• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colonsay (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
I'm off to Colonsay for a week at the end of May and was wondering if anyone had some top tips of the best places to go bird and general wildlife wise.

Thanks in advance

Mono

The only thing I would add to that is: don't miss Pigs' Paradise, a wonderful seabird colony, and you can get amazingly close views of some nesting birds (I know Mono's link mentions it, just wanted to emphasise it). Let me know if you want any advice on how to get there.

There are plenty of Corncrakes in the Lower Kilchattan / Port Mor area, and Choughs spread widely over the north and west of the island. Both also on Oransay. AFAIK (I hope I'm wrong) Golden Eagles haven't nested for several years now - the island is just too small, and the hills not remote enough (though some of them seem pretty remote when you're struggling over them ;) ).

<EDIT> that was of course JTweedie's link, sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Having had most of my Hebrides birding in the Western Isles I'm surprised by the lack of skuas and no short eared owls.

Now just have to hope the weather is kind.

I have seen one Bonxie off Pigs' Paradise, and apparently Arctics [used to ?] fly over occasionally from Jura, but that's it. Yes, SEOs would be nice - but instead you've got LEO (apparently - I've never come across them).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back