• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (7 Viewers)

buckskin hawk said:
NCTexas Birder
North Texas has a lot to offer! You are in the Central Flyway so during migration you have the chance to see Canadian summer residents. Travel to the west of I 35 and you get the western species and to the east of I 35 you have the eastern.

Join the Texas list server and you should be able to track the sightings of the birds as they migrate. Our Oklahoma list server has lots of sightings reported including our wildlife refuges. When migrants are on the move I can look them up in my books and study just before they hit my area.

I wouldnt say ALOT.....north texas is probably one of the fastest growing areas in the US right now..it you saw you would know....development is on the high...from Sherman to Dallas...developed.....get that picture in your head? we can start saying bye bye to wildlife right now.... :eek!:

in fact, i would go so far as to say that north texas is worst area in the state for birding diversity! development and habitat loss has eliminated alot woodland species especially! the only woodpecker i have around my apt. complex is the Downy...and even he is a RARE SIGHT! the tally for today in yard birds was:

House Sparrow
Mourning Dove
Northern Mockingbird
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler
European Starling
Common Grackle

is that a glorious list to you? NO!
but i enjoy them anyway, since they are birds themselves
we birders come to be spoiled
anyway....that was my rant

Ok...that might have seemed bleak....but THAT IS TRULY HAPPENING RIGHT NOW....think we're glorious now? i think not

some more statistics to make my point....

my local bird group's last bird walk tally ( Nov. 18)was a grand total of.....

27 species :eek!:

the hightlights were reported as Spotted Towhees and a Hermit Thrush...

and NO i do not have the luxury of jetting to the Rio Grande... :C

im sorry

Last edited:
ok that much is true.....

i have been looking for winter waterfowl around the ponds(100 percent water and rocks of course ;) ) lately, been looking for Scaup and others.....waiting impatiently for new bins to actually see them with..... :cool:

Last edited:
sorry i been away, i've been studying for my schools trimester exams. I will be back in force on the 22nd, when they end. My new avatar is supplied by prairiemerlin, thanks again! Snowies rule!

Last edited:
No offense taken - That I 35 corridor is very overgrown. I avoid it at all times. It is impossible to tell where one city ends and the next city begins. I know we are loosing more and more habitate with each building.

Parks are great and Dallas has some lakes/ponds as well. Another great spot is the sewage treatment plants.

buckskin hawk said:
That I 35 corridor is very overgrown. I avoid it at all times. It is impossible to tell where one city ends and the next city begins. I know we are loosing more and more habitate with each building.

Sad thing is this is happening all over. Even in my neck of the woods where condos are appearing all over. Phil can probably tell you how bad the Cleveland area is growing and how bad Lorain County is. Florida, that’s another story...

Ethan

Riding the bus home today, i saw both a sharp-shin hunting starlings (unsuccessful) and a peregrine making a half-hearted stoop at a pigeon (unsuccessful). Nice, fairly uncommon reminders of wildlife in the middle of suburbia!

OwlTalon said:
Riding the bus home today, i saw both a sharp-shin hunting starlings (unsuccessful) and a peregrine making a half-hearted stoop at a pigeon (unsuccessful). Nice, fairly uncommon reminders of wildlife in the middle of suburbia!

Nice birds, sound kind of simmilair to what I tend to see around my house which is in the middle of cleveland. As far as advice to nctexasbirder, the only thing I can really tell you to do is look up alot and listen alot. I know what it is like birding in highly developed areas. About 75% of the bird I have seen in my neighborhood never actually landed. I don't bother looking in tree's too much anymore, nothing really wants to land in the city. However things do fly over. It takes sometime, but give it a shot. I'd say starting in Late March for your area. Just another suggestion of a way to see birds. Good luck.......

Phil

nctexasbirder said:
and NO i do not have the luxury of jetting to the Rio Grande...
If i lived as close as you, I would gladly drive! But that's just me, I'm used to long car rides. 14,000+ miles on the car in 9 weeks of summer 2005, 21 National Parks and a handful of National Monuments/Recreation Areas. I love camping, and my parents just love cross-country trips! Gives me a great oppurtunity to see all sorts of birds!
nctexasbirder said:
my local bird group's last bird walk tally ( Nov. 18)was a grand total of.....

27 species
That's usually all my local club sees.

Saw a huge adult Cooper's today on my street. Not a first, or even a town first, but a street first!

Birding is such a great hobby! (and owls are still the coolest;))

(ovo)
() ()
w w
/ \

Last edited:
Hmm. You know lads, you should start a thread on American Birding in the Local Patch forum. Not many people seem to look at this thread, though you'd get a lot more views if you started another.
Good luck,
J.

The Firecrest said:
Hmm. You know lads, you should start a thread on American Birding in the Local Patch forum. Not many people seem to look at this thread, though you'd get a lot more views if you started another.
Good luck,
J.
Stop trying to offload our American friends! If it wasn't for them, this thread would probably disappear before too long!

btw, out of interest, how is birding viewed across the Atlantic? Is it classed as the same anorak-type hobby as train-spotting as it is over here?

By fellow teenagers, I am viewed (for the most part, with a few exceptions) as a total nerd. Howver, many adults think it is an interesting hobby, and that its great am am actually doing something in my spare time.
Personally, I'd like to hear about the sightings you guys make!
The Barn Owl said:
Stop trying to offload our American friends!
Thanks for that.

I'm not trying to offload anyone (indignantly)! ;) It was merely a suggestion, and a good one too (indignantly again). I just thought a little input from a few Brits would help, but it appears I'm the only one.
Oh, PS. Sam, your inbox is full again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back