• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Surlingham this evening turned up one of the two Green Sandpipers I saw before Birdfair, this time on the puddle south of the church ruins. 80 Duck were counted, 5 female Shoveler were the new arrivals. The sightings board in the hide listed 2 Snipe from a couple of days back.
Rockland Marshes until dark were very nice; a Barn Owl on a mission and a 400 strong corvid roost, swarming against a full moon.
Cheers,
Jim.

Penny
Have just read, on your blog, your superb detailed account of your day with Simon King. Certainly an unforgettable day, and one you will always treasure.
It is always a privilege to be in the presence of someone like Simon, with his aura and magnetism. Anyhow just wanted say how pleased I am that all went to plan, or should I say even better than planned!!
Best wishes
Richard
Thanks Richard:t:

Surlingham this evening turned up one of the two Green Sandpipers I saw before Birdfair, this time on the puddle south of the church ruins. 80 Duck were counted, 5 female Shoveler were the new arrivals. The sightings board in the hide listed 2 Snipe from a couple of days back.
Rockland Marshes until dark were very nice; a Barn Owl on a mission and a 400 strong corvid roost, swarming against a full moon.
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim

Nice to meet you on Simon King's Walk & Lunch! Hope you enjoyed the rest of the Fair with your girlfriend.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

On Holiday This Week

My three day's at the Rutland Bird Fair are on http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=176904&page=5 and also on my blog.

After not waking up particularly early I arrived at Cley late morning and had a walk round Walsey Hills, which only produced a few common whitethroats and the usual blue/great tits, long tailed tits etc around the bird feeders.

Left here and went to Sarbury Hill (my Pied fly spot!) and all I got here was soaked! - it rained on and off all day.

Cley Visitor Centre for lunch: Jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw and nothing sweet! Met a very interesting couple with a very sweet 4 year old daughter who showed me her nature notebook with drawings in of birds she had done - pretty good for a 4-year old! They had come to England from Chicago for a wedding!!! It was their first time in England and although they thought the area was beautiful, the lady (Anne) could not understand why there were not more 'hawks' about - she said that 'back home' there would have been several birds of prey in the air in the same type of habitat.

Parked at Coastguards, now lashing down with rain, had a cup of tea and a snooze! Eventually got out of the car in between showers and walked to North Hide - on route saw at least 5 Wheatears on the fence wires and posts which was lovely. From North Hide 2 Little Stints, amongst dunlin, loads of cormorants with one spoonbill in the middle of them, 3 Yellow wagtails bounded over the far island, several ringed plover, avocets, redshanks, teal, black tailed godwits and one green sandpiper etc. On route back to the carpark I had a very interesting LBJ dive into the Yellow Horned Poppies amongst the shingle - I kept my eye on the spot where it had flown in to and as I approached the spot, nothing, nothing at all, disappeared with a puff of smoke!!!!! Don't you just hate that! Just got back to the car in time for the next downpour! Several sandwich terns going west along the sea.

Parked at Old Woman's Lane and walked to Dauke's Hide and this was the best part of the day, the sun was shining with blue skies and everything looked beautiful! Andy J. joined me in the hide and then, when the door opened again I expected someone like Eddie M. or Mark G. (the usual evening crowd) to walk in BUT instead a very glamorous blonde walked into the hide who was very interested in birds and whilst chatting to me said she loved birdwatching but her children got bored which made it very difficult - I think she really enjoyed her time this evening as she saw several really good birds including the following: one Hooded Crow at around 7.10pm flying across the marsh towards North Fallen Wood, 1 Common Sandpiper sitting directly in front of the nearest island looking stunning in the sunshine, 1 Barn Owl which flew right in front of the hide, 1 Sparrowhawk zoomed past and also later the same or different one sitting on the fence next to Bishop's Hide, 1 Hare directly in front of hide, 2 marsh harriers, 3 spoonbills flying towards East Bank, 3 Green Sandpipers, tons of Dunlin, massive flocks of starlings, redshanks, avocets, 1 Med. Gull 7.45pm (picked up by M.G. who walked in hide later), black tailed godwits, 1 heron and tons of gulls and a full moon set the scene.

Left the hardcore gull watchers in the hide;) and walked back to my car to have my final philadelphia cheese (loveleeeeey!) and stem ginger roll and a cup of tea and then drove home.

Last edited:
hi all
rlass and me are heading for north norfolk on monday for 2weeks
looked at tons of info my brain is now hurting
we are complete novices any info would be good
ie best times to go out
hoping to see some marsh harriers bit of a raptor man
ta
nidge d

Go to Cley, Strumpshaw, Lakenheath, Minismere if you don't mind Suffolk (Boo hiss!) and marsh harriers are seen 96.7 percent of the time: all are nationally important reserves with plenty of good stuff to see at any time of year and are manned sites. Titchwell have got the builders in at the moment.

2 Weeks gives you plenty of time to explore, and I would do just that! The whole coastal strip is worth a look, and the NWT reserve at Cley is a good place to start.
East of Norwich is my usual stomping ground, Strumpshaw RSPB is an excellent reserve, and then you have Buckenham Marshes, Cantley.
No doubt a lot of these are just 'names' to you, therefore I would recommend a purchase of this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Birdwa...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282762536&sr=8-1

Also on sale in Cley visitor centre.
Enjoy your break.
Jim.

Visited a flooded Rush Hill at Hickling this afternoon. Not the hoped for American Wader, a Greenshank did land briefly but appeared unsettled, calling, no doubt annoyed by the lack of mud.
Cheers,
Jim,

thanks for the advice
the book looks just what we need
will make cley the 1st port of call
we are staying near thorpe market
also going to invest in a ordanace survey map
regards
nidge d

Moth Day at Titchwell with my parents and Gypsy Lane.

Joined my parents for the Titchwell Moth Day at 9.30am.
Mother got cross with me for taking photos (she HATES having her picture taken!)

Later in morning walked along Gypsy Lane (runs adjacent to Titchwell Reserve) and saw a Green Woodpecker (heard only), 1 Whimbrel, 1 Little Egret, 2 Little Grebes, 1 Common Whitethroat, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Grey Plover and 1 Greenshank, oh and tons of greylag geese, mute swans, canada goose and a marsh harrier. On arriving at the beach all I saw were tons of holidaymakers and out of control dogs!

Late afternoon started the MASSIVE job of re-sizing, correcting my Bird Fair photos to add to my blog.

Day One, Two and Three Photos of the Bird Fair now added to my blog.

The Exhibitors stands pictures will only be added to a Birdforum thread which I will be creating this week to also include celebrity/people shots etc!

Last edited:
As I wrote on my blog this afternoon!

Strong North Easterlies with rain currently!!!!! Really should be walking the point (Blakeney Point) but today I am going to be a pager birder - have bags and flask ready by the door just in case!!!! As I want to finish my birdfair photos.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/docking_forecast_weather.html

Will be out early tomorrow!!!

7.15pm - EXACTLY!!!

RBA: Bluethroat on Far Point this afternoon, Blakeney Point!!!!!

Last edited:
Hoping these winds arrive Sunday!

Hopefully a decent sea watch possible on Sunday or Monday! Got to work Monday....

Attachments

• Mon 30 08 10.JPG
    Mon 30 08 10.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 107
had an interesting t/c from a friend in edgefield re a bird in her garden this afternoon. She describes a phyllosopus willow/chiff type. Very fresh looking, long pale supercillium. The most striking feature being a pale wing bar. We have gone through the option of artic warbler, but the super did not appear that extensive? My intial thoughts are that the bird sounds like a greenish. The observer is competent with garden birds. Chiff, willow and garden warbler are regular in the garden which is substantial and has many large trees. The bird will be looked for in the morning. If confirmed i will attempt to arrange access. There is however limited close parking.:cat:

&

No need to shout. I've got a pager too, and it's only a Bluethroat.

it mite only be a bluethroat to you but sum of us have never seen one , so i say think b4 you type & as not everybody has or can afford a pager & what u say can offend others . I say thank you to Penny as its always nice to read what she has to say & is never rude or ungrateful

it mite only be a bluethroat to you but sum of us have never seen one , so i say think b4 you type & as not everybody has or can afford a pager & what u say can offend others . I say thank you to Penny as its always nice to read what she has to say & is never rude or ungrateful

Thank you Pete for your support, but I think David was jesting;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back