• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Once you have Alpha you can never Backa? (3 Viewers)

Negative.....as has been mentioned many times, there are at least 5 pair of binos I've used, all $1000 or less, that will show you everything, anything, etc that SV will. I test them against my SLC HD several times each year and only further verifies my findings. If you're not looking at them side by side you won't even know what you're supposedly missing. The people who have $2300 hanging around their necks are in denial.

It could be your not as critical as some people. It seems many people think there is a difference including me. Your lucky if you don't see any differences in a 1K versus a 2K binocular. You just saved yourself 1K. I see a difference and I remember the view and to me most 1K roof prism binoculars don't measure up to the top roof alphas.

[email protected];2167721 ... I disagree with that statement. ..[/QUOTE said:
I disagree with your disagreement ;). There is the problem with the post in a nutshell. The question has no right or wrong answer. I might as well ask why in the world would anybody want to spend $2k+ on a binocular when the upper end of the mid priced is so good. There would be lots of answers, all right and all wrong.

I'm waiting for Holger Merlitz to get his book ready. His chapter on human psychology and optics choice fits right in here.

But sorry Dennis, memory of what you think you remember about one of your many past optical flings when you are dancing with your new love just does not cut it. You have danced with them all, all the way up the lineup and have discarded them all in the process. It has been said "you can never go home again", so I wonder what happens when the shine wears off the SV, or is it still the big Zeiss, I forget. As of now, there is nothing left in the way of new loves. By the way I don't mean to take a jab at you here, because you always have something useful in the steps in your journey and I do enjoy reading them.

Dennis,

I have absolutely no problem going from my Swaro 7x42 SLC to Zen-Ray 7x36 ED2 or even Pentax 8x32 DCF-WP and back again. With some of my other bins, little optical or operational quirks are more noticeable when going from those above (e.g. Minox BD 6.5x32 IF, Leupold Gold Ring 9x35 IF porros, etc.).

I think Dennis' thread is a "cry for help". Since he cited the EII and SE porros as exceptions, he's not beyond redemption.

He wants someone to tell him that its okay if he doesn't keep chasing the "latest and greatest" uber bins in a futile effort to seek heaven on earth.

He needs to enroll in a 12-step AA program (Alphaholics Anonymous). They have chapters in most major cities in his state - Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins.

As part of his recovery, I recommend that he sell his SV EL and put the money toward his children's college funds or student loan payments or season family tickets to the Colorado Rockies games.

To help aid in his recovery I will offer him a special AA member discount price on my 8x32 SE of only $450 + shipping.

But I must receive an email from his AA sponsor to confirm his enrollment.

If you're reading this Dennis, please recite this prayer:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

The Right Rev. Dr. Billy Sol Hargus

I think Dennis' thread is a "cry for help". Since he cited the EII and SE porros as exceptions, he's not beyond redemption.

He wants someone to tell him that its okay if he doesn't keep chasing the "latest and greatest" uber bins in a futile effort to seek heaven on earth.

He needs to enroll in a 12-step AA program (Alphaholics Anonymous). They have chapters in most major cities in his state - Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins.

As part of his recovery, I recommend that he sell his SV EL and put the money toward his children's college funds or student loan payments or season family tickets to the Colorado Rockies games.

To help aid in his recovery I will offer him a special AA member discount price on my 8x32 SE of only $450 + shipping.

But I must receive an email from his AA sponsor to confirm his enrollment.

If you're reading this Dennis, please recite this prayer:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

The Right Rev. Dr. Billy Sol Hargus

Your funny Brock! Do you write a humor column for the newspaper? Didn't you sell those SE's yet? I think everybodies saving up for SV's. They are selling like hotcakes over on E-bay. I will tell you what out of the goodness of my heart I will give you $350.00 shipped for those antiques and then you can get yourself some SV's for only $2K more. I bet once you have SV's you won't criticize them so much.You will become an SV devotee like me and talk down every other binocular. It is almost like a cult.

Last edited:
I like the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN. Excellent all around binocular if you find one ..... for about $600.00 and that is a bargain. Built like a tank and REALLY compact! Sweet.

I agree, these Trinovids are good. I was referring to their predecessors which, among other things, were not waterproof and did not have coated prisms.

I will tell you what out of the goodness of my heart I will give you $350.00 shipped for those antiques and then you can get yourself some SV's for only $2K more. I bet once you have SV's you won't criticize them so much.You will become an SV devotee like me and talk down every other binocular. It is almost like a cult.

The condescension and self-congratulation is getting tiresome, Dennis. I'm glad you like your SVs (or like how you feel about them), but whatever will you do when you tire of them or sense a shift in the optical ideals of this forum? I'm reminded of some students who, once they realize there is a difference between Shakespeare and other writers, wonder why they should bother to read anyone else.

Nevertheless, thanks for the entertainment.

David

I think everybodies saving up for SV's. They are selling like hotcakes over on E-bay.

I was curious as to whether or not this was true so I did a little jaunt over to Ebay to see how many folks can afford $2000+ binoculars. The link below is for completed listings for the Swarovski Swarovision binoculars over the last two weeks. I count 18 auctions listed. Out of those 18 listings I count 8 that sold. 7 of those 8 were the 10x42 version. I am curious who nabbed the $800 ones that the seller ended early because the item was "no longer available".

;-)

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_kw=swarovski&_kw=swarovision&_dmpt=Binocular

If 7 binoculars in two weeks is selling like hotcakes then the Bushnell Legend Ultra HDs are selling like hotcakes too! ;)

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...oculars&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Last edited:
I was curious as to whether or not this was true so I did a little jaunt over to Ebay to see how many folks can afford $2000+ binoculars. The link below is for completed listings for the Swarovski Swarovision binoculars over the last two weeks. I count 18 auctions listed. Out of those 18 listings I count 8 that sold. 7 of those 8 were the 10x42 version. I am curious who nabbed the $800 ones that the seller ended early because the item was "no longer available".

;-)

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_kw=swarovski&_kw=swarovision&_dmpt=Binocular

If 7 binoculars in two weeks is selling like hotcakes then the Bushnell Legend Ultra HDs are selling like hotcakes too! ;)

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...oculars&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

You would have to sell 10 Bushnell Legends for every Swarovision to be comparable. The Swarovision's cost 10X as much! The seller probably sold those Swarovisions to a friend or a neighbor locally and then ended the auction because he didn't have the binoculars anymore. He avoided paying E-bay fees which are 5% of the sale. People do that all the time. I assure you nobody got the Swarovision's for $800.00 unless it was a VERY good friend! What surprises me is how well the price is holding up on the Swarovision's even on E-bay especially on the 8.5x. That's alot of $2K binoculars being sold for E-bay. The Zeiss FL's are not selling nearly as well because they are not the latest and greatest anymore.

Frank
I posted those stats over on the AB/SP thread, and also pointed out that for every buyer of a hotcake, there was a seller of a hot potato. Wonder why so many people are dumping them?

The one for $800 was ended early because it was not a swarovision, and the seller relisted it as a swarobright.

I also suspect that there will be some new alpha binos introduced by years end that will sell for well less than $1000. Thats what I'm going to keep some cash aside for.

Tom

Dennis
Your buddy "bloatedfuzzball" listed a pair of new 8.5 SV's today for $1725

"bloatedfuzzball" buys and sells more binoculars. I have bought a couple pair from him and they are always like new! You always get the best price from him also and he ships super fast. I tell you what if you want some Swarovision's jump on that quick because they will be just like new and it will be the best price you will ever find. I bought a pair of Zeiss 8x32 FL's from him for $900.00 and they were just like new. Absolutely perfect!

;-)

That's about par for denco........a gross exaggeration.....imagine that.

I just know what you said, and you over exaggerated the facts. That itself is a fact. Don't make asinine statements and you'll be fine.

Regardless of what you say show me any other binocular over $1500.00 that are selling that well on E-bay.

There are none, because most people, those that haven't been brainwashed yet, or those that quit kidding themselves, have gotten wise to the fact that there are many less expensive, high quality binos out there that deliver the goods within a nats hair of $2000+ glass. Not one.....many. Usually the $2000+ binos have to be discounted for anyone to buy them anyway.

Ah come on guys, they're only binoculars. If all of us sat in a bar we'd probably not argue, given that by virtue of us being on BF bino-forum anyway, we have at least one common interest/obsession. It's not like binos are really important, say, like woodpeckers:eek!:...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back