• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cheap android tablets (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi

Has anyone tried one of the cheap Android tablets? It's not for me - I have a Nexus - but I was thinking of buying my wife a Kindle, but I'm now wondering if I should get her a tablet instead: it's about the same price and she can use it for ebooks and also occasionally for other things.

Also I'm the school I have to make a decision about tablets for the school I work at. 15 £60 tablets is, relatively speaking, small money. 15 Nexuses or iPads is a different matter.

The WiFi range on mine is rubbish, can barely reach from one room to another, also WiFi is very slow when it can pick up a signal. My IPad on the other hand is lightning quick. The screen definition is pretty good though when watching films. Mine will connect to BBC I player, some people have reported problems getting Iplayer.
Jackie

I bought a Kindle Fire and I must admit I'm delighted with it !
Sound reproduction is very impressive and wifi connection seems to offer a decent range where it is meant to score over other androids. Picture quality is excellent too.
It's less money than an Ipad but doesn't have as many apps available I'm told.
I have been able to convert music to mp3 on my laptop and transfer via the USB connector, likewise photographs. Presumably you can films too but you can't load them directly from Amazon's Lovefilm, you have to watch via internet so no good for travel.
I also managed to download Youtube which you are not meant to be able to do but I found it easy.
Originally I had bought a netbook with the idea that I could use it as a portable storage device for photo's whilst on holiday at the same time as having internet etc but it didn't live up to expectations on any front. Very slow so I took it back and got the Kindle instead.
The Kindle isn't a storage device and some might prefer something that offers more but it does virtually everything I want . Shame it doesn't have a rear camera for taking snaps but other wise I can't fault it.

I bought a Kindle Fire and I must admit I'm delighted with it !
Sound reproduction is very impressive and wifi connection seems to offer a decent range where it is meant to score over other androids. Picture quality is excellent too.
It's less money than an Ipad but doesn't have as many apps available I'm told.
I have been able to convert music to mp3 on my laptop and transfer via the USB connector, likewise photographs. Presumably you can films too but you can't load them directly from Amazon's Lovefilm, you have to watch via internet so no good for travel.
I also managed to download Youtube which you are not meant to be able to do but I found it easy.
Originally I had bought a netbook with the idea that I could use it as a portable storage device for photo's whilst on holiday at the same time as having internet etc but it didn't live up to expectations on any front. Very slow so I took it back and got the Kindle instead.
The Kindle isn't a storage device and some might prefer something that offers more but it does virtually everything I want . Shame it doesn't have a rear camera for taking snaps but other wise I can't fault it.

Seconded, but shame about the camera (although no problem for me) and lack of suitable birding apps. Otherwise I'm (sadly to say) addicted to my KFD. Good for the missus but maybe not suitable for a bulk buy for school kids; then again my eldest stepson's school shelled out for a crate-load of iPads so the little darlings didn't dip out 21st century tech.!!
Good luck with your choice.
Russ

Seconded, but shame about the camera (although no problem for me) and lack of suitable birding apps. Otherwise I'm (sadly to say) addicted to my KFD. Good for the missus but maybe not suitable for a bulk buy for school kids; then again my eldest stepson's school shelled out for a crate-load of iPads so the little darlings didn't dip out 21st century tech.!!
Good luck with your choice.
Russ

Must admit I have been thinking along the lines that the sound reproduction is so good that I might try downloading some bird calls, just load them via my laptop again.

What do you call cheap? I got the wife a Samsung note, the 10 inch one. A lot cheaper then the nexus (especially with the cash back now on over here), but still not very cheap. Wife loves it though, as do the kids.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back