• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible American Wigeon South Wales (1 Viewer)

Cudyll Bach

Spain
One of my fellow bird club members took this shot of a possible American Wigeon at Cosmeston Lakes near Barry, South Wales. Can anyone give me a positive Id of the bird?

Attachments

• YankeeWigeonbf.jpg
    YankeeWigeonbf.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 263
What sex is this bird? Can a female American Wigeon ever show this dark an eyepatch? I'd hazard that if it can, that's what it is, unless we want to get into eclipse intersex hybrids etc...

That is a Chiloe wigeon hybrid, but I am not sure with what...

It is not Chiloe x Eurasian wigeon; I am not sure about Chiloe x American Wigeon, but doubt it due to the very sharp pale fringes on the scapulars tertials etc and general paleness of the birds head and flanks.

Maybe it could be Chiloe Wigeon x Speckled Teal. There have been some more birds arount last year where I suspect this parentage.

Could you ask the photographer if more pictures are available? Speculum would be guite interesting...

And I think the bird here is a male with that green patch.

Last edited:
This is the only other picture that hasbeen posted on the Glamorgan Birds Forum.

Attachments

• yankee_wigeon_1bf.jpg
    yankee_wigeon_1bf.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 134
It looks as if the same, or very, very similar, bird has turned up in Warwickshire.

Attachments

• 6Q2C6833.jpg
    6Q2C6833.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 71
  • 6Q2C6837.jpg
    6Q2C6837.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 64
I'd say American x Chiloe hybrid.

Hi Gentoo, why do you think so? I didn´t find pictures of hybrids American x Chiloe wigeon, but all wigeons have a similar bill pattern and bill shape. The Warwickshire bird is slightly different in the bill from all 3 species of wigeon and also from hybrid wigeon.

Also, CHiloe x Eurasian wigeon does not give birds with dark feathers with thin pale edges on the mantle , this is much more washed out.
So I also wouldn´t expect such a pattern as in the warwickshire bird for hybrids American x Chiloe wigeon.

Attachments

• Beak comparison Warwickshire hybrid -Wigeons.JPG
    Beak comparison Warwickshire hybrid -Wigeons.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Chiloe x Eurasian wigeon.JPG
    Chiloe x Eurasian wigeon.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 57
Hi Gentoo, why do you think so? I didn´t find pictures of hybrids American x Chiloe wigeon, but all wigeons have a similar bill pattern and bill shape. The Warwickshire bird is slightly different in the bill from all 3 species of wigeon and also from hybrid wigeon.

Also, CHiloe x Eurasian wigeon does not give birds with dark feathers with thin pale edges on the mantle , this is much more washed out.
So I also wouldn´t expect such a pattern as in the warwickshire bird for hybrids American x Chiloe wigeon.

Good points on that bill pattern joern. I was really only guessing by it's intermediate appearance as I've not seen such a hybrid myself yet. I'd definitely say there's Chiloe Wigeon in it. Perhaps a Bahama Pintail is involved as mentioned above? We have both species at SeaWorld, I'll have to asked if they've ever hybridized there in the past.

Good points on that bill pattern joern. I was really only guessing by it's intermediate appearance as I've not seen such a hybrid myself yet. I'd definitely say there's Chiloe Wigeon in it. Perhaps a Bahama Pintail is involved as mentioned above? We have both species at SeaWorld, I'll have to asked if they've ever hybridized there in the past.

both those species have hybridized in the past, there was a nice example on the website of Ian Gereg, but this seems to be unavailable at the moment. So at the moment I can not probvide you with a photo link for this hybrid combination.
But from my experiences i did a crude drawing (I hate drawing with the mouse) ; see distribution of black on bills of chiloe wigeon x Bahama pintail and warwickshire hybrid.

Then compare with specled teal bill pattern:

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/speckledteal.html

distribution of black on bill in the hybrid is very similar to speckled teal in my eyes. What do you think?

Attachments

• zeichnung.JPG
    zeichnung.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
both those species have hybridized in the past, there was a nice example on the website of Ian Gereg, but this seems to be unavailable at the moment. So at the moment I can not probvide you with a photo link for this hybrid combination.
But from my experiences i did a crude drawing (I hate drawing with the mouse) ; see distribution of black on bills of chiloe wigeon x Bahama pintail and warwickshire hybrid.

Then compare with specled teal bill pattern:

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/speckledteal.html

distribution of black on bill in the hybrid is very similar to speckled teal in my eyes. What do you think?

I'm agreeing with you more and more. I'm not familiar with Speckled Teal either but your demonstration makes pretty good sense. You are the waterfowl hybrid expert here too. I'm only really good with some goose hybrids.

I'm agreeing with you more and more. I'm not familiar with Speckled Teal either but your demonstration makes pretty good sense. You are the waterfowl hybrid expert here too. I'm only really good with some goose hybrids.

But it is also guesswork for me here...so I could also be wrong!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back