• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

i found a pretty large, colourful bird on my balcony! what is it?? (1 Viewer)

treefingers

hello, i only signed up because i found this really interesting bird on my balcony. it definitly does not belong here, so it must have been someone's pet and gotten loose.

here is a picture of it:
DSCN4244.jpg

sorry it's not too clear, i took it from behind a screen door.

it is about the size of a chicken/hen, but leaner...the colours are very bright/vibrant as you can see, and the way it walked and moved its neck was a lot like a chicken. we called Animal Services but there was no answer (it was closed), and the Humane Society couldn't do anything. as we tried to get closer to the bird it flew to the neighbour's yard, and if we went closer it flew to the next neighbour's yard, and so on....

i'm just worried about it now and i hope it isn't harmed. :/ i'm thinking it ended up in a park and that some people will see it tomorrow and call Animal Services again.

so anyway, any of you know what it is?? i looked for a while on wikipedia but it doens't seem to match any parrots or anything else i've seen. i'm pretty stumped.

Hi treefingers,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I am sure you are right and that this is someone's escaped pet, but I'm afraid I can't help with the id. I am sure someone on BirdForum will know.

hey that looks like it could very well be it. although, i'm not sure it had the stripes and it had a lot more blue and green than the golden pheasants i am seeing pictures of on google. then again, i know almost nothing about birds, so you could be right.

Yes it's definitely a male Golden Pheasant - they're pretty unmistakeable birds, there's nothing else that looks like them.

its probably worth mentioning there are a number of different domesticated forms of GP so yours may well look a little different from the pictures you see here.

Isurus said:
its probably worth mentioning there are a number of different domesticated forms of GP so yours may well look a little different from the pictures you see here.
ahh, i guess that would make more sense then.

and people usually keep these birds as pets?? somehow i always imagined people having parrots as pets, not pheasants.

treefingers said:
and people usually keep these birds as pets?? somehow i always imagined people having parrots as pets, not pheasants.

Well to say pet might be a reach. I don't know how much emotional involvement might be had with a bird essentially as dumb as a Chicken. They are kept mostly for ornamental reasons much as a Peacock. Some people eat them, after all they are Pheasants. Also, great favorites with Fly Fishermen - as might be imagined skins of many colorful birds, including this one, are sold for fly tying purposes.

Isurus said:

There are indeed quite a few different colour mutations of Golden Pheasant in captivity, but the one in the picture is a standard normal, or 'Red', Golden Pheasant, so shouldn't look any different to the pics you see of normal or wild birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back