• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Diving Beetle? - Russia (1 Viewer)

Thanks ficedula,
Lesser is Acilius sulcatus in Brock so probably the same
A

If by Brock you mean "Insects of New Forest" only 5 species of Dytiscids featured, so of little use to name beyond Family, occasionally genus.

In UK A. sulcatus is the common one but your photo will not allow identification beyond genus, no idea what species might occur in Russia, or are you in UK now?

Thanks again Ficedula,
this was in Russia, sorry, should have been clearer and the Brock I refer to is the Britain and Ireland guide but it's the same in Chinery's Europe guide. There is a great deal of overlap with the UK in all groups here in this part of Russia

A

Last edited:
If by Brock you mean "Insects of New Forest" only 5 species of Dytiscids featured, so of little use to name beyond Family, occasionally genus.

In UK A. sulcatus is the common one but your photo will not allow identification beyond genus, no idea what species might occur in Russia, or are you in UK now?

I've now managed to get hold of 'A field guide in colour to Beetles' by Octopus Books after it was recommended by another member and it's great. I suggest that anyone with an interest in Beetles get it if you don't have it already.

The text tells me of two Acilius species in the UK but only shows sulcatus. It then refers to canaliculatus and states it's preference for 'bog water and is found in Britain, mainly in the North'.

My patch is a bog so does anyone know if it's possible so separate these two?

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back