• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the best time to go birdwatching? (1 Viewer)

I'm a big believer in early morning birding. I try to get out there as early as possible as there are quite a few birds that will be very obvious first thing but will be tucked up asleep by mid morning.
On holiday in Menorca the other week I was out at 6.45am birding and in a one hundred metre length of scrub by both sides of the road I counted at least 14 separate nightingales calling and/or singing, when I returned along the same road 3 hours later there was only one bird calling.

Dawn is always good - though not all birds are active very first thing.

The best time is when fewest people are about - again dawn is good for that too.

Also it depends on which kinds of birds you're after. Raptors like late morning thermals, eg. Weather can be important: before & after rain storms can be good, inshore gales are best for seabirds, etc.

Best time of day in terms of best probability to see the greatest diversity of birds:

Passerines and near-passerines (cuckoos, woodpeckers, etc.): morning before 10:30am appx.--but the earlier the better
Raptors: late morning/afternoon
Shorebirds, ducks, gulls, terns, herons, and other waterbirds: any time can be good, but tides are relevant near ocean for shorebirds esp.
Owls, Nightjars, Rails: night

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
early morning with no one else around takes some beating, then as soon as the dog walkers take over go back home and and earn some browny points.

Then after evening meal.... do the pots (more Browny points) and go for an evening stroll knowing everyone is now watching Coronation street.... win win situation

early morning with no one else around takes some beating, then as soon as the dog walkers take over go back home and and earn some browny points.

Then after evening meal.... do the pots (more Browny points) and go for an evening stroll knowing everyone is now watching Coronation street.... win win situation

Nice one Dave :t::t:

I have found that any time of day can produce interesting birds. It depends very much on the following five factors - species, time of day, weather conditions (both currently and expected), disturbance and habitat.

CB

Try different times of day on different days.
I love early mornings personally.
A lovely walk builds up an appetite for a nice fry up!!!!

Hello,

how said before dawn is very good especially for forest birds.
But if You have e.g. strong rain until 10 am and sun follow, then about 10 am is similar like dawn.

Golden Eagle in the Alps like thermal conditions so the main activity time is from 9 am to 5 pm.

Alpine Chough every day time is good, but better is sit on the alpine peaks and eat something.

For waders and water birds the time is not important, except this is an area with many visitors e.g. spare time activities ( hiking, cycling and so on ).
For waterbirds on a big lake, windy conditions are helpful if there exists a wind protected area.
In this case the water birds are close together.
In case of sunny and not windy conditions the waterbirds are widespread over the lake.

Owls are mostly in the night activ, but some also during dawn.

Capercaillie in german Alps is only possible in Mai from dawn to sunset.

Ptarmigan I saw mostly only during heavy snowing.

For migration time of cranes and geese the time before darkness is the best, if You look at the assembly place.

In agriculture area more important than time is the activities of agriculture people e.g. plowing.

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back