• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Saturday 7th January

Quite morning at the Moors Pool in the company of Woodwolf, Gertatron and Gary P:

1 Little Grebe, 5 GC Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, 43 Cormorant (birds coming and going all morning), Shelduck fem, 34 Mallard, 11 Shoveler, 59 Teal, no Pochard, 17 Tufted Duck, 84 Coot, approx 200 Lapwing, 3 Snipe, 16 Curlew, 4 Canada Geese, 4 Buzzard, 9 Stock Dove, Raven.

Who amongst you presented my nephew with a "birding book" recently at the flashes? (6year old called Charlie) Apart from a thank you it appears that you have convinced the entire family of three to join the trust. Well done whoever you are? They came to see me today to tell of the chance meeting and to ragale stories of the otter they saw at the boating lake.

Quite morning at the Moors Pool in the company of Woodwolf, Gertatron and Gary P:

1 Little Grebe, 5 GC Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, 43 Cormorant (birds coming and going all morning), Shelduck fem, 34 Mallard, 11 Shoveler, 59 Teal, no Pochard, 17 Tufted Duck, 84 Coot, approx 200 Lapwing, 3 Snipe, 16 Curlew, 4 Canada Geese, 4 Buzzard, 9 Stock Dove, Raven.

Plus 15 redwing in the pony field

Pleasant day, though uneventful.
Weather superb for January. Best sights apparently, are Wren and Song Thrush.
Oh, forgot, Sparrowhawk, male or female?

Hows the new hide going, didnt manage to get to the flashes.

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk.jpg
    Sparrowhawk.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Adult GBB Gull flew south over transmitter field late afternoon. Phil or John will probably do a more extensive write-up of the birds and work-party later.

Who amongst you presented my nephew with a "birding book" recently at the flashes? (6year old called Charlie) Apart from a thank you it appears that you have convinced the entire family of three to join the trust. Well done whoever you are? They came to see me today to tell of the chance meeting and to ragale stories of the otter they saw at the boating lake.

I think that was Gary P one of our wardens. We were giving out some books that Gary had acquired to a couple of families at Flashes (in the old hide back in the Autumn),
I gave a book to a family mom, dad and 2 young son's at moors about a month ago. We really try to encourage any family that have children with them.
:t:John

I think that was Gary P one of our wardens. We were giving out some books that Gary had acquired to a couple of families at Flashes (in the old hide back in the Autumn),
I gave a book to a family mom, dad and 2 young son's at moors about a month ago. We really try to encourage any family that have children with them.
:t:John

Thanks for that John. I have had shelves full of bird books for donkey's years and neither the kids or parents have taken an interest so well done to Gary for achieving where I failed.

Sunday 8th Jan

I hope it doesnt lose its impact every time I write it but a very big thank you for another fantastic turnout at a very productive Flashes work - great work by Hagar, Woodchat, Upstarts, UW82, Wheatearlrp, Beyonder, Puckle, Oriole Boy, Graham LaB, The Hairy Birder and Guy, Charles, Suki, Alison, Paul A, Phil Q, Phil M, Derek, Bob, Gary and Sy V.

The main focus of the work was the management of a 40 metre stretch of hedgerow opposite the Hen Brook. Whilst actually outside the reserve's boundary (being owned by the County Council as part of the Sailing Centre), it forms an integtral part of the reserve, being easily viewed from the boardwalk and forming a migrant corridor along the southern boundary of the reserve. This hedgerow has been taken down to about 4 foot with cut vegetation woven into the remaining trunks to give "bushyness" in future growth whilst a dead hedge has been created parallel to the boardwalk which will hopefully bramble over.

This work will rejuvinate the hedgerow to provide feeding and breeding opportunities for warblers (especially Willow Warbler and Whitethroat) whilst the increase in light accessing the area will hopefully benefit the area of rank ground between the hedgerow and boardwalk, assisting Sedge Warbler another others.

Other work undertaken included the erection of Sy's nest boxes, the removal of several large trees around the feeding station (creating excellent views down the line of the Flashes) as you approach down the path and the creation of a ride through the blackthorn to give views from the Feeding Station Hide through to the old oak tree and beyond. This is likely to be a focus of sustained management work in the 12/13 work party season.

A good selection of left-over mince pies was an added bonus, as was Gary's festive ring which he allowed us all to indulge in.

Last edited:
I hope it doesnt lose its impact every time I write it but a very big thank you for another fantastic turnout at a very productive Flashes work - great work by Hagar, Woodchat, Upstarts, UW82, Wheatearlrp, Beyonder, Puckle, Oriole Boy, Graham LaB, The Hairy Birder and Guy, Charles, Suki, Alison, Paul A, Phil Q, Phil M, Derek, Bob, Gary and Sy V.

The main focus of the work was the management of a 40 metre stretch of hedgerow opposite the Hen Brook. Whilst actually outside the reserve's boundary (being owned by the County Council as part of the Sailing Centre), it forms an integtral part of the reserve, being easily viewed from the boardwalk and forming a migrant corridor along the southern boundary of the reserve. This hedgerow has been taken down to about 4 foot with cut vegetation woven into the remaining trunks to give "bushyness" in future growth whilst a dead hedge has been created parallel to the boardwalk which will hopefully bramble over.

This work will rejuvinate the hedgerow to provide feeding and breeding opportunities for warblers (especially Willow Warbler and Whitethroat) whilst the increase in light accessing the area will hopefully benefit the area of rank ground between the hedgerow and boardwalk, assisting Sedge Warbler another others.

Other work undertaken included the erection of Sy's nest boxes, the removal of several large trees around the feeding station (creating excellent views down the line of the Flashes) as you approach down the path and the creation of a ride through the blackthorn to give views from the Feeding Station Hide through to the old oak tree and beyond. This is likely to be a focus of sustained management work in the 12/13 work party season.

A good selection of left-over mince pies was an added bonus, as was Gary's festive ring which he allowed us all to indulge in.

Some indulged in Gary's festive ring a little too much.

Des.

And also a bit of birding ...

MOORS POOL
11 Pintail (5m, 6f) circled for up to 10 minutes but didnt drop. This the largest flock for 18 years since 15 on the 21st January 1994 and is the fifth largest flock on record.
Also female Shelduck, 5 GC Grebe, 13 Shoveler, 12 Tufted D, 3 Grey Heron, 3 Snipe, 28 Teal, 84 Coot, 8 Siskin, 2+ calling Water Rail, 3 Curlew, 2 Raven, 7 Canada Geese, approx 80 Lapwing, 9 Cormorant.

FLASHES
GBB Gull flew south with 2 Herring Gull, 24 Greylag Geese, male Sparrowhawk perched in the blackthorn scrub by the feeding station. Did anyone get a Snipe count?

SAILING POOL
2 Mute Swan, c15 Siskin in larches on the southern side.

Pintail and Starling were new for the year today, as was the Kestrel that Graham LaB had at the Moors Pool yesterday. Year count is now 73.

Last edited:
Phil has mentioned the work, so here are a few of the shots from today. The light was pretty naf..so I will have to get some more next week.
The 1st pic shows the hedgeline before the work.
2nd after the hedge was cut back
3rd is the new dead hedge

Once again thanks to all 22 of us today, a great turn out and especially from the newbies and the Tuesday crew, that have come over from the other side.8-P
ps I wont tell Paul M :t:
That makes 38 individuals this season, that have been on the Sunday work parties.
B :)John
ps I will take some pics of the other work around the feeding station and post in the week..

Attachments

• 1.before work on er 8th jan12.jpg
    1.before work on er 8th jan12.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.after the work 8jan 12.jpg
    2.after the work 8jan 12.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.the dead hedge by flashes bridge.jpg
    3.the dead hedge by flashes bridge.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
MOORS POOL
11 Pintail (5m, 6f) circled for up to 10 minutes but didnt drop. This the largest flock for 18 years since 15 on the 21st January 1994 and is the fifth largest flock on record.
Also female Shelduck, 5 GC Grebe, 13 Shoveler, 12 Tufted D, 3 Grey Heron, 3 Snipe, 28 Teal, 84 Coot, 8 Siskin, 2+ calling Water Rail, 3 Curlew, 2 Raven, 7 Canada Geese, approx 80 Lapwing, 9 Cormorant.

FLASHES
GBB Gull flew south with 2 Herring Gull, 24 Greylag Geese, male Sparrowhawk perched in the blackthorn scrub by the feeding station. Did anyone get a Snipe count?

SAILING POOL
2 Mute Swan, c15 Siskin in larches on the southern side.

Pintail and Starling were new for the year today, as was the Kestrel that Graham LaB had at the Moors Pool yesterday. Year count is now 73.
At the Moors this morning I had 15 shoveler and 15 tufted and a GGBG going south
on the Flashes kingfisher and Dave had 26 Common snipe but no Jack's also 24 greylags

Long day or what! Here are a couple of bird shots just to show that there was someone on the boil this morning... other than the two Great Crested Grebes who despite being at range (let's face it) aren't even dressed for the occasion!
I was about to take Phil to task about his sex ratio, then I realised that one drake Pintail is noticeably 'pin'less!... would that be a young bird, guys?

Attachments

• Pintails2_filtered.jpg
    Pintails2_filtered.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 121
  • GCG_filtered.jpg
    GCG_filtered.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
At the Moors this morning I had 15 shoveler and 15 tufted and a GGBG going south
on the Flashes kingfisher and Dave had 26 Common snipe but no Jack's also 24 greylags

Wot, just like the 24 Greylags that I mentioned in my post? ;)

That's 3 GBB Gulls already so far this year; last year's record of 18 birds must already be under threat!

Long day or what! Here are a couple of bird shots just to show that, there was someone on the boil this morning... other than the two Great Crested Grebes who (let's face it) aren't even dressed for the occasion!
I was about to take Phil to task about his sex ratio, then I realised that one drake Pintail is noticeably 'pin'less!... would that be a young bird, guys?

Think twice a day is a good enough ratio!

Great photo Sy to capture all 11 Pintail in one shot. You will note that the pinless male also has a much buffier neck and breast so I would put it down as a first winter bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back