• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shelduck ID - Pennington UK (1 Viewer)

r1ch1eg

very much a novice...
Hi,
I saw this unusual "Shelduck" with 4 other normal Shelducks at Pennington, Hampshire, this afternoon.
A quick google check seems to imply it's a Female Australian Shelduck, am I correct?
Also, I presume this is an escapee...although no ID rings could be seen.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Richie

Attachments

• PenningtonShelduck1.jpg
    PenningtonShelduck1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 237
Shelduck - follow up

It was a pleasure to meet you at Fishtail today. We followed up your directions to the shelduck group, without success. The light was failing, so we may simply have missed them. Good photo effort though. Was that with your phone's camera, through the scope? If so, there's hope for all of us. John O-C

Thanks

Hi Vinch and "Watermain" thankyou for the ID. The bird certainly had Egyptian Goose aspects. Yes it was a phonescope attempt, came out better than I expected at X50 magnification.
Hope to catch up with you again.
Richie

Hi Joern,
Thank you for your interesting comments.
I have looked through the pictures and have compared them with my notes/photos.
It does appear to be more like a Ruddy Shelduck X Common Shelduck cross.
The bird is similar to many of the examples you gave, however not identical.
The closest bird being this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yeliseev/4042303233/

The body and wing colours are the same.

The differences were:
Head and neck should be black.
There should be a teardrop shaped white eye ring.
The sides of the bill were a pale pink/orange, the central part of the bill was grey.

Other point of interest.
The underside of the wings were the same as a normal Shelduck.
The forewing was white and partly visible when the wings were folded.
There was a green wing panel.

An interesting bird, that hopefully will be photographed again soon.

Richie

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back