• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

BBRC "current rare species" says white rumped sandpiper (calidris fuscicollis) was removed from list of BBRC rarities in 2006.

Norfolk Bird Report for 2005 confirms white-rumped sandpiper records from 2006 are considered by Norfolk County Rarities Committee.

Ron Seymour and I discussed the white-rumped sandpiper over the phone before my earlier posting. We are happy that it was the white-rumped seen in the afternoon. I talked Ron out of it being one since I was not sure.

Looking in the book at home confirms it was not a dunlin and Ron was spot on in his ID. Jizz not right for dunlin. My notes at the time are not good enough to clinch the bird as white-rumped but no doubt the salient features were noted in the afternoon. :t:

Well done to John and those other afternoon observers who can claim it as self-found: as can Ron but not me, if that makes sense.

Should be a good record in 2009 Norfolk Bird Report in due course.B :)

It a tricky and frustrating one whether you can claim this Paul. Well done for being honest about but it seems clear you were looking at the White-rumped and you were with someone who thought it was one and you weren't sure!

Further ID points were that it had deep red, almost ruby coloured upper scapulars and as the photo and video show one or two of these were moulting into winter plumage on the birds right hand side. Also although not nearly as pronounced as the Pec, the bird did have a complete Pectoral band very apparent when it was front on. Also the upward kinking supercilium past the eye was very obvious on this particular bird. Maybe some of these features you noticed almost subliminally?
In comparison to juv Bairds its was not as crouched or flat backed and did not have the uniform, scaly muddy/sandy brown ''weetabix'' upperparts.

Whatever, sure its been a good ID experience.

I can't claim it as a self find either - not that that means anything! 10 minutes earlier maybe or if i abided by the you know who rules - ''Anyone who notes an important id. feature, any time between the initial finding and the eventual unequivocal clinching (i.e. contributing to the correct identification of the bird)''. :-O;)

Yeah, outrageous its not classed as a rarity, (along with Dusky, Radde's - who knows soon OBP and Bluetail!) how is anyone meant to find a genuine rare these days!!

Last edited:
Whit rumped sandpiper still present on Monday

Thanks for your latest posting Blakeney Resident. Also for Penny's links.

Blakeney Resident said
Maybe some of these features you noticed almost subliminally?
In comparison to juv Bairds its was not as crouched or flat backed and did not have the uniform, scaly muddy/sandy brown ''weetabix'' upperparts.

Agree with your baird's remarks, BR. (Hickling Bird in August 2009 the most recent of that species for me).

I do not recall how prominent the supercilium was but saw enough to say it was not a baird's. I regret being sceptical on the ID and should have shown more people the bird. Bird not so elusive today so locals will have seen it. Thus a straight forward record for the busy county rarities committee.

I will count it as a year bird. Never seen a dunlin with primary projection like it. Posture not right for dunlin.

Blakeney Resident also said
Whatever, sure its been a good ID experience.

Absolutely! Will try not to pass over such an interesting bird the next time.

Titchwell October 26th

Today's highlights

Jack snipe - 1 on fresh marsh from Fen Hide
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Snow bunting - 20 briefly on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 reported on fresh marsh
Peregrine - 1 hunting over reserve
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh

Paul

Thanks to posts re Holme - found YBW in car park 9ish as it was very vocal. Also GreaterPecker and Sprawk here. Twite on beach (thanks Ian) and then walked from 0ld Hunst and got a Purple Pig on rocks with Turnstone plus lots Eider and Scoter.
Plenty of Buzzards, Sprawks, Kes, Barnies etc around at the moment.

The Water Pipit at Titchwell was me Paul, seen late afternoon, looked good but was tricky to see in the thick vegetation to the right of island hide (can you get out there with your strimmer !!) The Jack Snipe was very tricky tucked right into the reeds sleeping, we also saw a Kingfisher from the hide and 25 snow buntings at Thornham point.

The Yellow Browed Warbler is still in the NW corner of the car park by the golf course off the north end of beach road at Holme, called twice and was seen briefly in silhouette, but know matter how much pishing and whistling it never showed again.

Full day out in the field today, with Dave (Gandytron on Birdforum) who is over from Thailand for the week.
Our migrants were:
Woodcock - in off the sea at Kelling
2 Blackcap + 4 Chiffchaff Muckleburgh Hill
Nice views of the WR Sand and GW Teal at Cley
Wells/Holkham was quiet
....Will do a bit more looking tomorrow

Siberian Chiffchaff in Shotesham

On my morning dog walk around Shotesham yesterday, I heard and saw an interesting Chiffchaff, with a very "level" call note and an interesting "odd" song. I managed to get a recording this morning, including some very clear song, which to my ear sounds identical to the recording of Sibe Chiff song on the "Sound Approach" CD (disc 2 track 12). It is a very clean brown bird, but I haven't yet managed to get a detailed plumage description.

If anyone is interested in hunting it down, park near the ford on Hollow Lane (close to the pub "The Globe") - the bird has been along the hedgerows along the edge of the common, both sides of the lane.

Must go to work now!

Andy

Where have all the Red Backed Shrikes gone ?

I can't remember a worse autumn for RBS, we've only had one in late August at Kelling. Very annoying when you're year listing and didn't have a car that week. More importantly though has something happened to them on the continent this year?

I can't remember a worse autumn for RBS, we've only had one in late August at Kelling. Very annoying when you're year listing and didn't have a car that week. More importantly though has something happened to them on the continent this year?

Don't know about elsewhere on the continent but I was in Poland for a couple of weeks in July and we had about 30-40 birds just in about 4 square kilometres! There were plenty of juvenile birds too, so I don't think its been a bad year for them there...

Don't know about elsewhere on the continent but I was in Poland for a couple of weeks in July and we had about 30-40 birds just in about 4 square kilometres! There were plenty of juvenile birds too, so I don't think its been a bad year for them there...

Yes, I guess it's more a case of weather conditions. There seem to be low number of many more regular migrants too. For example, look at the BirdTrack plot for Goldcrest . This shows that 2009 numbers have low all year (probably following the cold snap in the winter?) and that the expected autumn surge has been almost non-existant.

Andy

Goldcrest has been noticeably scarce here in Happsiburgh this autumn. The weather charts are beginning to look interesting for later in the week; Pallid Swift has gotta be on the cards...

James

Titchwell October 27th

Today's highlights

Jack snipe - 2 from Island Hide although elusive
Snow bunting - 13 on fresh marsh
Crossbill - 16 west @ 13:30
Huge numbers of fieldfare and redwing moving west all day.

Paul

Shotesham Chiffchaff

Given Shotesham is close to Norwich I visited the site of the reported siberian chiffchaff over lunch.

No sign of bird until a chiffy sp. called Hueeeet twice but was not seen.
Higher pitched and longer eeee before the final t in the call than I expected.

Could not find the calling bird. Did not hear any tristis song or calls.

An unseen chiffchaff was present lunchtime. Siberian - not from what I heard.

Having been out of county for the last couple of weeks it was nice to get back out on the patch today with the main highlight being the large numbers of Redwings and Fieldfares, along with smaller numbers of Blackbirds, which have been coming in off the sea all day today.

It was interesting watching the behaviour of the flocks as they hit land as whereas the Redwings and Fieldfares all carried on strongly inland, all the Blackbirds would drop out of the flocks and dive straight into the first bit of cover that they saw.

Other notable birds seen coming in off the sea from Cromer GC included a Lapland Bunting and an eared owl sp. which having hit the coast was constantly mobbed by the local magpies and gulls so flew straight back out to sea and I lost it in the murk on the horizon!

Other birds moving included Bramblings, Siskins, Starlings, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits, and as dusk approached the first large skeins of Pinkfeet that I've had over the patch this autumn went over.

Simon

AND my one on 9th August at Blakeney;). I think there was one at Holme too, but I can't remember the date!

Even more annoying when you are year listing is that its now dark when you leave work!!!!!!!!! Can't see my Norfolk list going much further this year (currently 255). With a 'family' day on Saturday, double shift on Sunday, the next time out for full day's birding will be 7th November!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
It was interesting watching the behaviour of the flocks as they hit land as whereas the Redwings and Fieldfares all carried on strongly inland, all the Blackbirds would drop out of the flocks and dive straight into the first bit of cover

As Simon said - it was great to see the behaviour of the thrushes today. Thousands passed over. On Blakeney Point most of the Fieldfares and Redwings kept moving through all day but Blackbirds were very obvious in the bushes. As we approached the plantation at least 50 birds flew out! In amongst the Blackbirds 2 Ring Ouzels were also flushed in the morning and on the way back a Woodcock shot past our heads at high speed.

Also seen were 1 Peregrine, 1 Merlin, 1 Rock Pipit, 2-3 Stonechat and a late Whimbrel.

No hoped for rare birds but a very pleasant two days of full on birding.

Sacha

Stu

Having written up the shrikes for the Norfolk Bird and Mammal Report for a number of years the low point was definitely 1999 with just one autumn record (and just 3 spring/mid-summer birds).
Despite the continuing decline in mainland Europe, totals in the autumn of subsequent years returned to levels reached when breeding was still occurring in the county. Likely that this year is probably just a weather-related blip with continuous westerlies throughout most of September.
Still some time for a late bird though - there was a well-watched individual at Hunstanton in 1986 which was present through much of November before last being seen 1st December so don't give up yet!

Given Shotesham is close to Norwich I visited the site of the reported siberian chiffchaff over lunch.

No sign of bird until a chiffy sp. called Hueeeet twice but was not seen.
Higher pitched and longer eeee before the final t in the call than I expected.

Could not find the calling bird. Did not hear any tristis song or calls.

An unseen chiffchaff was present lunchtime. Siberian - not from what I heard.

I'll try to get the sound file uploaded somewhere - file size currently too large.

Or email me at [email protected] if anyone wants them sending direct - I have a single .wav file of 1.4MB including song and calls.

Andy

Last edited:
Had around 450 Redwings and 20 Fieldfares over my local area this afternoon, also 2 Redpolls and a Grey Wagtail!

I'll try to get the sound file uploaded somewhere - file size currently too large.

Or email me at [email protected] if anyone wants them sending direct - I have a single .wav file of 1.4MB including song and calls.

Andy

OK, at least I've got sonagrams here - of a single call note, and of the crazy song. Birdforums doesn't seem to allow me to upload .wav files, nor let me put them in a .zip file.

A

Attachments

• sibe chiff calls - single.jpg
    sibe chiff calls - single.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 58
  • sibe chiff song - reduced.jpg
    sibe chiff song - reduced.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back