• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for help on visual differences between a few species (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
I've been compiling information on hummingbirds recently as a few of you may know. There are many species that I will eventually be illustrating, but there are lots of similar birds which I can't find visual differences in.

Basically I'll post some species pairs that I can't find information on separating. If you could point me towards ID traits that are different in the two species, I'd appreciate it immensely. Many species are vastly different in geographic location so the differences are rarely if ever noted in literature it seems.

This thread will be continuously updated with new queries as time goes on.

List:
1. differences between Green-fronted Hummingbird Amazilia viridifrons vs Chestnut-sided Hummingbird Amazilia (viridifrons) wagneri

2. differences between Canivet's emerald (Chlorostilbon canivetii) and Cozumel emerald (Chlorostilbon forficatus). (regarding Canivet's male vs Cozumel male and Canivet's female vs Cozumel female). Actually anything that shows all emeralds, male and females, would be awesome, but I doubt something like that exists. Would be too good to be true...

Last edited:
Don't know if this forum has a character limit on first post but reserving a second post just in case. No yelling please ;)

I assume you've read the sources, but if not:

(1) Rev. Soc. Mex. Hist. Nat. 25 (1966): 222.

(2) Proc. Biol. Soc. Washington 3 (1885): 23.

Good luck--

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back