• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine Falcon World record kill? (1 Viewer)

snoqualmieScott

Last edited:
Sorry but to me the size of the head (if indeed it is a head- I would not have seen it as such without the prompt) in proportion to the juv peregrine looks far too small to be a Tundra Swan.
Now I haven't watched the whole video so if you have film of the adult carrying in a Tundra then I'll get my humble pie knife and fork out........

Mick

for sure, I'm thinking Juvenile Snow Goose.

Wasn't thinking about dimensional scaling, seems to make sense, the small males in the clutches are about 18-20 inches long, females about 21-23 inches. I have some photos of juveniles that landed on and next to my telephoto lens while I was 15 feet away, I can use the length of the telephoto lens as a scale reference, to see how big these Peregrine Falcons are. The kill, Big, but not that big. You guys are great, lots of help, I have to keep things strait and in proper content, or context, I noted the videos as "(Not a) World record recorder kill?".

Last edited:
Sorry but to me the size of the head

Sorry but to me the size of the head (if indeed it is a head- I would not have seen it as such without the prompt) in proportion to the juv peregrine looks far too small to be a Tundra Swan.
Now I haven't watched the whole video so if you have film of the adult carrying in a Tundra then I'll get my humble pie knife and fork out........

Mick

The adult female that brought in big prey like this is now infertile, fertility recordings of eleven years, is that normal fertility? when she had three or four juveniles fresh out of the nest, in the first week, she would bring in big prey like this, wasn't there all the time, so I wasn't able to see everything she brought in every year, but there are recordings of her with a large Gull as prey, seems like one was a juvenile Raptor, thinking a juvenile Red Tail Hawk. I called her "Misty", now the newly arrived in 2015 female, I call her "Vixen" 1 year old, is smaller, about the same size as the male, I call him "Velocity".

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back