• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I took the plunge!!! (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

Well after 2 years saving yesterday I took receipt of a Canon 30D and the 100 - 400 IS. Some practice shots in todays sunshine too reproduced unaltered.

I look forward to getting some more help from everyone too! I am so excited having waited so long, and have so many questions already.

I feel naughty having spent so much money, but I am sre it is the absolute right thing!!!

Attachments

• IMGp.jpg
    IMGp.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMGrk.jpg
    IMGrk.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMGsh.jpg
    IMGsh.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 180
Nice going Marcus - and nice pratice photos too ! Plow through that buyer's remorse with more amazing photos - dont look back dude !

Congratulations on both the camera and lens Marcus! You've got 2 amazing pieces of equipment there and just look at the eye on the Pheasant if proof of unwasted money were needed!

After some time of really getting to grips with both you'll never regret the purchases and as Dave says, don't look back - only forward to great photos. You have amazing possibilities for every range with that lens, my OH's macro with his 100 - 400 are brilliant. I have the 400 prime which when it comes to macro is a pain, but it's all choices and you've made great ones with each!

All the best,

Sue.

thats a long time to have waited -wish you all the best with your new gear nice shot of the phesant i like that one.
Rob.

You will delighted with both camera and lens. Both are well-suited to wildlife photography. You can attach a teleconverter to get more range or extension tubes to get closer for butterflies and flowers etc. Looking forward to some more pics very soon.

Hi Marcus,

Glad to hear of your exciting new toys!

My advice would be to read through some of the threads here to pick-up some good tips and don't be down-hearted when things don't go as expected (as they will without a doubt).

Think what you could have done with all that gleaming new kit when the Wilson's Phal. was at Grafham!

Best wishes.

Adrian

Hi Marcus,

Glad to hear of your exciting new toys!

My advice would be to read through some of the threads here to pick-up some good tips and don't be down-hearted when things don't go as expected (as they will without a doubt).

Think what you could have done with all that gleaming new kit when the Wilson's Phal. was at Grafham!

Best wishes.

Adrian

Yes that's right. I remember even then chatting to the guys with the lenses finding out feedback, and seeing what was happening. If I had the camera that day I would have never made it to the meeting, and that pink tie wold have been for nothing!

Went for a bird cruise and came back with some pretty pleasing pics at the weekend. I am firmly bitten by the bug, and I am thinking of enrolling at night school so I can learn some more.

Any tips on how these could be better? OR what works well?

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 130
  • hg.jpg
    hg.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 127
  • cg1.jpg
    cg1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 143
Well after 2 years saving yesterday I took receipt of a Canon 30D and the 100 - 400 IS. Some practice shots in todays sunshine too reproduced unaltered.

I look forward to getting some more help from everyone too! I am so excited having waited so long, and have so many questions already.

I feel naughty having spent so much money, but I am sre it is the absolute right thing!!!

Nice one Jimmy - reminds me of the intro to a Butthole Surfers song

"Daddy, what does regret mean?
Well son, the funny thing about regret is,
It's better to regret something you have done,
Than to regret something you haven't done.
And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend,
Be sure and tell her, ................

Good luck

You've probably worked damned hard to earn that camera set-up Marcus so just enjoy it and don't feel guilty. We buy what we want and what we can afford now - but then I'm guessing we're a lot older than you!!

Sandra

You've probably worked damned hard to earn that camera set-up Marcus so just enjoy it and don't feel guilty. We buy what we want and what we can afford now - but then I'm guessing we're a lot older than you!!

Sandra

I think my missus thought I was saving for an engagement ring even though I had been 100% up front since i started. I then gave up smoking in September 06 and at £35 per week one year on I had enough money. Good swap me thinks. Of course on the day I spent the dosh the washing machine blew so I had to fork out an unexpected £300 to Mr Zanuussi!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back