• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

Where can I have a go at bat flushers? Actually, only joking, but still interesting that RBA requested that the parti-coloured bat seen at Kelling was not disturbed and it obviously was! When will we learn! Not looking good for the next skulking rare!

It surprised me that the news of any roosting bat, especially one that is a migrant and obviously needs to rest during the day, was put out during the day. If the local bat group or someone had orginised a veiwing at night then news shouldn't have been put ou til late afternon.

Anyway. Unfortunately I didn't make it to Norfolk this weekend, had stuff to do yesturday and failed to get up this morning at a worthwhile hour! Unfortunately i could have got three lifers today, but then theres always another day, even another year. Thanks again to Pomskua for offering to share his wisdom in seawatching. Hopefully I'll make it over another day, even though i may have to wait till next year for some species!

Gareth

Thanks for the information on the pale b brent.. I have looked at my 'phone photos' of the bird, and it definately was one!..the bird i saw then flew west with its dark bellied partner and could well be the same one seen at/past Sherringham.

Spent a while today 'skywatching' in the garden in the hope of adding HB to the garden list but none seen!...The bird i saw coming in off the sea at Blakeney yesterday was very low (compared to the Osprey i saw same day)... Would be interesting to know if the birds seen inland were flying high up or not. All the ones i have seen migrating in Italy tend to follow the coast quite strictly and don't tend to cut corners, but i suppose that is known migration routes for them rather than the birds over here which are off track? Will have a look at those links you have posted

Titchwell September 14th

Today's highlights

Bittern - 1 over main path into reedbed @ 10am
Hobby - 2 east during day
Honey buzzard - 2 south over reserve @ 13:30
Red necked phalarope - juv on fresh marsh
Pectoral sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh although distant and elusive
Little stint - 12 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 20 on fresh marsh
Firecrest - 2 along path to Fen Hide
Little gull - 20 offshore
Spotted flycatcher - 2 at Thornham Point
Whinchat - 1 at Thornham Point
Redstart - 1 at Thornham Point
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore

Paul

Origin of Honey Buzzards

Bearing in mind the HBs were arriving in numbers by mid-morning on Saturday all over the east coast....where were they at Friday dusk and Saturday at dawn?

Spent three and a half hours today with Norfolkbirder on the Choseley north slope (down towards Ttchwell) with an excellent panoramic view especially north, south and west and did not see a single HB! :-C

Did see 6 migrating herons heading west.

Dave

Just got in after a good 5 hours in the field.
Started at Happisburgh, as is the norm now. Walked to cart gap via Doggerts Lane, as recommended by a couple of guys on the forum (cheers). A quiet start, just a Wheatear and Whinchat. Couple of Sandwich Terns on the groynes. Real potential here though, lots of clifftop scrub and gardens for tired migrants.
Headed to Winterton, called in at Waxham. Bit of bush whacking again came to very little, still hadnt seen another birder!
Things finally picked up at Winterton. At least 4 Whinchat, a lovely Lesser Whitethroat and Female Redstart. 3+ Wheatear here, and a number of GBB Gull moving through were noted. I flushed a Hobby on the way back to the car and had a distant view of a Buzzard sp. The Silohuette looked good for Honey but couldnt be sure. Driving through Potter Heigham on the way home, another buzzard sp. Rather than cause an accident I continued driving.
So, the day that almost was I guess. I spoke to a couple of birders at Winterton, and they had much the same experience. Someone had a Pied Fly, but nothing else. Things just didnt materialise like I had hoped today, despite the excitement bought about by the onset of easterlies. Where were all the birds? Did anyone else make it out east today? I see Holme had a couple of good birds.
Cheers,
Jim.

Well a half-decent day today at Holme. Missed the release of the Thrush Nightingale (by 10-15 mins!) unfortunately, having decided to have lay in (was very depressed by this actually it has to be said - coudln't talk to anyone for the next hour without looking solemn and/or snapping! Sorry guys!) I had the grand total of zero Honey Buzzards as well (1 Buzzard sp, 1 Common Buzzard best I could do), but did have resonable numbers of common migrants, with 5 Pied Flycatchers, 7 Redstarts (2 males), 3 Whinchats and 1 Wheatear - also had singles of Song Thrush and Willow Warbler in of the sea. Overall a rather depressing and dissapointing day really, but then they are a necessary evil I suppose. Redstart pics on the blog.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on the pale b brent.. I have looked at my 'phone photos' of the bird, and it definately was one!..the bird i saw then flew west with its dark bellied partner and could well be the same one seen at/past Sherringham.

Spent a while today 'skywatching' in the garden in the hope of adding HB to the garden list but none seen!...The bird i saw coming in off the sea at Blakeney yesterday was very low (compared to the Osprey i saw same day)... Would be interesting to know if the birds seen inland were flying high up or not. All the ones i have seen migrating in Italy tend to follow the coast quite strictly and don't tend to cut corners, but i suppose that is known migration routes for them rather than the birds over here which are off track? Will have a look at those links you have posted

Sacha
Had two HBs yesterday over Attleborough (not unsurprisingly a garden tick!) and both were just blogging along about 200ft up. The first bird was being hassled by a crow and just kept heading south whereas the second one was circling slowly and drifting south but didn't seem to be gaining height before lost to view. An osprey over the garden this morning at 9.30 was about the same height but heading pretty purposefully south. In fact the only raptor I've seen over the weekend that was 'doing what raptors should do' was a lone common buzzard heading very high south west.

Started at Happisburgh, as is the norm now. Walked to cart gap via Doggerts Lane, as recommended by a couple of guys on the forum (cheers). A quiet start, just a Wheatear and Whinchat. Couple of Sandwich Terns on the groynes. Real potential here though, lots of clifftop scrub and gardens for tired migrants.
Headed to Winterton, called in at Waxham. Bit of bush whacking again came to very little, still hadnt seen another birder!
Things finally picked up at Winterton. At least 4 Whinchat, a lovely Lesser Whitethroat and Female Redstart. 3+ Wheatear here, and a number of GBB Gull moving through were noted. I flushed a Hobby on the way back to the car and had a distant view of a Buzzard sp. The Silohuette looked good for Honey but couldnt be sure. Driving through Potter Heigham on the way home, another buzzard sp. Rather than cause an accident I continued driving.
So, the day that almost was I guess. I spoke to a couple of birders at Winterton, and they had much the same experience. Someone had a Pied Fly, but nothing else. Things just didnt materialise like I had hoped today, despite the excitement bought about by the onset of easterlies. Where were all the birds? Did anyone else make it out east today? I see Holme had a couple of good birds.
Cheers,
Jim.

I did a similar but opposite walk to you, getting dropped off at Winterton and then walking North to Sea Palling. Only bird of note at Winterton South Dunes was a female Redstart, picked up another couple on the North Dunes plus a Pied Flycatcher. Also 11 wheatears, 20+ stonechat, 1 yellow wagtail at Horsey Gap, Hobby and a nice male Redstart between Waxham and Sea Palling. Not a bad haul, but nothing out of the ordinary, and no sign of any Honey Buzzards!

James

Popped into Titchwell to see the Red-necked Phalarope, spinning around like a headless...phalarope! Paul you must think I am completely mad, the way I waltzed in and out. Then spent the rest of the afternoon hoping in vein that the Thrush Nightingale might reappear (or be retrapped). Met up with Connor for a good chat and nice to meet you again, Ben.
Interesting how Spurn handled the PGW they trapped. News out quickly and released 1/2hour later at an accessable site. If only...

Cheers,
Jim.

I was along the same stretch this morning Jim, did we pass like ships I wonder? Missed your Whinchat, still need one for the year! My tally was 3 Wheatear, singles of Whitethroat and Reed Warbler and a Yellow Wag over to the west. There didn't seem to be too much hiding; any 'pishing' this weekend only attracted the odd Chiffchaff amongst Tits, Wrens, Dunnocks and Robins although the Reed Warbler was found in this way. Also had a pale looking plover over that wasn't calling and didn't stop; Goldie? Dotterel? Who knows. I tried calling it down to no avail but it's gone now |=\| At home there were the usual Chiffchaffs in the garden, 2 Jays (not had them here for a while) and a Redstart which appeared late morning. Was at Potter Heigham this afternoon where 3+ Chiffchaffs were busy in the hedges of our hosts garden and a Hobby was hawking dragonflies over towards Hickling NNR. No big Bops today, though I was fortunate enough to get 2 Honey Buzzards over yesterday (both twisting their tails, no wonder Pernis is next to Milvus) at 10:50 and an Osprey passed through at c.14:45; excellent garden ticks :t:. Other sightings yesterday were a Grey Heron in off, 4 Chiffchaffs and a Yellow Wag.

Last edited:
After having a lie in this morning, I didn't get out until lunchtime today. I decided to walk Blakeney Point today and I am so glad I did.

Arrived NOA Walsey Hills at 12.30pm. At the end of the bottom path 2 birders were watching a pied flycatcher on a small bush, it then flew across into the bottom willows. I very naughtily walked past the willows along the edge of the field up the wood and on the corner found 2 more pied flycatchers sitting happily, flitting about in the pines at 12.55. Around the gorse at the top of Walsey Hills I found another pied fly. Bumped into Tony A. who had seen a spotted fly along bottom path, which I luckily saw too (1.55pm)! Also whitethroat and chiffchaff. Lots of butterflies on the ivy at end of path aswell, included a painted lady, several small tortoiseshells and red admirals.

Left here and stopped at the NWT visitor centre for loo stop and to collect a cheese scone with butter!!! and arrived NWT Cley Beach carpark at 3.10pm. Looked at my watch, hmmmmm have I got time now, stop making excuses Penny and get down there!!!! With rucksack full of food goodies, flask, water and cameras, plus scope and bins off I set. I lost count of redstarts on the way up, but I had at least 6 redstarts and 3 wheatears. Bumped into Norman Sills (coming from the point) who said he had not walked the point for 30 years!!!! He recalled the biggest fall on Blakeney Point in 1965 when it was covered in migrants!!!!! Carrying on I then found a tired spotted flycatcher sitting on the shingle!!!!! it then flitted onto a dock stem. Along the path just before you cross over to go to plantation I saw a really weird redstart - it was a male redstart but there was a pure white patch from the throat going down through the red of the chest !!!!!! - is this normal does anyone know or???.........???? (I forgot to mention this to the lads at the other end) Also there were several meadow pipits and a chiffchaff. At the plantation there were 2 spotted flys at least and 2/3 pied flycatchers and at least 1 female redstart and 1 male redstart. Also willow warbler and chiffchaff. Got some cracking pictures of these birds too while having cup of tea and cheese scone. I walked across to the 'lupins' where there were a few people deciphering whether or not they had a greenish warbler or not. The Barred Warbler came into view and dwarfed the willow warbler below it in the brambles!!!!!!! (6.15pm). A redstart sat on the post directly in front of us and pied flys sat around the barred warbler along with a whitethroat!!!!!! I left here and had a last look in the plantation and left with a smile on my face with the view of a spotted flycatcher and a redstart sitting on the fence wire together! As I walked around the big tamarisk by the little building at least half a dozen small birds erupted from the bush and shot round the other side - I went to investigate and something big errupted from the bush, stuck its head up very quickly like a jack-in the-box and guess what it was a Wryneck - I was sooooo excited, at last I found something good myself;):t: (6.45pm-7pm) I waved my arms at one of the lads that works at the point who was standing with someone else at the plantation and they came across. We walked all round the bush and then noticed it fly across to the dunes to land on a small bush! I started to walk back in semi dusk and LOADS of warblers erupted from the path as I left the tamerisk area including several more redstarts, chiffchaffs and willow warblers. When I reached the sea a seal was swimming along. On the way back I saw another spotted flycatcher before halfway house. NOTE TO SELF: Do not start walking back from the point at 7pm. Its a good job it was full moon, otherwise I would have been in trouble! I did start to panic a bit I must admit. Kept looking for the triangle shape of the hut on the coastguards carpark. Whenever I kept looking at it, it still seemed to be miles away!!!! It was quite errie following the waves and the moon to get back!!!! Anyway I eventually reached it at 8.20pm!!!!!! Collapsed in car with cup of tea and drove 39 miles back to King's Lynn.

Day off tomorrow but have to wait for new washing machine to arrive, I bet it doesn't arrive until late - it better not!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Look forward to reading it Penny...:t:
Quite a good day today, but unfortunatley it never really materialised :-C
James and I walked Blakeney Point this morning. Totals were as follows;
Balearic Shearwater - 1 (flew East at 7:30am quite close in)
Wheatear - 11
Whinchat - 7
Redstart - 11
Spotted Flycather 1
Willow Warbler - 4
Barred Warbler - 1 (Lupins)
also had a Hobby and Marsh Harrier over the estuary, and a snipe over.
Then we went to Holme to try and glimpse the Thrush Nightingale! Unfortunately it never showed, but we did get 2 more Redstarts and some lovely Pied Flycatchers, totalling 5 birds!
It was a good day, but with no Honey Buzzards :-C and no rares:-C (unfortunately we didn't have time to go for the Phalarope at Titchwell...
It never really materialised but it was nice :t:

Last edited:
A fairly good haul of scarce this weekend, including 2 Honey Buzzards, a Black Tern, a Black Red, a coastal woodlark, a Firecrest and a few Tripits, Redstarts, Spotflys, Pied flys and a locustella in off the sea and into the Suaeda not to resurface despite long-searching.

Details on my website.

Also, can anyone enlighten me on chiffchaff calls. Walking around Wells & Holkham today I heard several giving the classic autumn high-pitched "peeurreett" call (slighty low-pitched in middle) as opposed to the usual hweet call. I've heard this fairly often after Autumn falls (I think a May fall once too?). I always assumed it was a scandy regional dialect and the ones doing that were abietinus types. The ones I saw giving the call today looked like bog-standard collybitus though. Is it a call that our resident ones give from time-to-time? Maybe it's a juv call? I've never heard it expect on the coast or a few times inland after classic fall conditions.

Last edited:
Look forward to reading it Penny...:t:
Quite a good day today, but unfortunatley it never really materialised :-C
James and I walked Blakeney Point this morning. Totals were as follows;
Balearic Shearwater - 1 (flew East at 7:30am quite close in)
Wheatear - 11
Whinchat - 7
Redstart - 11
Spotted Flycather 1
Willow Warbler - 4
Barred Warbler - 1 (Lupins)
also had a Hobby and Marsh Harrier over the estuary, and a snipe over.
Then we went to Holme to try and glimpse the Thrush Nightingale! Unfortunately it never showed, but we did get 2 more Redstarts and some lovely Pied Flycatchers, totalling 5 birds!
It was a good day, but with no Honey Buzzards :-C and no rares:-C (unfortunately we didn't have time to go for the Phalarope at Titchwell...
It never really materialised but it was nice :t:

Hi Simeon

Sounds like you had a good day - I see you had several whinchat, I never had any at all!!!!! Thrush nightingales very rarely show themselves again after being released. I remember (just about!) the one father and I caught in the trap at Holme in '77, after it was released it was never seen again!

Along the path just before you cross over to go to plantation I saw a really weird redstart - it was a male redstart but there was a pure white patch from the throat going down through the red of the chest !!!!!! - is this normal does anyone know or???.........????

Juv males in a fairly advanced state of moult often have this:

http://www.lexsample.nl/img/wallpaper/lexsample_roodstaart.jpg

I had one on the point yesterday in the elder near Yankee and another today in Wells woods. Shame it wasn't a white patch on the wings...

Keep missing you on my excursions to the point or elsewhere. Catch-up at somepoint though....

Also willow warbler and chiffchaff. Got some cracking pictures of these birds too while having cup of tea and cheese scone.

Do we get to see these pics of yours, Penny

Wouldn't mind seeing any pics of the plantation at Blakeny Point too if anyone has any, never actually made this far myself and curious to know what the place looks like!

Matt

Juv males in a fairly advanced state of moult often have this:

http://www.lexsample.nl/img/wallpaper/lexsample_roodstaart.jpg

I had one on the point yesterday in the elder near Yankee and another today in Wells woods. Shame it wasn't a white patch on the wings...

Keep missing you on my excursions to the point or elsewhere. Catch-up at somepoint though....

FANTASTIC Ilya - looks like what I saw, THANK YOU:t::t:

Might go again tomorrow!!!!!!

Do we get to see these pics of yours, Penny

Wouldn't mind seeing any pics of the plantation at Blakeny Point too if anyone has any, never actually made this far myself and curious to know what the place looks like!

Matt

Hi Matt

Yes will do, but not tonight, otherwise I will be up 'til 3 in the morning!!!!!!! Need to get some sleep desperately. The plantation is a rectangular wire fenced area of 1 pine tree, a sycamore (I think) and other leafy bushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back