• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

With Bob Warden who joined me this morning on the mound. Little Stint far east bank with 4 Snipe and Lapwing 2 Green and 1 Common Sandpiper 1 Dunlin 2 Egp Goose came in to join our 4. 1 Yellow Leg Gull with LBB Gulls.Gald that campers enjoyed there night out all be it for the rain. Still a good count at the end i understand. Still waiting to hear when S S Eletric clear the mess they have made. Rich.

12 Snipe present and out in the open at 1700hrs but no sign of the Little Stint. Also one of each of Common and Green Sandpiper. No Canada Geese which was a relief. Steve Chastell, chairman of SBC, was down visiting and appeared to be pleased with the site.

Last edited:
The juv Little Stint was still present this morning & showing well on the islands in the centre of the workings. Also 10+ Snipe, Dunlin, Common Sandpiper, & good no's of Teal, Shoveler, Gadwall, & Lapwing.

John.

Little Stint still around on the east of workings ie main lake at 17 50. Best veiwed from middle cut where hide should be. Swallow and House Martin passing through. Snipe numbers building as are Lapwing. Diversion of stream continues but still awaiting SSE to move cables so they can complete. Also waiting for SSE to clear there mess . Rich.

Here is my species list for 28/29 Sept 2013. Thanks to all those that helped produce another excellent weekend tally of 67 species altogether.
Little Grebe
Great crested Grebe
Great Comorant
Grey Heron
Little Egret
Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Egyptian Goose
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Common Teal
Tufted Duck
Gadwall
Common Pochard
Eurasian Wigeon
Eurasian Sparrowhawk
Common Buzzard
Common Kestrel
Eurasian Hobby
Peregrine Falcon
Common Pheasant
Common Coot
Common Moorhen
Northern Lapwing
Common Sandpiper
Green Sandpiper
Common Snipe
Dunlin
Little Stint
Black headed Gull
Herring Gull
Common Gull
Yellow legged Gull
Lesser Black backed Gull
Stock Dove
Common Wood Pigeon
Eurasian Collared Dove
Great spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Collared Sand Martin
Northern House Martin
European Swallow
Skylark
Meadow Pipit
Pied Wagtail
British Wren
Dunnock
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush
Blackbird
European Robin
Common Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Great Tit
Common Blue Tit
Long tailed Tit
Eurasian Jay
Common Magpie
Eurasian Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Rook
Common Starling
House Sparrow
Common Linnet
European Goldfinch
European Greenfinch
Reed Bunting

54 species over three of four weekend visits. Wildfowl building up slowly but surely with a total of 15 Wigeon on Sunday afternoon. Yellow Wagtail over on Sunday along with a lone Redwing flushed from the hedgerow as I walked down from Pea Bridge. Green and Common Sandpipers were present on both days. A Wheatear was present on Saturday on posts next to Perv Pool. Still appears to be a good passage of both Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler and there was a lone Blackcap calling in the shrub. The workings are looking good for Waders but suspect we are probably a little too late for anything significant.

Last edited:
Pretty quiet this morning, 2 Green Sandpipers & 3 Snipe present along with 12+ Lapwing, 20+ Teal, & 10+ Shoveler. Gull no's are also starting to increase so possibly something interesting will turn up...

John.

Peregrine taking a liking to Kev s bunds third day it s been there after a lunch on lapwing . 2 Green Sand Lapwing and Snipe numbers building .

Don't forget, I'm leading a walk for the Guildford RSPB (but all are welcome) round Tice's on Saturday. Meet at 9:30 in Aldershot Park (we'll be at the mound c10:30).

Don't forget, I'm leading a walk for the Guildford RSPB (but all are welcome) round Tice's on Saturday. Meet at 9:30 in Aldershot Park (we'll be at the mound c10:30).

Will meet you on the mound. Path from Tongham GP is still blocked off. Individuals will have to climb over the gate to get into Tice's as it is locked and the path still closed.

Just did my recee. I think I can make a figure of 8 route work, even it means going along the 'closed' paths. No workers around tomorrow presumably (as there wasn't this afternoon).

Highlight was a female Peregrine, eating a Starling it had just caught, on the islands. Also at least 2 Yellow-legged Gull in with 88 LBB Gulls.

Also 70 Lapwing, 24 Shoveler, 28 Wigeon, 8 Pochard, 12 Gadwall, 4 Teal, at least 4 Chiffchaff, and 8 Fieldfare. Also a pre-roost gathering of c50 House Sparrow along stream.

Anyone know about Graham King's report of a Scaup from today?

Only heard via Rich H. Female as far as I am aware. It was too late for me to get down and see it yesterday.

UPDATE

Still present this morning - seen by Rich H. Might try and pop down this evening.

Last edited:
Dear all . Had a good meeting yesterday with Hansons Andy Duncan Dave Norminton , Steve Bailey BVCP and Simon Elson Surrey CC who i feel is a great asset to the Tices project.
Good news is we now through the BVCP can start to attack self seeded willow. Will be putting together work party program with Tony Anderson BVCP. Want to show them what the tices crew can achieve.
Dave Norminton will chase SSE to clear their mess as all have asked for. We hope before next spring!
Planning permission needed for hide .So how about willow screen ? from our cutings.
Bird notes of today Scaup still am Peregrine on islands putting every thing up .

Can I request that if/when you put in some screens, you provide at least one hole right down near the floor? Not because I'm unusually short, but because photos look better when you're on the bird's eye level. And unless the site gets a sudden influx of Cranes, Emus or Ostriches, that isn't five feet up...

Or how about a floating hide-boat?

Planning permission for a Hide? FFS. Would suggest any screens erected will quickly be set on fire. Guess we'll have to continue to watch from the mound. Tice's is not conducive to photography anyway so would suggest we don't put anything up to avoid vandalism and continue to use our panoramic viewpoint.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back