• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (2 Viewers)

both look like cachinnans. those longitudinal dark marked scapulars are not uncommon for caspian gulls, this ind. (2nd bird) being fairly advanced in moult (many replaced coverts).

Attachments

• IMG_6175 - Kopie (3).JPG
    IMG_6175 - Kopie (3).JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 55
Herastrau, January 11th 2013

Attachments

• P1118764m.jpg
    P1118764m.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 49
  • P1118767m.jpg
    P1118767m.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P1118772m.jpg
    P1118772m.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P1118774m.jpg
    P1118774m.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 44
If that's a YLG, then I'm overlooking some of them in the Dartford area. Is it a 3cy Herring Gull??

Cheers, Andy.

looks a lot like a 2nd cycle herring gull. one of those long winged north-eastern types probably. note 3rd gen. scaps and some 3rd gen. tertials - is this normally found in argentatus at this time of year?
can't turn it into a YLG though...congratulations, cristian, one more argentatus this winter, they sum up now to at ~ 4-5 obs.

I didn't manage to take shots with this bird in flight, but I would say that the wings were rather short and the terminal band of the tail was rather broad.

if you saw the tail like you describe it, there should be no doubt. but even without that i guess we can see enough to say it's a herring gull. :t:

Hi lou and Andy, many thanks for your replies. I thought it was a YLG but with so many hybrids seemingly on the increase up here, I was a bit reticent to put a name to it. YLG`s are scarce up here, in fact this is the first I`ve seen on my local beach area this Winter( it was there again this morning).There are a few up river at Richmond Bank/ Arpley Tip in Cheshire, but the picture there is becoming cloudy too, with several hybrids turning up( including the recent colour-ringed Great Black-backed x Yellow-legged individual.)

cheers, Pete.

13.01.2013 Artvin - Hopa - Turkey

Very large gull groups was in area. My time is very limited. I have only 15 min to take this photos. I want to share from here.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 46
hi tsingy,

want to come back on these valuable pics (and difficult IDs for that matter ;))

1. looks very good for adult heuglin's gull (larus fuscus heuglini): slate grey mantle, cachinnans like long bill and long legs.

2. pretty classic cachinnans (caspian gull) - long pale based bill, dark bill mark might suggest a younger adult, 4cy or 5cy.

3. pale mantled birds are caspians, but the dark one is from the fuscus-group. strangely it's jizz (head striation, shorter and yery yellow bill, apparently deep yellow legs) remind of a western fuscus (subsp. intermedius) but very late primary moult (p9 and p10 not fully grown) again suggest heuglini rather than graellsii/intermedius.

4. younger adult caspian (probably 4cy or 5cy), due to dark bill mark plus shortish ventral p10 tongue.

5. 2cy (1st winter) michahellis. extremely blunt tipped bill excludes cachinnans. armenicus usually has a paler underwing and paler head but i wonder if we can totally exclude this sp.

best wishes and good birding in 2013!

Tricky to ID at this time of year with many washed out Common Gulls around though I would suggest this is a 1st winter Ring-billed? (in Cornwall yesterday)

Attachments

• IMG_2302.JPG
    IMG_2302.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back