• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Consensus?

I’m looking for opinions on the best reference book for British/passage birds. I have one or two “basic” editions and am looking for something with a bit more detail on juvenile/immature plumage, etc. Any advice gratefully received.

I’m looking for opinions on the best reference book for British/passage birds. I have one or two “basic” editions and am looking for something with a bit more detail on juvenile/immature plumage, etc. Any advice gratefully received.

It still has to be Collins

That figure is astonishing.
Agreed, hence I highlighted it. Would be on a par with the 1983 movement (extract from BB: Vol 78 611-637):

"The influx reached its peak in Norfolk on 13th October, when over 400 Jays were counted, most flying W along the north coast; 94 were seen in 10 minutes at Muckleborough Hill, Weybourne, 134 at Walsey Hills (mainly in the morning, largest flock 30), 63 in 15 minutes at Cley, 50 at Brancaster Staithe and 55 S at Snettisham. On the following day, over 300 moved W, again along the north coast, including 74 at Holkham in 20 minutes, 70 at Brancaster Staithe and 123 at Titchwell (including 86 in one hour). Interestingly, the next two days—a weekend—produced no sizeable counts other than 30 W at Holme on 16th."

Are you sure it’s not a typo.
'As sure as I can be' (to quote the iSpot terminology) - I emailed BirdGuides, where I first saw the record. They'd got the report from RBA, so I rang Will at RBA who confirmed the reported figure was at least 278.

Over to the local sky-watchers to confirm / deny / pour scorn / politely suggest they were Jackdaws etc. I for one would love to hear some corroborating evidence before I email that figure to >19,000 people on Monday ;)

Last edited:
it goes to show how easy it might be to make assumptions about where Jays are coming from when we see them at this time of year, especially when we know there are a lot moving nearby. I've seen loads inland recently, but I always do at this time of year - they're always much more visible, and they move around too. A few birds flying along the coast need not be continental immigrants: they could equally be birds dispersing from inland and not wanting to cross the sea. That said with all the migration being recorded on the near continent and the very large numbers being reported in Kent (and, if the Cley count is gen, now in Norfolk too) there seems little doubt that at least some of them are from the Continent.

How confident are people in identifying Continental Jays based on visual appearance as opposed to flock size and flight path? I used to think I could do it but lost confidence in my judgement - is it straight forward enough given appropriate views?

Lots of good points here Dave - certainly easy to assume the Jays are of continental origin, when the likelihood is that the majority are native birds (because we have a large 'resident' population, and 'our' acorn crop seems to have failed, in some areas of UK at least). 'In off' doesn't even necessarily mean 'in off having flown from Belgium / Holland' either, as I keep being reminded.

And where are the Nutcrackers and Hawk Owls?

Interestingly, whilst viz-mig sites Belgium and southern Holland have been getting loads of Jays, those in the northern half of Holland have not. And there have been very few, if any, at Falsterbo. This hints at a central European origin for any immigrant Jays we're getting... in which case, little more chance of Nutcracker than normal I'm afraid (as most of population is further north) and no higher chance of Hawk Owl at all. Sorry!

For the record, no Nutcrackers were recorded in Britain in the 'Jay autumn' of 1983...

Last edited:
Take a gander at these

The field east of the Beach Road at Salthouse was, this morning, graced (?) with hundreds of geese, of various species (Barnacle, Canada, Greylag), non-species and monstrosities. Whether any of these were truly wild is another matter.

Is the one in the LH shot somehow related to Ross’s Goose ?

And, to continue the aquatically anomalous theme, even this drake Goldeneye (below), on Blakeney Duck Pond, didn’t quite look the part. A local birder who walks past most days informed me that he thought this bird was 'new'.

What a shame about the probable non-arrival of Nutcrackers and Hawk Owls. I heard today that birders in the south-east had been hanging mice on conifers. I suppose they'd look a little like baubles: a sort of 'Bait Early for Christmas' ! You won't get another squeak out of me on the subject.

Attachments

• 010pse.jpg
    010pse.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 020pse.jpg
    020pse.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 026pse.jpg
    026pse.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 007pse.jpg
    007pse.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 073pse.jpg
    073pse.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 121
Anyone know what the water levels are like at Titchwell and Cley? A visiting friend wants to photograph some waders so I am trying to decide which way to head. Also is the pec still at Kelling?

The field east of the Beach Road at Salthouse was, this morning, graced (?) with hundreds of geese, of various species (Barnacle, Canada, Greylag), non-species and monstrosities. Whether any of these were truly wild is another matter.

Is the one in the LH shot somehow related to Ross’s Goose ?

There is a similar bird at Buckenham, which I think is Ross' (or possibly Snow) x Barnacle Goose. It used to be occasionally reported as 'Blue' Snow Goose, but was always with the feral flocks.

There was a lone Barnacle Goose on Pat's Pool a couple of weeks ago, possibly from the mini feral flock of 5 Barnacle and 2 Ross' Geese that were in the Glaven Valley last winter (?)

Last edited:
Anyone know what the water levels are like at Titchwell and Cley? A visiting friend wants to photograph some waders so I am trying to decide which way to head. Also is the pec still at Kelling?

Hi Pete

Just taken the dog round the water meadows, was told the Pec had flown off about 2.30. It was certainly there shortly before that, but looks as if it has gone now.

John

Would the acorn failure theory also explain why I see one blog in Norfolk mentioning a viz mig Nuthatch and the fact that I've had a Nuthatch on my feeder for the first time?
The Nuthatch in my garden has also been feeding on seed on the concrete ground, something I have never seen before!

Has anyone else seen a spread of Nuthatches or birds in unusual places this Autumn?

We too have had Nuthatch on our feeders first time in our ten years here

Plenty of mud exposed at Titchwell. When I was there yesterday ruff, black-tailed godwit and spotted redshank were feeding right up against the west bank path.

Plenty of mud exposed at Titchwell. When I was there yesterday ruff, black-tailed godwit and spotted redshank were feeding right up against the west bank path.

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be starting at Titchwell then.

Thanks for the info on the pec too John.

North Norfolk

A reasonable day on the coast today with visiting Northants birder, John Friendship-Taylor.

The adults Sabine's was picked up early morning and a single RB-Merganser swept west off Cley.

At Kelling we picked up the juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper.

Two hours in the Dell did not produce the desired 'Sprites'.

Stopping at the flooded field to the east of Stiffkey village we found another juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper and a large number of Ruff, including a stunning 'satellite', very pleasing.

A Stonking Spotted Redshank on the pool to the west of Morston's NT carpark.

Last highlight today was another nice find, a 2nd winter Caspian Gull on Pat's.

IMG_4837.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

Kieran

I think the invasion of grey squirrels in this country is one of this countries great wildlife tradegies,self inflicted by us,but I guess that's a topic for another thread,vermin

668 Jays south over Hunstanton 0700-1230 hrs today (Sat) - largest flock 62 birds

Absolutely AWESOME Andy and i had to go to Fakenham and missed the lot |:mad:|

Were they in/off from the north or did they come from the east and switch south when they saw the bend in the coast?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back