• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zone-tailed Hawk @ Cape May (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
One of my Carolina listserv members spotted a Zone-tailed Hawk this weekend at Cape May. After doing some research, not the first time for this west coast rarity to be seen there. So keep your eyes out guys. I'd suggest the whole east coast should keep their eyes out ;)

KC,

FYI,

Wheeler, in his RAPTORS of Western North America, at page 314 in the STATUS AND DISTRIBUTION SECTION of the Zone-Tailed Hawk noted 2 extra-limited sightings in eastern North America as follows: (exact quotes) "Nova Scotia: One bizarre (photographed) record from late Sep. to early Oct. 1976." [and again] "Florida: One (also bizarre) record of an adult on Boca Grande Key in mid-Dec. 2000 (documented in video among a group of Turkey Vultures). (Most raptors on the Keys associate with the thousands of migrant and wintering Turkey Vultures.) If accepted, this would be Florida's first state record."

This book was copyrighted in 2003. Zone-Tailed Hawk is not discussed in his Eastern NA edition.

Bob

Last edited:
Good to know Bob. Thanks.

According to ebird, there are multiple reported sightings of ZTHA in eastern NA on 4 different dates. The first was October 1976 from Halifax, NS. BUT, all the others were of a single adult, all this year as follows:

4/25/2014 - Chappaquiddick, MA
6/1/2014 – Brier Is., NS
9/27/2014 – Cape May Point, NJ AND shortly after, Cape Henlopen, SP, DE.

Good to know Bob. Thanks.

According to ebird, there are multiple reported sightings of ZTHA in eastern NA on 4 different dates. The first was October 1976 from Halifax, NS. BUT, all the others were of a single adult, all this year as follows:
.................................................................................
10/27/2014 – Cape May Point, NJ AND shortly after, Cape Henlopen, SP, DE.

KC,

I assume you mean 9/27/2014. Right?

Bob

One of my Carolina listserv members spotted a Zone-tailed Hawk this weekend at Cape May. After doing some research, not the first time for this west coast rarity to be seen there. So keep your eyes out guys. I'd suggest the whole east coast should keep their eyes out ;)

I was there at the time, although I didn't see the bird, but the folks on the ground there said it was the 1st record for Cape May

Paul

This bird was also spotted in Cape Henlopen State Park, Lewes, Delaware, after it had crossed Delaware Bay.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back