• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Big Year - 2016. 398 so far. (3 Viewers)

Sounds like Mark has called it on 405 so its time for a huge well done on this tremendous total, time for him to put his feet up and break out the B :)B :)B :)B :)B :) I think!

If you fancy beating it, all I can say is you will need lots of time, money and a very understanding partner.... and I reckon then it wont be beaten for some time to come!

Sounds like Mark has called it on 405 so its time for a huge well done on this tremendous total, time for him to put his feet up and break out the B :)B :)B :)B :)B :) I think!

If you fancy beating it, all I can say is you will need lots of time, money and a very understanding partner.... and I reckon then it wont be beaten for some time to come!

Steph

It will be good to see a list and compare it to Adrian Webb's effort. The number of itself is of course a bit meaningless using a taxonomy/approach which is shall we say slightly opaque - save for the obvious comment that it is a fantastic effort and obviously more than anyone else has seen in a year!

All the best

Indeed. Hopefully a full-list will be placed in the public domain at some point early in the New Year.... what an achievement though, and congratulations to this fella. An amazing achievement (especially when you think the likes of the UK400Club was created for the few (back-then) who had managed to surpass 400 species in their life-times!). As Steph says, the real key to beating this will be being lucky enough to start in a year which turns out to be amazing for the sheer number of species recorded across the UK...

LGRE was quoting a higher figure on FB last week (I think he said that Mark had recorded 413 species?), but this was no-doubt UK400 rules....

Last edited:
Has lego accused Mark of cheating yet? 405 in a year is a remarkable total in what has been a great year for rare birds. Well done Mark:t:

Sounds like Mark has called it on 405 so its time for a huge well done on this tremendous total

That's brave - I've seen some mega birds over Christmas in the past - I think at this stage if it was me I'd say "it ain't over till its over, Booboo!"

New Year's Eve is time for the bubbly.

John

That's brave - I've seen some mega birds over Christmas in the past - I think at this stage if it was me I'd say "it ain't over till its over, Booboo!"

New Year's Eve is time for the bubbly.

John

Forget hanging up his bins - I understand Mark was spotted at the Blue Rock Thrush yesterday for bird #406

Forget hanging up his bins - I understand Mark was spotted at the Blue Rock Thrush yesterday for bird #406

Is there any other record claim out there without a species list? Noah, Arjan, John, Olaf/Bradley, Laura, Christian, etc, etc...........

Someone said to me last night - 'he'll be remembered as the bloke who claimed 400 if there isn't a list soon'.......... Of course, as he has chosen to do a UK400 Club list, he'll need to submit it to Lee for vetting :eek!::eek!:

All the best

In a typical year, how much extra effort would be involved in doing a UK big year based on seeing all recognised bird taxa, rather than all currently-recognised species?

In a typical year, how much extra effort would be involved in doing a UK big year based on seeing all recognised bird taxa, rather than all currently-recognised species?

The BOU list of accepted subspecies is an interesting place to start but the sticking point will be hanging around coastal observatories to clock up continental subspecies generally only identifiable by biometrics (or even worse ringing recovery). More to gain subspecies wise by that rather than St Kilda Wren for instance. I have got a master spreadsheet at home that I try and update from a personal listing perspective though I've never added it up and lots of subjectivity in there!

So what's his 'real' (BOU, or IOC) list? About 20-30 less?

Best guess about that but its only a guess. That is what you get for using a one man acceptance committee and taxonomy. Impossible to have any real clue what the current number comprises.

All the best

Eighth edition of British List with subspecies is attached below. A few changes/acceptances since but I'll have a look later to see what sensibly can be chased in a standard year.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• British List with subspecies.pdf
    323.6 KB · Views: 93
Thanks Paul. I was idly wondering whether it might make sense to take this approach as the ultimate taxonomic insurance policy, but a quick look at the list suggests it would be a rather substantial undertaking!

Thanks Paul. I was idly wondering whether it might make sense to take this approach as the ultimate taxonomic insurance policy, but a quick look at the list suggests it would be a rather substantial undertaking!

Just finished working it out. Not too bad........

A (probably inaccurate) canter through produced the following approximately 70 realistic annual taxa targets in addition to various additional possible rarities (eg Yellow Wagtails, Black-eared Wheatears, Isabelline Shrikes, Siberian Stonechats, even Desert Wheatears?, etc, etc) – the English names adopted are those of the Clevedon Festive Committee of Nomenclature:-

Tundra Bean-Goose – Anser fabalis rossicus (arguably easier than nominate)
Greenland White-fronted Goose – Anser albifrons flavirostris
Lesser Snow Goose – Anser caerulescens caerulescens (most recent ones are atlanticus whereas historically caerulescens predominated?)
Todd’s Canada Goose – Branta canadensis interior
Lesser Canada Goose – Branta canadensis parvipes
Pale-bellied Brent Goose – Branta bernicula hrota
Black Brant – Branta bernicula nigricans
Boreal Eider – Somateria mollissima borealis (is it on the list yet?)
Multi-coloured Ring-necked Pheasant – Phasianus colchicus various!! (are any actually self-sustaining?)
Arctic Ringed Plover – Charadrius hiaticula tundra
Icelandic Black-tailed Godwit – Limosa limosa islandica (arguably easier than nominate)
Icelandic Knot – Calidris canutus islandica
Siberian Dunlin – Calidris alpina alpina (is schinzii the commonest?)
Arctic Dunlin – Calidris alpine arctica (is schinzii the commonest?)
Icelandic Redshank – Tringa tetanus robusta
Faroese Snipe – Gallinago gallinago faaeroeensis
Baltic Razorbill – Alca torda torda
Southern Guillemot – Uria aalge albionis (is aalge the commonest?)
Russian Common Gull - Larus canus heinei (overlooked?)
Continental Lesser Black-backed Gull – Larus fuscus intermedius
Baltic Gull – Larus fuscus fuscus (you couldn’t really call yourself a yearlister unless you were prepared to string a fuscus!)
Northern Herring Gull – Larus argentatus argentatus
Kumlien’s Gull - Larus glaucoides kumlieni
Continental Great Spotted Woodpecker – Dendrocopos major major
Continental Jay – Garrulus glandarius glandarius
Continental Jackdaw – Corvus monedula monedula (and you should be able to string something from further east?)
Continental Blue Tit – Cyanistes caeruleus caeruleus
Continental Great Tit – Parus major major
Continental Coal Tit – Periparus ater ater
Northern Long-tailed Tit – Aegithalos caudatus caudatus
Scanidnavian Chiffchaff – Phylloscopus collybita abietinus (have DNA kit will travel…)
Siberian Chiffchaff – Phylloscopus collybita tristis
Northern Willow Warbler – Phylloscopus trochilus acredula (it was really grey honest guv’nor…)
Siberian Lesser Whitethroat – Sylvia curruca blythi (another one to chase with a pot…..)
Eastern Subalpine Warbler – Sylvia cantillans albistriata (assuming cantillans a little easier?)
Northern Treecreeper – Certhia familiaris familiaris (again it was really grey honest….. to be claimed on a day with nominate Blue, Great & Coal Tits)
Shetland Wren – Troglodytes troglodytes zetlandicus
Hebridean Wren – Troglodytes troglodytes hebridensis
St Kilda Wren – Troglodytes troglodytes hirtensis
Fair Isle Wren – Troglodytes troglodytes fridariensis
Continental Wren – Troglodytes troglodytes troglodytes (another one for a coastal ringing station)
Shetland Starling – Sturnus vulgaris zetlandicus
Celtic Dipper – Cinclus cinclus hibernicus
Black-bellied Dipper – Cinclus cinculs cinclus
Hebridean Song Thrush – Turdus philomelos hebridensis
Continental Song Thrush – Turdus philomelos philomelos
Icelandic Redwing – Turdus iliacus coburni
Continental Robin – Erithacus rubecula rubecula
Red-spotted Bluethroat – Luscinia luscinia cyanecula (again is cyanecula actually easier now than sveccica?)
Continental Stonechat – Saxicola rubicola rubicola (is this on the list yet?)
Greenland Wheatear – Oenanthe oenanthe leucorrhoa
Hebridean Dunnock – Prunella modularis hebridium
Continental Dunnock – Prunella modularis modularis
Blue-headed Wagtail – Montacilla flava flava
Grey-headed Wagtail – Montacilla flava thunbergi (plus vaious other rarities)
White Wagtail – Montacilla alba alba
Hebridean Meadow Pipit – Anthus pratensis whistleri
Scandinavian Rock Pipit – Anthus petrosus littoralis
Continental Chaffinch – Fringa coelebs coelebs
Scottish Linnet – Carduelis cannabina autochtona
Continental Twite – Carduelis flavirostris flavirostris
Greenland Redpoll – Carduelis flammea rostrata
Icelandic Redpoll – Carduelis flammea islandica (is this on the list yet?)
Horneman’s Arctic Redpoll – Carduelis hornemanni hornemanni (is this commoner than exilipes now?)
Continental Bullfinch – Pyrrhula pyrrhula pyrrhula
Snow Bunting – Plectrophenax nivalis nivalis/insulae (a real conundrum)
Lapland Bunting – Calcarius lapponicus lapponicus/subcalcaratus (another real conundrum)

Time to be spent with wader ringing groups as well as east coast ringing groups………….

All the best

Just finished working it out. Not too bad........

A few comments (in italics) . . .

Tundra Bean Goose – Anser fabalis rossicus (arguably easier than nominate) I'd say yes, unless you live near Glasgow
Arctic Ringed Plover – Charadrius hiaticula tundra Also Icelandic Charadrius hiaticula psammodromus
Icelandic Black-tailed Godwit – Limosa limosa islandica (arguably easier than nominate) Yes, a lot easier
Siberian Dunlin – Calidris alpina alpina (is schinzii the commonest?) Not sure which is commonest, but I'd suspect alpina
Southern Guillemot – Uria aalge albionis (is aalge the commonest?) No, most are albionis; think only northern Scotland are aalge
Siberian Lesser Whitethroat – Sylvia curruca blythi (another one to chase with a pot…..) And also halimodendri, etc.
Continental Stonechat – Saxicola rubicola rubicola (is this on the list yet?) Officially, not yet (but they almost certainly occur here!)

A few comments (in italics) . . .

Tundra Bean Goose – Anser fabalis rossicus (arguably easier than nominate) I'd say yes, unless you live near Glasgow

Speaking as an occasional hunter of the alleged Fannyside Loch Bean Geese I have to disagree with this: the ****ing B******s are practically impossible!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back