• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Elite ED 10x42 Review (1 Viewer)

I had a great starry night yesterday and can report on handheld views through several binoculars. I particularly studied the Pleiades and the Orion Constellation. Here in the southern hemisphere the nebulae was above and to the right of the belt, instead of down and to the left of it. The views through the Bushnell Elite open bridge 12.5x50 were most stunning as I was braced a bit. Bright, pin-point stars without false color. Very much alive and into it. The same was true for the Bushnell 10x42ED, but a bit smaller. Very bright. The Vortex Fury 6.5x32 was too dark, small and unappealing. The Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 provided views that were too small, removed and unexciting. All, of course, in my opinion. Those were all I tried and spent any time with.

I love my Elite 10*42 EDs, which I've had for about a month.

I'm in no way an expert, and haven't much to compare them with except my old knackered E German Zeiss 8*32, which were no longer a pleasure to use. Much brighter, and more vivid colours. Also compared them with a friends Bushnell Legends, and both of us agreed that the Elites were much better. He wants some, and put them on the same level as the Swaro 8.5s another of his friends has, but which I haven't seen.

I think I made a great buy, and it's nice to see that confirmed here.

Used them approaching dusk today, out with another friend, and the colours on the head of a male mallard still vivid. Looked at the pupils of my mate's eyes at the time, which appeared to be about 4 mm, so most of the light from the objective lens was hitting the retina, I suppose.

If it was still darker, I suppose a bigger exit pupil would be desirable, but I doubt that I'd be out using bins if it were much darker than today.

David B

This post has been interesting, and I am trying to find out more about the Bushnells.
The last review that I could find was by Allbinos on the 10x43, open frame model, and
they were well regarded, in the top 10.
I am wondering about this new model, and how it compares to the 10x43 Elite, as it appears they have been discontinued.

Jerry.

Jerry ..... I own the prior 10X43 Bushnell Elite and a family member owns the new Bushnell 10X42 ED Elites. I had use of the new model ED Elite for a few days and compared them to my 10X43 Elite mentioned in your post.

My impression was that there is very little optical difference in the view. The field of view, color fringing (very little), resolution, and sweet spot appeared about the same to me. The only variation I noticed between the two was in brightness. In marginal conditions, the newer ED Elite seems "slightly" brighter. You had to look for it in conditions such as shadows under a tree, etc.

Mechanically, they both seem to be of good quality. I think the strap attachments of the ED Elite are more secure and like them better than the "clip" design on my Elite 10X43. I have no idea which is the better build internally. I do wonder how Bushnell was able to drop the price so much on the new ED. Did they find cost savings in the internal construction? It does not appear that they down graded the optics.

I do like the feel and balance of my 10X43 Elite much better than the new ED. The new ED felt more front heavy.

I have considered buying the new ED, but hesitate because they are so close in their view to my 10X43 Elite. I have (for the moment) decided to wait for reviews of the yet to be released Zen-Ray Prime HD 10X42. It appears to be a totally different design (lens flatteners) and would give me more variety in the view.

The biggest complaint on both of the Elite's is their somewhat smaller field of view compared to some of the other 10X42 models. That may be a problem for someone who does a lot of panning. I primarily use a 10X for spotting particular objects that are centered in the view, so it is not an issue for me. I have no trouble locating what I want to view.

If something were to happen to my 10X43 Elite, I would buy the new ED version in an instant. With the new ED version available well below $400 in some places, it has to be one of best buys out there.

I have also had the opportunity to compare the Elites to the Swarovski 10X42 EL WB (prior non SV version). When doing a sit-down side by side comparison, I concluded the Swarovski had the better view, but it was not a night and day difference. The Swarovski had a better field of view, somewhat sharper edges, slightly better contrast and brightness, and about the same color fringing. The Swarovski, under the right conditions, appeared to have slightly more depth and a slightly better 3D effect. I think these differences would be of little significance to many in the field when hand holding and concentrating on the object being viewed. I suspect there are some sophisticated viewers that would pick up on the subtle differences and may be bothered by them. Bottom line ... all three binoculars give an excellent view.

The two Bushnell Elite binoculars I discussed are not the E2 model. As mentioned by the other posters, Bushnell has created a lot of confusion concerning the Elite line by assigning the Elite name to the E2. They made it even worse by using the same model number for the new ED model, but just adding an "ED" to the end of the number.

If you decide to buy the new ED model, be sure of what you are getting. Some of the vendors are as confused as the consumers. One vendor (Natchez Shooter Supply) has the "Elite" on sale right now with the E2 description but with a picture of the new ED model. There was no Bushnell model number specified. I called and found out it was the E2 and they said they will correct the photo (but have not as of this AM). Confirm the Bushnell model number with the vendor. The new 10X42 ED has a model number of 620142ED (Made in Japan) where as the discontinued 10X42 E2 model number is just 620142. The model number of my discontinued 10X43 open bridge Elite is 624201 (Made in Japan).

As a final comment, I also have the 8X42 (gas filled) "Bausch & Lomb" Elite as mentioned in the post by Kimballcorson. I basically agree with his impression. Although the Bausch & Lomb is a great binocular, the "Bushnell" labeled Elite models are a small notch better. I would also be tempted to get a pair of the 12.5X50's that he has, if I come across a smoking deal.

Please post a follow-up if you end up getting the new Elite ED.

Last edited:
I think you need to be careful when describing older B / L Elite's, as there is a lot of difference between models. I have had the 7 x 36, the 2nd gen. 10 x 42 [rubber but not WP] and the third gen 10 x 42 [stubby restyle, WP].

The 7 x 36 and the 2nd gen. 10 x 42 are much better than third gen. bins, IMO. Better contrast, better apparent sharpness, better overall centre-field view [just outstanding for bins from 1991]. The latter WP Elite's [advertised with PC-3 coatings] are [to my eyes] lacking in contrast and sharpness. Their only advantage seems to be edge sharpness over the older Elite's.

Taz .... I am inclined to think the new ED model. They have ED glass and appeared to be just slightly brighter to me (as I stated above in post number 23).

Last edited:
Last year my beloved 18 year old B&L Elites gave up the ghost. I was dismayed to learn they couldn't be repaired or replaced except by a Bushnell product. After raising all kinds of heck I was referred to one of the Bushnell engineers who told me that the only thing Bausch and Lomb had taken with them when they quit the bino market was their name. Bushell still had their optics. And they had been installed in the Bushnell Elite. I begrudgingly had Bushnell ship me their 8 x 42 model. I carefully compared them with my wife's B&L Elite 8x42.

I was amazed that the image was virtually identical in all light conditions at all distances. I think the depth of focus was very slightly better on the B&L, but I'm not sure. So, I'm impressed. The body on these Bushnells is much better than the B&L, in which the only real complaints were the propensity for them to get out of alignment or collimation and for the rubber armoring to peel off. I had my B&Ls into Lenexa at least 5 times to correct these problems.

So, I am OK with the Bushnells. I feel they are a worthy replacement for what I consider the Best Binocular of All Time.

........I begrudgingly had Bushnell ship me their 8 x 42 model. .........

So, I am OK with the Bushnells. I feel they are a worthy replacement for what I consider the Best Binocular of All Time.

Did Bushnell send you -

the 8X42 Elite ED (Model 628042ED) ("ED PRIME GLASS" printed on the left eyepiece ring)

or

the 8X42 Elite E2 (Model 628042) (E2 on the focus cap?)

Thanks

BruceH compared the Elite ED. Elite 10x43 and the Swarovski EL 10x42 WB and reached different results than I did. He concluded "the Swarovski had the better view, but it was not a night and day difference. The Swarovski had a better field of view, somewhat sharper edges, slightly better contrast and brightness, and about the same color fringing. The Swarovski, under the right conditions, appeared to have slightly more depth and a slightly better 3D effect."

I did and have since repeated that same comparison but only between the Swarovski and the Elite ED 10x42, and reach these conclusions: the field of view difference in practice is barely noticeable -- 6.3 vs. 6 degrees. Both are comparable in sharpness fall off to the edges, both side to side and top to bottom. I thought the contrast of the 10x42 Elite ED was ever so very slightly better, as was its brightness, in part because I observe an ever so faint yellow-green tint to the Swarovski image -- the predominate color of its coatings. Color fringing was about the same and the depth of field ever so slightly favored the Swarovski. I ignore the possibility of copy difference in the binoculars.

We differ then on contrast and brightness primarily. The contrast issue relates I think to the Swarovski ever so slight yellow-green tint. At distance, but not closer in, I think it provides a very slight contrast edge, but I also think it compromises on brightness a wee tad and on whiteness. The Elite has dielectrically coated prisms I believe, but I don't think the Swarovski does.

It would be a mistake to think these differences are significant for most uses. They are not. Most could be quite happy with either (no knowing the prices). But that is significant in and of itself because of the price difference between the two. I paid $1900 new for the Swarovski and $377 new for the Elite ED in an eBay Christmas day price war. (I hadn't even planned to purchase them but could let the price go by.) Bottom line: the Elite ED is a screaming deal. I actually prefer it over the Swarovski because it is smaller, seems lighter and most of all because it finds optical focus so fast, (much faster than my Bushnell Elite open hinge 12.5 x50), but still has very comparable depth of field to the Swarovski.

The latter point is quite significant to me, but not as much as the price difference which is huge.

Last edited:
Some further observations on the Swarovski EL 10x42 WB and the Bushnell 10x42 ED. Back lit and at a distance where atmospherics or the very slightest haze intervenes (e.g., across an expanse of water), the EL can edge out the ED on contrast and brightness, but not otherwise or closer in where the situation reverses on contrast and also on brightness, but with a qualification on brightness which is the ED has a very slight cream color to its whiteness that the EL doesn't. As I have said the EL has an ever so slight green yellow cast most won't notice until it is pointed out to them and they look for it in comparison to a "whiter" binocular (e.g., Nikon Superior E 10x42). The ED remains a screaming deal, of course.

I compared the Elite ED with a Zeiss FL. Both 10x42.

Did a side by side in the late afternoon shades. Couldn't tell any resolution difference. Finally brought them indoors and gazed at the texture on a lamp shade. After switching between the bins many times, finally noticed a bit more definition in the Zeiss.

The FL is a bit brighter, seems to have a little more contrast, and the field of view is a few degrees wider. The Elite has less pincushion.

The Elite is smaller and lighter. I detected a teenie amount of play in the focussing. The eyecup, while comfortable, slides a bit when pressed against my eyebrow.

Got the Elite at a discount. I paid almost five times more for the FL.

I compared the Elite ED with a Zeiss FL. Both 10x42.

Did a side by side in the late afternoon shades. Couldn't tell any resolution difference. Finally brought them indoors and gazed at the texture on a lamp shade. After switching between the bins many times, finally noticed a bit more definition in the Zeiss.

The FL is a bit brighter, seems to have a little more contrast, and the field of view is a few degrees wider. The Elite has less pincushion.

The Elite is smaller and lighter. I detected a teenie amount of play in the focussing. The eyecup, while comfortable, slides a bit when pressed against my eyebrow.

Got the Elite at a discount. I paid almost five times more for the FL.

This is quite a review. Looking at a lampshade at what kind of distance?

You state the Bushnell is the better of the Zeiss. ;)

For those watching, just consider the source.

Jerry

I wonder if anyone on here has done the comparisson of the Elite ED to the Legend Ultra HD. I own a pair of 8x42 ultra hds and find that the glass is very good and it does seem that they are a tad brighter than my 8x43 Elites during in well lit conditions, but when the sun goes down the elites seem to be able to gather more light and show more detail than the Legends. For instance: I can look deep into an evergreen tree during the day and the Legends seem to show more detail in the very darkest parts of the tree. But, as soon as the light gets low, the opposite occurs and i can see detail in the dark areas longer with the Elites.

I wonder if this would be the case also when comparing the Elite ED vs the open bridge Elites?

For the record, i also find that although the Legends offer a much wider FOV, outer edge blurring is much more prominent and i find it distracts my attention and takes away from the over all image. I much prefer my Elites with a narrower FOV and much less, almost unnoticable blurring on the outer edges.

Took the 10x42 ED on a hike today. One of the objective covers, which is tethered by a slip ring, fell off. Didn't try to find it. Simple solution, just remove the remaining one.

The eye cups did not want to stay put. Tried a few times to adjust eye placement in vain, and then realized either eye cup had retracted.

Still very happy with the resolution. But the depth of field is noticeably less than the Zeiss FL. Focussing is also more finicky, probably due to shorter focal length. Overall view not as bright or contrasty as the FL, or with as much depth. Still, its a bargain.

James:

I suppose what I was reading, is that the Bushnell had the better of the
Zeiss.

I know you are disappointed. :eek!:

Jerry

Somehow, you misread the whole thing completely, and I do mean completely. Reread it and get back to me.

Look, I have tried the SV and it is unsuitable for my uses. You can stop trying to sell it to me, I have what I need. And it gets a bit tiresome with you trying to point out that I constantly need something that you are so hung-up on, so just stop. After the 100th post on the subject, we all know you don't like the FL and like the SV and the EDG. Fair enough, some good glass there and I'm sure your happy - but leave it at that.

And, what's with the winkie after all your posts......are you saying that you don't really mean any of what you say or what?

Last edited:
Hi Kimball,
I've been reading this thread with great interest, and have a question you may be able to answer. I have a pair of Nikon 8x32 HG's (not the L's) and was wondering if I'd gain anything with the Elite 8x42 HD's? I didn't ever expect to find a better bin than this Nikon, but I'm prepared to accept I may. By the way, I did own a pair of Swaro 8.5x42 EL's, and to my mind the Nikons are better, which is why I've kept them and got rid of the Swaro's.
Cheers
Max

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back