• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (28 Viewers)

Plans for a SUPER HIDE AT TITCHWELL

Heard from a visiting birder that the RSPB are creating a new superhide in line with their coastal defence project at Titchwell Marsh. Apparently its planned to be where the existing Parrinder hide is. Anyone point me to the link on their official website please, thanks.

Took a walk around The Ted Ellis Reserve today in the vague hope that one of Penduline Tits had also decided to avoid the crowds and fly over the river. No joy, but I did hear and see a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. With one at Strumpshaw and Buckenham Carrs last year could this be a sign they're holding on in the mid-Yare valley? If you decide to go and see it, take an envelope with you so you can post a donation through the hut's letterbox.

Also a wary flock of Greylags at Hardley Flood - several with orange neck collars and rings. I've submitted the sighting to find out for sure, but was interested to come across this site. The neck collars match in appearance and it could suggest that genuine Icelandic Greylags do get down here from time to time, as is suspected.

Also a shame to note that the RN & Fudge Duck site did eventually make it into the public domain and as a result the area has now been fenced off and can no longer be accessed by even the local birders. I suspect things may go very quiet for a while out east, but not for lack of good birds!

Last edited:
Was at Lynford Arboretum today when a birder said there was a Fudge Duck on the first pit north of the car park, so I walked down & it was showing well with Pochard. I had lost my phone at Lakenheath & tried to phone it in to RBA on a friends phone but the reception was crap, has this bird been reported before this in the area.

Mike

Was at Lynford Arboretum today when a birder said there was a Fudge Duck on the first pit north of the car park, so I walked down & it was showing well with Pochard. I had lost my phone at Lakenheath & tried to phone it in to RBA on a friends phone but the reception was crap, has this bird been reported before this in the area.

Mike

Damn - but nice one! I checked there on Thursday as this is a good spot for them, but there wasn't one. Did it have a colour ring? There was a ringed one of dubious origin knocking around a few months back (but not since). It's a regular site for presumed genuine ones too!

Damn - but nice one! I checked there on Thursday as this is a good spot for them, but there wasn't one. Did it have a colour ring? There was a ringed one of dubious origin knocking around a few months back (but not since). It's a regular site for presumed genuine ones too!

It was busy displaying & never showed its legs.

Mike.

Did not need to wear hat or gloves today for the first time this year!!!:t:

Had fantastic views of singing Woodlarks and a brief but good view of a male Goshawk in Norfolk today, missed out on the Red Kite that Connor and Co saw - my fault I got there too late!!! Also green woodpecker, great spotted woodpecker, 1 stunning male yellowhammer, party of long tailed tits, sparrowhawk and 1 common buzzard on route to......

Arrived Strumpshaw just after 2pm and sat in the Fen Hide from 2.15pm until 5.15pm, of course there was no sign of Penduline Tit even though my eyes are sore from studying every reed mace constantly!!! Met some nice people in the hide though. 3 Marsh Harriers, 4 snipe, sparrowhawk, kestrel, several teal, coots, a stonechat sat out on a bush in the middle of the reeds, barn owl, Cetti's Warbler burst into song, a water rail squealed, 1 egyptian goose, loads of greylags and as I was leaving the hide (last one there!) at least a 100 fieldfares errupted from a tree! No bitterns to be seen disappointingly. Stunning sunset over the reed beds. I suddenly realised why the A47 back to Lynn was heavy with traffic - people leaving football:C

SOME good birds in Norfolk today with Hooded Crow (would like to have seen this) at Beeston Reegis, White Stork at Wymondham, Penduline Tit at Strumpshaw, Red Kite at Shernborne/Attleborough etc etc:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:

Mike

I saw a fine looking male ferruginous duck here on the 2nd january.Got excited about a nice find until it scratched it's head,reveiling a blue leg ring! Presumably this is your bird.Close but no cigar!!

...Also a wary flock of Greylags at Hardley Flood - several with orange neck collars and rings. I've submitted the sighting to find out for sure, but was interested to come across this site. The neck collars match in appearance and it could suggest that genuine Icelandic Greylags do get down here from time to time, as is suspected...

An old colleague of mine (and I don't mean your age Ron!) told me there were a couple of Greylags at Strumpshaw in early January that had been neck collared in Orkney. I don't know what the colour/number combinations were...

James

An old colleague of mine (and I don't mean your age Ron!) told me there were a couple of Greylags at Strumpshaw in early January that had been neck collared in Orkney. I don't know what the colour/number combinations were...

James

Thanks James. Interesting. Hopefully I'll get details of where they were "collared", although the light was fading and I'm not sure I read all the letters correctly.

Stop press: I can just this second hear a flock of Whoopers over. A new one for the house list!

Heard from a visiting birder that the RSPB are creating a new superhide in line with their coastal defence project at Titchwell Marsh. Apparently its planned to be where the existing Parrinder hide is. Anyone point me to the link on their official website please, thanks.

i've done one of the guided walks recently with one of the titchwell wardens who said that there will be a new hide but that it will have to be on the same footprint as the existing hide.

Sparham Pools

Hi Folks.

With not much time on my hands this morning I had to keep fairly local, so decided to go to Sparham pools. What a good choice it was, as I managed to get great views of a Red Kite being mobbed by 2 crows. Also on the pools were 10 Goosander, the biggest quantity I have seen there.

I would high recommend a visit to this little reserve. There is always a good selection of birds to see there and it is a great reserve if you are trying to learn bird calls.

Regards.
John.

FABULOUS DAY OUT

Decided to go back to Strumpshaw - got up at 4am, left at 5am and arrived Strumpshaw at 6.15am. Got to Fen Hide by 6.30am. Had stunning views although brief of 2 Otters!!!!!!!!!!:t:;) - I hadn't even got the camera set up and only got a 'blob' picture! (early bird catches the worm!)

1 Bittern over reeds, 1 marsh harrier, 1 bittern flew straight at the hide, too close for most of the photographers! Got a few shots. 2 Great Crested Grebes displaying, also teal, coots and 1 egyptian goose.

THE FINALE!!! 1 Penduline Tit 10.25am, my goodness what a stunning, beautiful bird, reeled off nearly a whole card taking pictures, will post some maybe today or tomorrow. It was just fascinating watching it strip off the reed mace, the colours in this bird were much more vivid than I expected, absolutely awesome bird (new bird for me too!). Bill Baston and Jon Evans with their massive great cameras sat either side of me with my baby 300mm lens!!! (see their pictures on birdguides)

Went to Ted Ellis Reserve - but wrong time of day, only saw Great Spotted Woodpeckers, but an absolutely beautiful reserve, will definately be going back.

Peregrines at Lynn Docks at 2.15pm.

Have to go to work now!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Went to Walsingham today to see the snowdrops millions of them a truly
amazing sight and the scent wonderful and to cap it all a female lesser
spotted woodpecker :t:

Cool drake Wigeon x Teal hybrid with the wigeon flock on Salthouse Flashes (east of beach road) this morning.

Also lone Pinky with the Greylags from Cley East bank.

Cheers, Rob

Congratulations on getting the Penduline Tit, Penny. I am very impressed by your persistence. Getting up at 4 am for it shows true dedication. I am also pleased you had a good time at Strumpshaw as it is my favourite reserve. I just love the place.

Ron

Congratulations on getting the Penduline Tit, Penny. I am very impressed by your persistence. Getting up at 4 am for it shows true dedication. I am also pleased you had a good time at Strumpshaw as it is my favourite reserve. I just love the place.

Ron

Thanks Ron 'persistance' hmmmmm /insane/mad!!!!!:-O but it was most definately worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back