• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sure-fire Willow Tit in December? (1 Viewer)

DrRich

I am driving from Edinburgh to Surrey on December 15th (ugh) and would love to stop off somewhere with a high chance of a Willow Tit. I have never seen one, and I would love to. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can stop off almost anywhere, I suppose.

Thanks a lot,

Richard

Amazing - thanks. Do you mean Fairburn Ings RSPB? All I get on Google for Fairburn Inns is somewhere near Atlanta GA...

Yes Fairburn Ings RSPB. Willow tits are regulars at one of the main feeding stations. I have seen at least one every visit so far. Just ask at the visitor centre for directions.

Thanks a lot, all. I will probably give Fairburn Ings two shots on the way up and on the way down, so that's double sure-fire! I'll let you know how I fare. The RSPB Star Species for the site doesn't seem to think them worth a mention :) I may think Willow Tits are more exciting than I should, but who travels anywhere to see a Chiffchaff....?

Hope you're succesful, but it's quite a nice place to visit anyway. Was up your way a week or two ago, visiting family. Spent an afternoon at Real Mary King Close! Not many birds tho' ;-)

Thanks all. I found one Willow Tit at Fairburn Ings Monday (I left Hants at 4am to fit some birding in before my meetings, so I deserved it!). I also saw a lifer Woodcock :) A nice twofer

Happy Birding

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back