• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using Canon 400 f5.6 lens (1 Viewer)

tringbirds

Just bought Canon 400 5.6 lens to use with 350d. Any tips/advice using this combination when taking shots. Advice regarding camera settings would be helpful.Does anyone change the parameters settingin the camera. Shots of birds in trees with bright background causes problems sometimes. I use CS2 to produce best end result but would prefer to get the best picture possible before using photoshop, hence the purchase of the lens very recently.thanks in anticipation

Just bought Canon 400 5.6 lens to use with 350d. Any tips/advice using this combination when taking shots. Advice regarding camera settings would be helpful.Does anyone change the parameters settingin the camera. Shots of birds in trees with bright background causes problems sometimes. I use CS2 to produce best end result but would prefer to get the best picture possible before using photoshop, hence the purchase of the lens very recently.thanks in anticipation
Main thing if handholding is to get a fast shutter speed - aim for 1/1000 sec or faster (although 1/500 should be ok for sharp shots).
In all but the brightest of days I would use ISO400 as standard and switch to ISO 800 if required to get the shutter speed up.
On the 350D I used to use Partial metering (nearest to spot on this camera) and centre focus point only.
For birds with a bright background you need to use a plus EV of between +1 and + 2.
Shooting in RAW also gives you a bit of leeway on the exposure.
BTW you can shoot wide open with this lens as it is very sharp at f5.6.

SOMETHING worth doing is to take some shots of a static subject with sharp writeing on hand held and try and work out the lowest shutter speed you can hold it and get sharp shot - take sevarel shots
you will need to double or treble that speed for a bird flying .
Rob.

Main thing if handholding is to get a fast shutter speed - aim for 1/1000 sec or faster (although 1/500 should be ok for sharp shots).
In all but the brightest of days I would use ISO400 as standard and switch to ISO 800 if required to get the shutter speed up.
On the 350D I used to use Partial metering (nearest to spot on this camera) and centre focus point only.
For birds with a bright background you need to use a plus EV of between +1 and + 2.
Shooting in RAW also gives you a bit of leeway on the exposure.
BTW you can shoot wide open with this lens as it is very sharp at f5.6.

About shooting wide open and such... just to clarifiy some things in my noob brain. F/5.6 refers to the aperture hole that lets light into the camera... lower number, more open better light right? My crappy phoenix 500m f8 but in the camera (400d) its always show as F00.
If i can pull together the cash for a 400 f5.6 by late December it will truly be a christmas miracle lol. :)

Yes - smaller f number means bigger aperture, which means more light but less DOF. The number quoted with lenses is the maximum aperture for that lens - you can close it down with the camera. I guess your phoenix lens is manual or fixed aperture? The camera expects electronic control of the aperture so when it gets nothing reported from the lens, reports 00.

Yes - smaller f number means bigger aperture, which means more light but less DOF. The number quoted with lenses is the maximum aperture for that lens - you can close it down with the camera. I guess your phoenix lens is manual or fixed aperture? The camera expects electronic control of the aperture so when it gets nothing reported from the lens, reports 00.

its manual from f8: to f:32.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back