• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Went for a very late afternoon walk - arrived Holme 4.30pm

Parked at Toilet block opposite village carpark at Holme main beach.

Juv. Gannet flying east, lots of usual waders on shore, knot, turnstone, ringed plover, loads of oystercatchers, gulls etc. Walked along inner dunes to Gore Point and flushed a Woodcock from sueda bush (we both made each other jump;)) at the end of dune ridge. Crossed over beach to walk along top coastal path and into the Forestry (NWT). Nice little party of Long tailed tits, wren, few hedge sparrows, blackbirds, meadow pipits. Not alot else, which I didn't really expect at this time. Walked right down to observatory and back along road and had blurry views in the dark of a barn owl sitting on a post.

Very amusing incident today in my garden - while watching a flurry of birds in my garden, now I have decided to fill the feeders again, of greenfinches, house sparrows, coal and blue tit, blackbird, hedge sparrow and collard dove, a VERY cheeky squirrel decided to visit the nuts too - well I decided to put posh cat outside (my spoilt persian) to scare off the squirrel. Just to explain, I have patio doors which lead onto paved area which is enclosed by a 12 foot trellis area to keep cat in with a gate leading through to rest of garden - so cat can't get out, and also can't get the birds. The cat just sat (stupid cat!) and watched the squirrel - she didn't budge an inch - the squirrel then decided to investigate the big, furry white lump sitting on patio - it shot up the 12ft trellis, sat on top, looked at me (only yards away), looked at Sapphire (cat) and started to come down the trellis and towards Sapphire - at this point I couldn't take the risk of what was could have happened next, I had visions of a big vet bill!!!! so hurtled myself towards the squirrel and it did move, back onto other side of garden, but it didn't hurry and not long afterwards it did the same thing again!!! After telling this story to mother, she also had one do a similar thing today - it was after the figs and was annoyed that mother was in its pathway and sounded quite angry!!! So watch out!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Carol Inskipp and myself started the day at Wells where we at last nailed the Great White Egret amongst goodness knows how many Little Egrets!
Moving onto Holkham we saw three White-fronted Geese and one questionable Lesser White-fronted Goose. At Meals House two Firecrests were in the Broom next to the wire fence of the garden.
From the village hides at Holme a Kingfisher flew low across the water as hundreds of Pink-footed Geese took to the air.

Sue

Hi, Penny,
For a variety of reasons I missed your posting on the 15th October when you asked me if I knew Simon King. The answer is no, but you are certainly right in that I am fortunate enough to lead a very exciting life. My two elder children are heavily involved at quite senior level in the safari business, so my love of the African bush seems to have passed on into the family.
I mentioned that I enjoyed your writing - you may not know that it was because of your efforts and others like you that my wife and I visited Norfolk for the first time on 18th, 19th and 20th July this year. We loved it to bits, and managed to get to Salthouse, Cley, Titchwell and Hickling Broad in the short time we had available, but the weather, sad to say, was diabolical. Didn't help the birding much - not only rain but lots of wind - and it didn't get any better, because after leaving Norfolk we drove across England to visit friends living in the Cotswolds, and got caught up in the floods around Gloucester.

Anyway, Penny, keep up the good work with pen and camera. I enjoy catching up with what you and the other Norfolk birders are finding. You certainly live in an area which seems to record more rarities than almost anywhere else in UK.
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Hi, Penny,
For a variety of reasons I missed your posting on the 15th October when you asked me if I knew Simon King. The answer is no, but you are certainly right in that I am fortunate enough to lead a very exciting life. My two elder children are heavily involved at quite senior level in the safari business, so my love of the African bush seems to have passed on into the family.
I mentioned that I enjoyed your writing - you may not know that it was because of your efforts and others like you that my wife and I visited Norfolk for the first time on 18th, 19th and 20th July this year. We loved it to bits, and managed to get to Salthouse, Cley, Titchwell and Hickling Broad in the short time we had available, but the weather, sad to say, was diabolical. Didn't help the birding much - not only rain but lots of wind - and it didn't get any better, because after leaving Norfolk we drove across England to visit friends living in the Cotswolds, and got caught up in the floods around Gloucester.

Anyway, Penny, keep up the good work with pen and camera. I enjoy catching up with what you and the other Norfolk birders are finding. You certainly live in an area which seems to record more rarities than almost anywhere else in UK.
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Hi David

Thank you very much for your kind words;), I certainly will try very hard to keep up my 'ramblings' on BF!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed Norfolk, the weather has been diabolical most of the summer I am afraid - hopefully next time you come this way, the sun will shine for you both|8)|

Family duties today, so could not get out until late.

Burnham Norton Marshes 4pm.

Dull, horrible weather.

I nearly didn't get out of the car - it didn't look very inviting, especially at this time of the day, but forced myself out and actually had some surprising birds!

In the brambles, along path were a couple of blackbirds, lots of flocks of starlings coming in. As I walked along the path through the reed beds at the end, before crossing wooden bridge to seabank I decided to do some 'psshhhing' which resulted in several beautifully marked reed buntings appearing and playing in the reeds! Lots of canada geese, greylags, brent geese, wigeon, teal, 2 little egrets, 1 Marsh Harrier came gliding over. Along seabank, 8 bramblings flew over. Redshanks, 1 heron, wren, coots, cormorant, several flocks of lapwings, 3 mute swans, robin ticking away and suddenly at the far corner, where there are lots of bushes, elders and hawthorns etc, I heard the sudden short burst of a Cettis Warbler! - very interesting as I have heard Cettis here in the same spot several times before! My short birding trip ended with fantastic views of 2 female Marsh Harriers flying together along with a Sparrowhawk over fields at Burnham Overy and almost back to the carpark I heard a familiar 'chacking noise' - a Fieldfare landed on a hawthorn. Back to the car, cup of tea and sandwich while watching thousands of starlings gathering to roost in the reeds. It was worth getting out of the car for!

Back to the car, cup of tea and sandwich while watching thousands of starlings gathering to roost in the reeds. It was worth getting out of the car for!

Penny, Can you tell me where the car park is from which you saw the starlings? To me this is one of the great sights of the natural world. These pre-roost aerobatics have featured on Bill Oddie, Nature's Calendar, and a couple of weeks back, on Alan Titchmarsh's programme. I would love to watch it in real life, even though probably not on the same scale so far as numbers are concerned. Thanks!

Nigel

Sunday looks like SW winds with heavy rain - sounds like a bit of a wash out, for for those bold enough it looks good conditions for Pallid Swifts,

They turn up in in SW or Southerlies in warm sectors of low pressure areas, they are very difficult to get accepted by rarity committees so its worth genning up on features before you go out.

The last influx happened a couple of years ago - one flew past behind my back when i was looking for a lil bunt at Morston, then had a possible at Salthouse then the chap i was with notoriously crashed his car into some womans landrover along the back streets of Kelling when we were going for two at Upper Sheringham!

Sunday looks like SW winds with heavy rain - sounds like a bit of a wash out, for for those bold enough it looks good conditions for Pallid Swifts,

They turn up in in SW or Southerlies in warm sectors of low pressure areas, they are very difficult to get accepted by rarity committees so its worth genning up on features before you go out.

The last influx happened a couple of years ago - one flew past behind my back when i was looking for a lil bunt at Morston, then had a possible at Salthouse then the chap i was with notoriously crashed his car into some womans landrover along the back streets of Kelling when we were going for two at Upper Sheringham!

Cheers. It has been easterlies the last few days and conditions have been right further east for Saturday to have a lot of potential for Sib stuff too.

Penny, Can you tell me where the car park is from which you saw the starlings? To me this is one of the great sights of the natural world. These pre-roost aerobatics have featured on Bill Oddie, Nature's Calendar, and a couple of weeks back, on Alan Titchmarsh's programme. I would love to watch it in real life, even though probably not on the same scale so far as numbers are concerned. Thanks!

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Turn into right (from your end of coast) off A149 into Burnham Norton village and follow the road (houses either side) until you come to a very sharp left hand (almost blind) bend - turn off right instead, to a carparking area where there is a Holkham Nature Reserve Map with marked walks.

I have seen recently, good starling acrobatics at Holme and I am sure Titchwell must be good too. In fact the best starling roosting I have ever seen was at Titchwell from the Fen Hide last year - the skies were black with starlings - it was something I will never forget.

Spent yesterday afternoon at Holkham, picked up the Ross's goose easily enough, what do people make of its credentials? This is a new bird for me so my experience of wild Ross's is limited to say the least. Lovely Great Grey Shrike in the dunes (presumably the same bird I saw when I went to see the Subalpine Warbler?).
Scanning the dunes and marsh there was a suprise waiting in the shape of a Sacred Ibis! I understand this bird has been around for a while now, seems happy enough hanging around with the Geese.
Possible Firecrest in the woods, those things wont sit still.
Heading out again on sunday, good to be out and about at the moment.
Cheers, Jim.

Hi Nigel

Turn into right (from your end of coast) off A149 into Burnham Norton village and follow the road (houses either side) until you come to a very sharp left hand (almost blind) bend - turn off right instead, to a carparking area where there is a Holkham Nature Reserve Map with marked walks.

I have seen recently, good starling acrobatics at Holme and I am sure Titchwell must be good too. In fact the best starling roosting I have ever seen was at Titchwell from the Fen Hide last year - the skies were black with starlings - it was something I will never forget.

Thanks for the information, Penny. I'll have a look along there one evening.

Nigel

Nigel

Were you aware of the roost at Cley at the moment?, might not be as large as penny's roost but a bit closer to home as you are from Sheringham. Last
time I was there I watched them from the Irene Hide by Pats pool, often flying directly overhead, the pic below only shows a small number of the entire flock.

Attachments

• cleyset1 023 (Custom).jpg
    cleyset1 023 (Custom).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 121
Wrong county but when we were in Lowestoft as the light was fading one evening last winter we watched thousands of Starlings pouring in through a hole in the roof of a derelict building just off the seafront. That was pretty impressive.

Edit. A few years ago they used to roost at St Nicholas' Church in Yarmouth. I don't know if they still do.

Were you aware of the roost at Cley at the moment?, might not be as large as penny's roost but a bit closer to home as you are from Sheringham. Last
time I was there I watched them from the Irene Hide by Pats pool, often flying directly overhead, the pic below only shows a small number of the entire flock.

Thanks, Matt - I think you mentioned the Cley roost a week or two back. So I went along there one evening and arrived at the precise moment the fun stopped and they were dropping into the reeds! I'll be checking them out again, but it sounded as if Penny's roost might be a bit larger.

Nigel

When I was young I used to see lots of Yellowhammers and Bullfinches in Norfolk but these days I hardly every see them, although I did see a two Bullfinches at Strumpshaw a couple of months ago. Are they thin on the ground here or am I looking in the wrong places?

Ron

Last edited:

The starling roost at Cley has always been worth a look - I remember spending numerous evenings in one of the hides (at the time a shed with a tin roof, now Bishops hide) - the sight of them was great, but the sound as thousands flew over the hide was even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back