• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tipping (1 Viewer)

tringbirds

Some advice needed on tipping please.
Having been able to join some bird trips to Africa and South America over the last few years the question of how much to tip keeps every participant in a constant dilemma. I know the general advice is to tip according to the service one receives , but therein lies the problem especially if one travels with an assortment of Nationalities. Americans tip as a matter of course, and to Europeans, quite generously; whilst many from Australia and New Zealand do not like it at all as it is not part of their culture to tip. Haggling over what should be appropriate for a group tip does preoccupy some time towards the end of a trip!!
Advice from the organisations varies according to the country of origin; 10-20 dollars per day is suggested per group leader and drivers. In some countries this is more than the average wage. One does not wish to insult these guys who lead and drive but are we doing any favours by over generosity. Is this rate a negotiated between tour organisers and the leaders they employ.
I do not know how much these guys receive from the tour organiser, one has to hope it is in line or above the local wage structure. Personally speaking I would the price of the trip to include a percentage for gratuities. Those of you who may have been on a cruise ship will know the question of tipping is easier with those cruise lines who include gratuities than those who do not.
I realise tipping is easier for some than others but it would be useful to get an idea of how much people tip; yes I realise it is a personal thing but I would like to get it somewhere right as one never knows, a return visit could be made and a remembered poor (or good tip, whatever that is!), tip may effect the commitment of the leader of a trip if he/she is has previously met!!
thank you in advance for your thoughts

Hello Tringbirds, there is a good discussion on tipping here http://safaritalk.net/topic/10736-on-tipping/?hl=tipping

It is a very personal thing. On my last trip, the person I travelled with didn't tip at all and hardly even carried any cash with her! The one before that, the people I travelled with we're very generous with their tips, so we each put into a kitty what we felt was appropriate. You should really just tip what you are comfortable with.

I don't think you can expect to get any advice on `how much to tip', since what will be considered appropriate will depend on the country you're in, the level at which you're getting a service (employees at luxury establishments will expect bigger tips), and what kind of service it is.

I too loathe tipping, I'm uncomfortable with it, and don't like to have to worry about what might be considered appropriate (and I don't want to insult those who may have provided a top notch service). I prefer it being included in the costs up front of any tour (but typically if there's a guide accompanying the tour you're still expected to tip them at the end). I'd rather those providing the service were paid a decent wage in the first place. Also, it makes a big difference on how much cash you have to carry, and when travelling to remote places you can't expect to get more at short notice.

The most bizarre experience I had (at least from my point of view) was a flightseeing excursion in a small plane in Alaska where it was made clear in no uncertain terms that the pilot would have to be tipped too. From a European perspective this is just weird!

Andrea

Tip 1: Never use brown polish on black shoes.

Tip 2: Never use tea bags twice.

Tip 3: Don't eat yellow snow.

Seriously though, if its the last day and you're not going to see them again just give them a stingy tip if you haven't enjoyed yourself.

Alternatively, if you want to do something different, buy gifts for them in the UK that they can't easily get - a friend bought his African guide some 7dayshop bins and a fleece and the guy was in tears when he got them.

Thanks everyone for the replies and interesting comment and the links to other sites. It appears we are all facing the same dilemma, we don't like tipping but feel compelled to do so. Just been offered a trip to vietnam and quite pricey. Need to work out how much the overall cost will be including the tip element!! I like the idea of a gift may solve alot of the problems apart from carrying it!! We will continue in the same manner and come to some agreement with the rest of the group wherever we find ourselves.
thanks everyone

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back