbler, 1 Buzzard.

Matt.

The 2 Tern chicks are still ok, the family having re-located to another island. Another pair seen in the workings, BHG's still on nest, but only 1 chick with an adult of the other family seen.
Next episode of the Tices Springwatch tomorrow!

John.

The 2 Tern chicks are still ok, the family having re-located to another island. Another pair seen in the workings, BHG's still on nest, but only 1 chick with an adult of the other family seen.
Next episode of the Tices Springwatch tomorrow!

John.

John,
That's good news about the Tern chicks. I was worried when watching them on Friday evening when at first the only chick I could see being fed was on the slowly disappearing island, so thought we had lost one.The brooding parent kept flying to the islands to the east and calling, as if trying to call the chick over to them. Then I spotted the second chick on the large island but it preferred to be on the smaller island nearly adjoining. During the rain showers the parent was split between the two but as I left was protecting the chick more on the new island, but still calling to the other. I watched the other chick for as long as I could before going to THursley Common just hoping it would swim across. At this time the wind was really stong blowing north , so away from the islands. So glad it made it across in the next 12 hours. With both chicks together it is now easier for them to get a share of the food. Not sure if it was an illusion but yesterday one chick looked bigger than the other?

It's always better then TV Springwatch!

Kevin

Without an exact day when the 2nd pair of Terns and the BHG's started sitting I estimate they should hatch around next weekend and the 28th.

Kevin

The 2 Tern chicks are still ok although the adults feeding visits seem to be sporadic & sometimes fruitless. Their choice of new island is looking dodgy as the water level continues to rise, as is the BHG island. Fox seen in the workings this morning, although not too many Magpies or Jackdaws hanging around. Fingers crossed for our breeders as more heavy rain forecast tonight!

J

Redshank in the workings 1pm this afternoon the 2 tern chicks are growing and it looks like we could have another pair trying making 3 pair.Peregrine over 3 sets of BH Gull nesting with 60+ on shingle 5 Can Goose goslings + 50 in the workings .
rich

I popped down this evening to have a look at the Tern chicks. Entering from the quarry end of the path I had a quick scan accross the workings before heading further down the path. As I approached the viewing point for the Tern nest I saw a small bird flying from the fence down to the path and back. I got it in the scope and was surprised to see what looked like a female or immature Black Redstart. I phoned Rich, but unfortunately the bird was flushed by dog walkers just as he arrived at the other end of the path. It flew northeast over the trees. A short while later a small, darkish bird flew back down towards the reedbed, and then up and over the reeds into the workings. Can't be 100% certain it was the same bird though.

Matt.

Attachments

• Black redstart tices 2.jpg
    Black redstart tices 2.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 439
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back