• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto & customer service on problems (1 Viewer)

Mick50

Hi all. I have a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head that I purchased several years ago. The mechanism that holds the QR plate in place has always been sticky, but now it's giving me major problems to the point of not working at all.

I'm wondering what is the best way to go about getting it fixed? Contact Manfrotto? Contact the place of purchase (online)? Take it somewhere local if I can find a place?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Not a very complicated mechanism..I dont know what can go wrong with it ,except dirt or grit getting in there,perhaps some rust...I dont have the head with me,but tomorrow I can take mine apart and post a couple pictures of the process..It would be an easy DIY fix,i am sure

If I can fix it that would be much better

Not a very complicated mechanism..I dont know what can go wrong with it ,except dirt or grit getting in there,perhaps some rust...I dont have the head with me,but tomorrow I can take mine apart and post a couple pictures of the process..It wouldbe an easy DIY fix,i am sure

Thanks! I'm not mechanically inclined but if I can figure out how to tweak it or make an adjustment that would be great.

The gold "button" seems to stay locked up. I can push it down and then try to lock the plate with the small lever, but it does not stay locked.

There's no rust in there, and I don't use it in harsh conditions to get very dirty, but I will look for any dust/dirt.

I've been using a Manfrotto 128RC as my main tripod head for several years, and seeing your query, I've had a quick look at mine. The lock button seemed a bit stiff, so I applied one drop of machine oil to it, and another drop underneath the rotating lock plate. It's now so much freer than recently! Thanks for the prompt.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back