• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who knows their bits? (1 Viewer)

ok, red necked then - it has a red neck! (you won't have expected us to id r-n. nightjar from that eye!)
but thanks to andrew whitehouse for his red backed shrike...

lou salomon said:
ok, red necked then - it has a red neck! (you won't have expected us to id r-n. nightjar from that eye!)

From the eye, I was happy to accept 'Nightjar' as the correct answer ;) . In reality it's not a European species!

Clouseau said:
Here! What's the bird in your avatar? Is it a Nutcracker? A cat? Wottizit? LOL!

She could well be looking at a Nutcracker - get them flitting over occasionally in late summer or winter

Jos Stratford said:
From the eye, I was happy to accept 'Nightjar' as the correct answer ;) . In reality it's not a European species!

i give up. anyone else with eyes on tropical/nearctic/oriental etc. nightjars - i don't look'em up all, now. or tell at least a continent to look for. :h?:

The possibilities are:
Great Eared-Nightjar Eurostopodus macrotis
Gray Nightjar Caprimulgus indicus
Sykes's Nightjar Caprimulgus mahrattensis
Large-tailed Nightjar Caprimulgus macrurus
Jerdon's Nightjar Caprimulgus atripennis
Indian Nightjar Caprimulgus asiaticus
Savanna Nightjar Caprimulgus affinis

It is one of those, right??

Jurij Hanžel said:
The possibilities are:
Great Eared-Nightjar Eurostopodus macrotis
Gray Nightjar Caprimulgus indicus
Sykes's Nightjar Caprimulgus mahrattensis
Large-tailed Nightjar Caprimulgus macrurus
Jerdon's Nightjar Caprimulgus atripennis
Indian Nightjar Caprimulgus asiaticus
Savanna Nightjar Caprimulgus affinis

It is one of those, right??

Yes it is!

I had a look at the photos there, the closest I could find was a Savanna Nightjar. I couldn't see the white moustachial stripe (is this the right term?) on the photo at Birds of India, though.

Photographed by lying on my stomach and wiggling up to one in the middle of the night just outside Yala National Park in Sri Lanka. Had a rather big (not seemingly too happy) Elephant blocking off my walk back to my motorbike afterwards!

Jos Stratford said:
Photographed by lying on my stomach and wiggling up to one in the middle of the night just outside Yala National Park in Sri Lanka. Had a rather big (not seemingly too happy) Elephant blocking off my walk back to my motorbike afterwards!

Lying on your stomach in the middle of the night, it is as well that the Elephant did not have somewhere to go at that time!
It sort of reminds me of a potentially dangerous time watching choughs here in the Isle of Man. I had spotted a small flock of choughs from the road, and climbed over a gate into the next field to peer over the hedge. After a while, I heard the noise of a liquid running behind me, and there was a bull urinating as it stood about 10-20 metres away from me in the same field that I was in. Fortunately, he was standing contentedly with a harem of cows, and did not go for me. I suppose that he was happy enough to be surrounded by a bevy of beauties, in his eyes, obviously, not mine!
Allen

Can't decide whether this has been identified yet, but if it was Yala, and you were on your belly, I guess it is Indian Nightjar then.

Elephants kill more people in SL than tarantulas don't they?

GV

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back