• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who are we? (1 Viewer)

jring

Hi,

both of these images were shot yesterday and the day before in close vicinity of a black kite nest (170m across the river from my balcony) - haven't seen any chicks or juveniles up to now this year, but last year there was two, which I only saw begging for food in the nest but not later due to vacation.

Both adults are frequently visible and are quite a bit larger than the larger of these two.

These two look quite a bit different... the smaller and lighter one (IMG_20170605_141340-crop.jpg) was just a few yards from the nest while the larger one (IMG_20170604_184646-crop.jpg) was two trees away...

Sorry for the non-optimal image quality - I'm not much of a digiscoper and grabbed any phone nearby...

Joachim

Attachments

• IMG_20170604_184646-crop.jpg
    IMG_20170604_184646-crop.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20170605_141340-crop.jpg
    IMG_20170605_141340-crop.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 98
1 is a black Kite, 2 is a Common Kestrel.

Thanks - but what is the kestrel doing so close to the kite nest - looking for a snack? I saw an adult kite in the nest a few minutes later...

And the kite - could it be from this year or is it a bit early for it to be so large?

Joachim

Thanks - but what is the kestrel doing so close to the kite nest - looking for a snack? I saw an adult kite in the nest a few minutes later...

And the kite - could it be from this year or is it a bit early for it to be so large?

Joachim

Neither is much of a threat to the other. Possible the Kestrel had been looking to catch insects attracted to the food waste in the kite nest, or had been mobbing the Kite, but I'd think they'd largely ignore each other.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back