• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7x35 EII such a thing? (1 Viewer)

Simon S

I am looking at buying what is supposedly a Nikon 7x35eII but I am not convinced there is such a thing?
Anyone know any better?
Thanks for your help.

Not that I was ever made aware of Simon though Henry would be more of an expert at it than I.

The 7x35 E never made it to the E II lineup. The last version of the 7x35 was the Criterion version with the full multicoatings but I know you are aware of that. Maybe the person you are buying it from mistook the change from single-coated to multicoated to signify E to E II?

Frank, thanks for the conformation.
Seller on ebay was offering these as a Nikon 7x35 EII but I think just a later E model.

Attachments

• nikon 7x35eII.jpg
    nikon 7x35eII.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 697
Frank, thanks for the conformation.
Seller on ebay was offering these as a Nikon 7x35 EII but I think just a later E model.

Hello Simon,

It is always a good idea to check the claims on that electronic auction site.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Simon,

Yes, those are the fully multicoated model. Not sure what they are being sold at(restraining myself from looking at that auction site for several months ;) ) but I have seen them sell for upwards of $350 US. I sold my last pair to another forum member a year or so ago.

This is the UK fleabay auction site. I might offer the seller a price but I think he has been offended by me correcting him. :-C

Latest on the Nikons is I should have them in my hands tomorrow.
I also think the C in a circle might well be copyright?

I found this, which may be of interest . I think the 'C' denotes the most recent of 2 versions:

7x35 E from 1978 - 1988 http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/4320194164/in/set-72157623234405689/

and

7x35 E CF from 1988 to 2000 http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/5270191814/in/set-72157623234405689/
Thanks JabaliHunter.
The first link is my site, the second more detailed link is WPGbinocular, a great collector and Gentleman.
It may well mean central focus but that too is unconfirmed.

Nice collections!

You don't think it is the 'Criterion' designation as suggested by Frank above and also the comment posted on that second link?

Anyway, I'd be interested to see what you think of them when they arrive. I think Ace Cameras have two, but I am led to believe are both the earlier versions.

CF in the way it was listed in the post above would most certainly mean Center Focus. The "C" that is on the prism plate of the fully multicoated 7x35 E means Criterion or at least I was always led to believe that.

CF in the way it was listed in the post above would most certainly mean Center Focus. The "C" that is on the prism plate of the fully multicoated 7x35 E means Criterion or at least I was always led to believe that.

I have a few in this series and like Frank I think it denotes the Criterion Series. Nikon manufactured many other center focus before and after without a C to mark them as such and the only Nikons I've ever seen with the C were part of the Criterion Series....seems kind of self explanatory.

One thing for sure is that you'll have to draw your own conclusions--unlike many manufacturers Nikon is very enigmatic about the such innocuous information.

Steve

One thing for sure is that you'll have to draw your own conclusions--unlike many manufacturers Nikon is very enigmatic about the such innocuous information.
Steve

Nikon serial numbers and model names have got to be the most confusing of all makers.

Simon and FrankD,

For the year 1999 in the Verrejkijkers EXCEL document listing of Nikon Binoculars there are 3 EII CF porro prism binoculars listed. (That is the way they are designated on the document: "EII CF.") One is a 7 x 35 and it is separate and distinct from the 7 x 35 Criterions which were listed from the year 1988. I don't know how to link this document here and I don't remember where I got it either.:-C

And the 8 x 30 EII and 10 x 35 EII we know and use are also shown to have appeared in 1999.

So, according to the document, in 1999 there was a 7 x 35 EII CF with a 7.5* FOV listed with 2 others as below:

7 x 35 with a 7.5* FOV.

8 x 30 with a 6.0* FOV,

10 x 35 with a 5.0* FOV.

Bob

Last edited:
Simon and FrankD,

For the year 1999 in the Verrejkijkers EXCEL document listing of Nikon Binoculars there are 3 EII CF porro prism binoculars listed. (That is the way they are designated on the document: "EII CF.") One is a 7 x 35 and it is separate and distinct from the 7 x 35 Criterions which were listed from the year 1988. I don't know how to link this document here and I don't remember where I got it either.:-C

And the 8 x 30 EII and 10 x 35 EII we know and use are also shown to have appeared in 1999.

So, according to the document, in 1999 there was a 7 x 35 EII CF with a 7.5* FOV listed with 2 others as below:

7 x 35 with a 7.5* FOV.

8 x 30 with a 6.0* FOV,

10 x 35 with a 5.0* FOV.

Bob
Well thats set the cat amongst the pigeons!
The binocular has arrived today, a narrow fov was the first thing I noticed, followed by the bright sharp and almost perfectly flat image. Compared to the 8x30EII the binocular is a touch brighter, down to the larger objectives and to a point in low light the larger exit pupil.
The paperwork included states this model as the "7x35E CF" and nothing about EII, however maybe the EII designation was an informal description for the later multicoated binocular variant.
To me honest, I prefer the 8x30EII, this 7x35 has a great view but doesn't have the huge fov of the Japanese 70's bins. Comparing them to the Pentax Marine , both have superb views with similar field of view, but the Nikon is brighter thanks to 30 years advance in coatings.

Simon and FrankD,
Bob

Here's the link: http://www.hansbraakhuis.nl/ . See "all Nikon binoculars, telescopes" 2nd column from left and 3rd up from bottom. I admit to being skeptical there ever was a 7X35 EII made but this is pretty convincing.

The 1999 listing for a 7x35 "E II" is almost certainly inaccurate. Notice that the FOV specs for the so called 8x30 and 10x35 "E II" models listed below the 7x35 are simply wrong for either the E or the EII series models. The weights, however, match Nikon's specs for the E series, not the EII series. I think this is just a completely garbled entry.

It looks like he updates these documents.

The document in the link posted by LTP is updated Jan. 2013. The document I used to get my info from was updated Dec. 2010. The numbers in the column for these 3 are 345, 346 and 347. #347, the 10 x 35 with the 5* FOV, has a long comment on it. These are noted as being made in 1999. Numbers 363 and 364 were made in 2000.

Except for a change in their sequential numbering everything remains the same. Weights are the same.

The document updated Jan 2013 has sequential numbering of 346,347 and 348 for those made in 1999, and 361 and 362 for those made in 2000.

Bob

Bob,

361 and 362 are certainly EII's. 346, 347 and 348 are most likely the old E's with correct weights but incorrect FOV specs. Your guess is as good as mine as to why the E series would appear on the list for 1999, unless it's because that was the year they were discontinued. If you look through the list you will find other inexplicable examples of the same models appearing more than once and some obvious errors, like the names of the 7x50 Prostar and 10x70 Astrolux reversed. Just a casual look reveals too many errors for this document to be considered authoritative.

Henry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back