• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request For Information (1 Viewer)

shytorque

Hi All,

We are planning a trip to Israel around the Eilat area and southern Dead Sea in Mar 2014. Has anyone info for seeing the following species:-

1.Pharaoh Eagle Owl
2. Are there any Crowned Sandgrouse this winter
3. Egyptian Nightjars
4. Hooded Wheatear
5. Syrian Serin
6. are there still any Sinai Rosefinches around Wadi Salvadori
7. Are there currently any Dunn's Larks.

Kindest regards Simon.

HI Simon,

Can't help you myself and this part of the forum is not that busy. You might try to contact some people directly. Frank Moffat (on this forum) is in Israel very regularly and has a lot of contacts there. And Yoav Perlman and Lior Kislev (easily found via google) are good sources of info in Israel. Hope this helps.

HI Simon,

Can't help you myself and this part of the forum is not that busy. You might try to contact some people directly. Frank Moffat (on this forum) is in Israel very regularly and has a lot of contacts there. And Yoav Perlman and Lior Kislev (easily found via google) are good sources of info in Israel. Hope this helps.

Hi Ron,
Yeah I realise this place is a bit mute.
We have already contacted Yoav Perlman and he has agreed to be our guide for Nubian Nightjars etc. I think we have the majority of target birds nailed down.
Regards Simon

dead sea and Eilat

Hi,

Spent last weekend in this area (fed up with rain so a short last minute trip)without seeing any of the species you are after. All the larks seem to have vanished from yotvata and uvda valley. Small arrival of wheatears on Sunday though so hooded may well be in. We had a probable flying over Lots reservoir just below Ein Gedi.

No sign of egyptian nightjar at Yotvata the one evening we tried. Also dipped sinai rosefinch at Amrams pillars but a local birder said that it just depends on the day you happen to be there. We tried twice but clearly the wrong days !

Saker near Umin. In fields directly north of petrol station on main road where you turn off to Umin (or Urim) Only about 200 yards up the road and turn right onto second track. We had given up and only wanted somewhere to drink our coffee away from the petrol station so were delighted to strike lucky as we were then going direct to airport)

Clamorous reed warbler showed well on both visits to lots reservoir and the car park by the white water tower at Ein Gedi had mountain buntings in the car park itself. 3 to 4 cyprus warblers in shallow wadi at side of Kibbutz Yahel at K74.

Hope this helps

Cafe Birder

No sign of egyptian nightjar at Yotvata the one evening we tried.

Hi Cafe Birder,

Do you know where is best at Yotvata for Egyptian Nightjar (I have been to the site before but not at night)? I note 2 were there last week (http://eilatbirding.blogspot.co.uk/). Also, I am assume that the Yotvata residents are pretty accustomed to night-time birders - is this right as far as you know?

Heading there week after next.

Cheers

Nick

We were told the area between the north circular field and the alfafa field is best. This was an empty field but seemed devoid of birds the night we tried. We had no trouble with locals at all. The time just before and just after dusk was recommended . Best of luck. Cafe birder

We were told the area between the north circular field and the alfafa field is best. This was an empty field but seemed devoid of birds the night we tried. We had no trouble with locals at all. The time just before and just after dusk was recommended . Best of luck. Cafe birder

Thanks very much Cafe birder,

Will take a look,

Cheers

Nick

Hi All,

We are planning a trip to Israel around the Eilat area and southern Dead Sea in Mar 2014. Has anyone info for seeing the following species:-

1.Pharaoh Eagle Owl
2. Are there any Crowned Sandgrouse this winter
3. Egyptian Nightjars
4. Hooded Wheatear
5. Syrian Serin
6. are there still any Sinai Rosefinches around Wadi Salvadori
7. Are there currently any Dunn's Larks.

Kindest regards Simon.

Hi Simon,

When in March you going/been?

Just back from a week there. I didn't specifically visit known sites for most of these species but did score an Egyptian Nightjar on Saturday night (15th). This was at the Southern Circular Field at Yotvata, on and around the track leading from the field entrance to the centre of the field, for around 20 mins or so a little after 8pm. Good torch/spotlight needed and, probably, luck. Let me know if you need more detailed directions for this.

Cheers

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back