• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew sp. at Minsmere (4 Viewers)

I see birdguides have just put this out as "possibly of the race orientalis" - anyone know anything about this race.... back to the books fo rme.

yes, it's the eastern race of curlew, which i though was more of a problem when faced with a Far Eastern Curlew (due to overlap of measurements etc) but perhaps not?

From what I can see... orientalis may be being suggested as the wing markings would fit with this, however it also seems to suggest that this race tends to be larger than arquata.

My only experience with orientalis was in Goa, south India. They were largish birds with absolutely enormous bills. Rather distant though so I didn't make notes on plumage detail

Sean

Still present 4.15 p.m. RBA now describe it as "curlew sp (some observers believe it shows characteristics of Slender-billed Curlew)". Not sure whether the dropping of any mention of "Eurasian" has any significance. Not inclined to read too much into it myself.

I would agree that curlew bills can vary greatly, and have seen ones with bills shorter than the bird at Minsmere. I have also seen curlews that appear unusually pale and stand out in a flock. I have however never seen one as small or slightly built as the Minsmere bird. This coupled with the wing and rump markings make it hard for me to see this as just a 'funny' curlew. To see an individual that differs from the norm in so many ways seems very unlikely to me (though still probably more likely than sbc!)

Tim Allwood said:
Well Postie, the rarity level and id problems may go hand in hand but many people have seen SBC in Morocco 15 odd years ago - these two birds in question are far from straight forward to id as SBC unlike the Moroccan birds
How much weight do you give to 15-year-old observations? Personally, every time I see a rare wader it feels like I'm seeing it for the first time, even if I've seen several before. But then, I am going senile... I think... (can't remember, really) ;)

Hi Jason
they were very well-observed and above all very well photgraphed.

I have had trouble in past doing orientalis from Far Eastern at a distance - they are generally large but can be marked much like SBC though....and a small one....well...you could see it happening.

there is also the sushkini form of Curlew that is poorly known from the Kazakh area, possibly near SBC potential range?

So no evidence that its Orientalis?
Just got back from the bird - distinctly under-whelmed - although fairly distant views there appeared to be few supporting features for slender-billed curlew as oppossed to runty curlew . Also no differences in posture or behaviour compared to the curlew it was associating with giving it a very similar jizz. The one possible difference in shape was it consistently held its tail drooped almost at right angles to the ground. Has anyone noticed this posture difference and has it been recorded in genuine slender-billed's?

Radio five has just said "A flock of 20 twitchers have visited Minsmere to see what is the believed to be the worlds rarest bird". How has it become national news?

Andrew said:
:eek!: The world's rarest bird comes to the UK and only twenty turns up!

Can't help thinking this story is going exactly the same way as last time. I'm amazed more people haven't gone for insurance purposes. I don't think many people have said it is definitely a runt Curlew/Oriental/Slender-billed/whatever. Does anybody know of anybody who has seen the bird and can categorically rule either species out on specific features?

The current view at Minsmere today is that this bird is a Slender-billed Curlew. That has come from the world's leading expert on them who has travelled from Belgium to see it. Of course there are plenty of white hot birders that are just as convinced that it isn't one - some that have seen it and others that have only seen piccies.

To put it quite simply

GO THERE NOW...

Last edited:
Have just heard the same thing - have a feeling that Minsere could be kinda busy this weekend - especially if one of the info/pager services puts it out as a confirmed ID....

The term "He who hesitates...." comes to mind! Twitcher or not, go and see one of the rarest birds in the world, especially as it's on your own doorstep.
After you're all happy with it, get a bick stick and hunt it in the direction of Ireland...please!!! ;)

Best of luck to anyone who goes and nice to see that SBC's have (apparently) successfully bred somewhere this year!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back