• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bear-proofing a feeder? (1 Viewer)

dwminnich

I just closed on a new home today and met one of my new neighbors. Evidently the feeder-raiders of choice in this new location (western North Carolina) are not squirrels, raccoons, or deer, but black bears! I know how to protect my feeders from the normal suspects, but does anyone have suggestions on how to bear-proof a feeder? Black bears are good climbers, so I'm not sure that hanging one will work, and any pole-based approach is subject to a couple of hundred pounds of bear just leaning on it and snapping it off (that is what happened to my new neighbors earlier this week).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No personal experience with bears after feeders but when camping out, food can be protected from black bear by placing it in a bear proof container (also bird proof of course) or by hanging it on a line between trees. If there are no trees it is true that, as you say, poles may not be strong enough to resist the weight and power of the things. And bear are pretty smart, they might in time foil any suspension system. I would look around to see what local people do, see what succeeds, and as a Hail Mary play consider getting some electric cattle fencing in to keep the animals out. I know that works with polar bears at least, and it's harmless and isn't all that expensive, just a single wire charged with lots of volts but almost no amps- although you may need multiple wires at different heights to discourage bear. It might work!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back